FAILED QC, blacklisted?

Hi

I have my first QC fail after uploading over 3000 photos. Seems harsh, the 10days rule perhaps but my QC dropped

to one star based on one in 3000? Harsh?

Am I blacklisted now ? I mean do I need to expect problems going forward with every upload and only upload small batches?

Any advice would be really good.

Thanks

Elaine

Until recently, we used to get a month in the Sin Bin. Count your blessings. 

The way to move forward is to understand the reason for that one image's rejection. Alwayys look at all your submissions at 100%. The path to success is learning from your mistakes. 

Good luck,

Edo

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

The way to move forward is to understand the reason for that one image's rejection. Alwayys look at all your submissions at 100%. The path to success is learning from your mistakes. 

Good luck,

Edo

Off topic, excuse me. But Edo, I periodically take a peek at your images to see the well-presented food. Just did that, and now my appetite is kick-started. I’ve lost weight due to illness, maybe I’ll gain back a pound today. Always a pleasure.

Betty

Thank you, Betty

I'm sorry to hear about you being ill. 

I enjoy shooting food. It let's me play the air director, something that's hard to do with Street.  But tabletop meals are not my best sellers. I'm trying to figure out what would improve sales. Overall, my food images include: produce in markets, food on shelves in stores, alfresco dining, and tabletop. Most of what you see I cook and shoot at home. Restaurants have become very expensive here. At home I use one window light -- I'm the Vermeer of Munchies. 

And you do very well with food yourself. 

Edo

1 hour ago, Niels Quist said:

Only a disaster if you fail with a single star only:

http://www.alamy.com/blog/alamy-qc-how-it-works

I've never had more than one star. A couple of fails last autumn made no difference to my QC time, they still go through overnight. 46 passes in a row has made no difference to my star rating either- still only one.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thank you, Betty

I'm sorry to hear about you being ill. 

I enjoy shooting food. It let's me play the air director, something that's hard to do with Street.  But tabletop meals are not my best sellers. I'm trying to figure out what would improve sales. Overall, my food images include: produce in markets, food on shelves in stores, alfresco dining, and tabletop. Most of what you see I cook and shoot at home. Restaurants have become very expensive here. At home I use one window light -- I'm the Vermeer of Munchies. 

And you do very well with food yourself. 

Edo

They are slow sellers. I’ve only sold 22 of food or drink in 10 years. I do have repeats of certain ones which will remain a closely guarded secret.:D 

23 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I've never had more than one star. A couple of fails last autumn made no difference to my QC time, they still go through overnight. 46 passes in a row has made no difference to my star rating either- still only one.

Yes, Mark. One star for me and mine are passed overnight in as little as 10-12 hours. And I’m like you, with many passes/no fails. All I can say is pay attention to your own personal QC and don’t obsess. I will add, though, if you’ve checked for dust, CA, noise and that’s ok, but you study an image trying to decide if it’s sharp enough, it probably isn’t.  Tossing those is when my passes became consistent.

Betty

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good luck,

Edo

Ah yes, the infamous Sin Bin. I have fond memories of those 30-day vacations.

Those were the days...

the-sin-bin-sports-grill-in-vancouver-bc

Really grateful for the feedback thanks everyone.

Initially, I used to always check all photos at 100% but lately just run  the size checker tool on them, so will take your advice

and use more vigilance going forward.

17 minutes ago, efk11 said:

Initially, I used to always check all photos at 100% but lately just run  the size checker tool on them, so will take your advice

Good for you. It is easy to become complacent. That’s when you will get bit in the nether regions. :P

39 minutes ago, efk11 said:

Good on you, Elaine! Yes it's tedious and time consuming, but it has to be done.  I spend a lot of time doing PP.  I'm a three-star fabulous dude now, but in the past my fails have all been because of something I missed in PP. 

Betty -- I too have had 22 tabletop food sales!  But my food-related images are 25% of my sales. 

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good on you, Elaine! Yes it's tedious and time consuming, but it has to be done.  I spend a lot of time doing PP.  I'm a three-star fabulous dude now, but in the past my fails have all been because of something I missed in PP. 

Betty -- I too have had 22 tabletop food sales!  But my food-related images are 25% of my sales. 

Weird, that! I haven’t done the %.

24 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm a three-star fabulous dude now, but in the past my fails have all been because of something I missed in PP. 

To my surprise, I was promoted to a three-star general as well last year. No doubt, one or two false moves and that can easily change. Glad to hear that the locked-out time has been reduced to ten days, though. The old 30-day banishment was a very large sword hanging over our heads.

3 hours ago, efk11 said:

Always, always check at 100%. They do, so you must.

Alan

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, Mark. One star for me and mine are passed overnight in as little as 10-12 hours. And I’m like you, with many passes/no fails. All I can say is pay attention to your own personal QC and don’t obsess. I will add, though, if you’ve checked for dust, CA, noise and that’s ok, but you study an image trying to decide if it’s sharp enough, it probably isn’t.  Tossing those is when my passes became consistent.

Betty

Very wisely stated Betty.  As I become older, the camera somehow has become less steady. :rolleyes:  I caught myself doing just what you said, just the other day.  And, you know what; I tossed it!

Slight motion blur, or soft, images are killing me.  

Going back to the dark recesses of 2007 to revisit keywords, I encountered a number of failed images (they never go away, my slate is marked!), mainly due to dust bugs. In those days you were not sent to jail, could have been my misdemeanours that started that trend.

On the advice of another contributor whose name, sadly, I can't recall, I generally use a high contrast filter to show up the muck. I always double check at 100%, it's surprising what you miss on the first pass.

Here's my PS action, called Filter. I've little idea what it does but it works!

Make an adjustment layer

Mode linear burn

Slot color orange

Type photo filter

Filter color Lab color

A:32

B:120

Density 25

Preserve luminosity

Select layer background

You can tone it down  if the skies are too dark, click on the layer and reduce opacity.

Don't forget to switch the adjustment layer off, I've uploaded an image ( which passed QC) with it left on, Doh......

I'm new to all this and didn't know they would/could blacklist people! Good to know. I haven't had an issue yet, but just did a shoot where there is just too much grain to use the images. :( I'm glad I didn't even try to upload them!

Archived