After holding steady at slightly above the Alamy average for the first half of 2017, my CTR graph shows a gradual decline in CTR beginning in June (when it spiked unexpectedly) until it's now below the Alamy average.

Anyone else noticing a similar pattern?

47 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Of course I have. But since I’m having the best month ever, and most of my good stuff comes up on page 1 or 2, I’m not too concerned.

That's good to hear. I'm not overly concerned either, but my CTR seems to be a lot more fickle than it used to be, at least according to the graph. I'm used to it more or less staying put. Just wondering if this apparent CTR volatility is something new.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

After holding steady at slightly above the Alamy average for the first half of 2017, my CTR graph shows a gradual decline in CTR beginning in June (when it spiked unexpectedly) until it's now below the Alamy average.

Yup, exactly the same. Not only CTR, but sale volume was impressive for the first half of the year, but has been sinking since. Not even a sniff of a sale this month. Could be my first blank month in two years. 

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Same here, but as we are comparing with the average, somebody must be doing ok (or is there a bug about?).

Looking back I had a CTR of 0.9 last October, while it is currently standing at 0.32. In that time I have reworked the keywords on most of my images, that might not have been a good idea........

Mine, over the last two months, has taken a precipitous dive but with a portfolio of just under 500 images I guess that is to be expected.  My graph goes straight up and straight down.  Just one Zoom makes a huge difference at this stage.  :-)  I'm still above the site average but that won't last much longer unless I get a zoom.  Can a guy just get a zoom?

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Same here, but as we are comparing with the average, somebody must be doing ok (or is there a bug about?).

Looking back I had a CTR of 0.9 last October, while it is currently standing at 0.32. In that time I have reworked the keywords on most of my images, that might not have been a good idea........

I've wondered about that as well. My dropping CTR seems to coincide with my reworking of keywords/tags in older images. But who knows?

9 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Mine started off relatively high at the beginning of the year, then steadily declined though to May, then had a fantastic spike in June (must have been a lot of Vancouver searches!) It has been fairly steady the last few months, holding a bit above or below the alamy average.

My CTR is about the same as last October, and I have reworked a lot of images.  I don't feel that's harming my CTR or placement of my images in searches.

My CTR is bad and steadily getting worse!  It's standing at 0.57 at the moment, down from roughly 1 a couple of months ago.  No reported sales so far this month,  although I did make 3 newspaper sales of Ophelia pics.   Things have to improve soon!

9 hours ago, MariaJ said:

Mine started off relatively high at the beginning of the year, then steadily declined though to May, then had a fantastic spike in June (must have been a lot of Vancouver searches!) It has been fairly steady the last few months, holding a bit above or below the alamy average.

My CTR is about the same as last October, and I have reworked a lot of images.  I don't feel that's harming my CTR or placement of my images in searches.

I had that same big spike in June after oodles of zooms of Vancouver images. Not sure how many sales they resulted in, though. CTR seems a lot more sensitive than it used to. I had five zooms yesterday, and they immediately gave my CTR a big boost (from 0.40 to 0.50). It will probably now start falling again.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I had that same big spike in June after oodles of zooms of Vancouver images. Not sure how many sales they resulted in, though. CTR seems a lot more sensitive than it used to. I had five zooms yesterday, and they immediately gave my CTR a big boost (from 0.40 to 0.50). It will probably now start falling again.

I've had two reported sales from that huge pile of zooms in June, and neither was in Vancouver, or even in BC.

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've wondered about that as well. My dropping CTR seems to coincide with my reworking of keywords/tags in older images. But who knows?

Possibly reworking the keywords are putting some of the former moldering images higher in the searches. So that the single image you had on the first or second page has now been joined by one or two older images. Instead of having one view in a fairly shallow search, you have two or three. 

That would drop your CTR, yes?

Seems to me, though, you’d have a greater chance at making a sale with more than one image viewed.

Correct my thinking if I’m reaching, here.

Betty

edted to add...my CTR is not good, but my sales are very good this month, and I’ve been reworking images like crazy.

52 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Possibly reworking the keywords are putting some of the former moldering images higher in the searches. So that the single image you had on the first or second page has now been joined by one or two older images. Instead of having one view in a fairly shallow search, you have two or three. 

That would drop your CTR, yes?

Seems to me, though, you’d have a greater chance at making a sale with more than one image viewed.

Correct my thinking if I’m reaching, here.

Betty

edted to add...my CTR is not good, but my sales are very good this month, and I’ve been reworking images like crazy.

Could be. Stuff like CTR baffles me, I'm afraid.

All my zooms and sales this month have been of images that I've yet to do tag-repair on, which must say something, but I'm not sure what.

There does not seem to be much logic to this CTR business. Mine bumbled along at 0.5 for most of 2016 then in december (always a poor month for me) it jumped to around 0.8 and has stayed there until 2 months ago when it jumped to 1.0 then 1.5 where it is now. 

i have not uploaded for 3 years,all my images are orange for discoverability, i have never deleted an image or revisited keywords. Stemming, key phrases and all the other Alamy mumbo jumbo remains a mystery to me. My keywords,which usually number about 6 per file are based upon what and why.

Regen

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

All my zooms and sales this month have been of images that I've yet to do tag-repair on, which must say something, but I'm not sure what.

Nearly all of my sales this month are of images at least 3 years old. Some from 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010.  Reworked.  I think I’ve sold maybe three more recent ones, 2014 and later.

My tags are just fine on everything after AIM, it’s the nearly 5000 before that’s the problem. Nearly every..single..one..of..those..have to have something done to them. And the bulk that of them have.  I’m sniffing the finish line.

Betty

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Nearly all of my sales this month are of images at least 3 years old. Some from 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010.  Reworked.  I think I’ve sold maybe three more recent ones, 2014 and later.

My tags are just fine on everything after AIM, it’s the nearly 5000 before that’s the problem. Nearly every..single..one..of..those..have to have something done to them. And the bulk that of them have.  I’m sniffing the finish line.

Betty

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:
  11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

My sales this month cover nearly every year from 2006 to 2014(last time i submitted) I have yet to see any proof that spending a huge amount of time revisiting previously uploaded files is productive. However its possible that the new AIM,will,at sometime in the future,have an effect.

Regen

Pretty much identical pattern for me John. My CTR has took a serious dive but my sales total is higher this year than it's ever been.

One thing I've learnt over the years about CTR stats and sales etc on Alamy is that the only constant is that it's random.

Andy

On 10/26/2017 at 22:55, Betty LaRue said:

Of course I have. But since I’m having the best month ever, and most of my good stuff comes up on page 1 or 2, I’m not too concerned.

've to agree with Betty, same behaviour (expect for the BME :lol:)

On 10/27/2017 at 00:38, losdemas said:

Yup, exactly the same. Not only CTR, but sale volume was impressive for the first half of the year, but has been sinking since. Not even a sniff of a sale this month. Could be my first blank month in two years. 

've to agree with you too!! Just sold a $44 licence in a blank month.. but Halloween is still to come lol

On 10/27/2017 at 02:31, Bryan said:

Bryan, i did the same..reworked all my pics and CTR goes down.

Sales are quite the same btw, so i guess Alamy changed the way CTR is calculated

On 10/27/2017 at 21:22, regen said:

There does not seem to be much logic to this CTR business. Mine bumbled along at 0.5 for most of 2016 then in december (always a poor month for me) it jumped to around 0.8 and has stayed there until 2 months ago when it jumped to 1.0 then 1.5 where it is now. 

i have not uploaded for 3 years,all my images are orange for discoverability, i have never deleted an image or revisited keywords. Stemming, key phrases and all the other Alamy mumbo jumbo remains a mystery to me. My keywords,which usually number about 6 per file are based upon what and why.

Regen

Regen, the real question is: what about sales?

3 years without uploading and you still have a good behaviour in sales? That would relaxes me a lot lol

1 hour ago, KODAKovic said:

Regen, the real question is: what about sales?

3 years without uploading and you still have a good behaviour in sales? That would relaxes me a lot lol

Since 2014 sales have exactly doubled but prices have fallen by 70% only just starting to hold their own this year. If prices had remained buoyant then I would have been encouraged to upload again.

Regen

I can almost guarantee that after my positive posts about October, November will probably be horrible for me and force me to eat humble pie. That’s the way of this business it seems, to be soaring in the clouds one month, crash and burn the next.

I’m strapping on my parachute.  ;)

Betty

Archived