Help with LR and ACR settings

I always give this caveat. I’m not technical.  LR always used to open into Photoshop in 16 bit. If I only opened in ACR, the images opened into Bridge in 16 bit.

Now that I have CC 2018 with LR Classic, everything opens in 8 bit. I can’t find where to change that. Back in the day, before CC, each new PS I bought I had to struggle to find where to set it up.  Now, nothing is the same. The target seems to move. Considering how many pros use these products, I think the default should be 16 bit. NOT 8!!!

If anyone can point me step>by>step I would be grateful.

Betty

It's not 8 or 16 bit of course until you save it as something else.  Open an image in Camera Raw - down at the bottom of the screen below your image you will see a link saying something like 'Adobe RGB; 8 bit; 6000 by 4000 (24mp); 300 ppi'.  Click on this and it will open up the 'Workflow Options' dialogue.  Top right is the depth setting, change to 16 bit and you're done.  You only need to do this once.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Vincent Lowe said:

It's not 8 or 16 bit of course until you save it as something else.  Open an image in Camera Raw - down at the bottom of the screen below your image you will see a link saying something like 'Adobe RGB; 8 bit; 6000 by 4000 (24mp); 300 ppi'.  Click on this and it will open up the 'Workflow Options' dialogue.  Top right is the depth setting, change to 16 bit and you're done.  You only need to do this once.

Hope that helps.

Heck, yes, it helps. :D Thank you! I like to do my work in 16 bit, of course. In the past, when I was ready to “save as”, the image would be 16 bit. From there I’d either save as 8 bit tiff or jpeg. 

Archived