Bit of a general question, but, do people 'bump' their stock onto the news feed for greater exposure when a vaguely related story hits the news. For example if you had a load of images of a particular shop and they went bust would you then put them on news even though there is the stock section full of the generic shop images?

6 minutes ago, Russell said:

"News images" need to be shot on the day, so the short answer is no. I think Alamy reject anything over 24hrs old.

File images are acceptable if relevant, but you'd have to reupload it to the newsfeed. You can't "transfer" it from the stock collection. I've done it for an obit. No sales though.

The rules don't seem to have changed (see point 2)

We need:

JPEG images uploaded as soon as possible
    Images older than 24 hours will be rejected (except in exceptional circumstances).
    IPTC headline, caption and date added before you upload
    You need to add these in the correct IPTC metadata fields of the images before you upload.
    A true representation of what you saw
    Nothing should be added, removed or altered (e.g. the image should not be lightened/darkened in a way that changes sunny clouds into thunderous clouds).
    Images of the highest quality possible
    We understand that there are some occasions where they won’t be technically perfect.

There isn’t an advantage to live news unless the news team sends out the images to news desks which they wouldn’t for old images, also from the site... For editorial images more than 48 hours old, please search the main collection from the home page.

2 minutes ago, Russell said:

The rules don't seem to have changed (see point 2)

We need:

JPEG images uploaded as soon as possible
    Images older than 24 hours will be rejected (except in exceptional circumstances).

Quite so. I emailed before my obit sub and was told to make it clear it was a file picture and to email after upload. In effect you make a pitch for its inclusion as news in the caption.

I think it would need to be really exceptional circumstances. If contributors were permitted to push forward old images on the basis of possible relevancy to a current news story, the live stream would likely be swamped on a daily basis. That would be no good to Alamy and no good to us. 

2 hours ago, James Hodgson said:

Bit of a general question, but, do people 'bump' their stock onto the news feed for greater exposure when a vaguely related story hits the news. For example if you had a load of images of a particular shop and they went bust would you then put them on news even though there is the stock section full of the generic shop images?

What you've got to remember is how editorial sales normally work. Picture editors will search stock agencies to illustrate the stories they are looking to cover - and for which they'll likely pay a lot less than for that which they would from Live News. Having said that, I've also sold an obit image I uploaded as a file image having contacted the team beforehand.

Thanks everyone for the responses...

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

What you've got to remember is how editorial sales normally work. Picture editors will search stock agencies to illustrate the stories they are looking to cover - and for which they'll likely pay a lot less than for that which they would from Live News. Having said that, I've also sold an obit image I uploaded as a file image having contacted the team beforehand.

That seems to be the main factor. Why would they pay more on the news feed when they can get the same cheaper from stock.

Thanks again.

James

Archived