For all Sony users --Capture One--

Hello Folks,

I know there are some Sony users in our forum. 

Since a time i am using Capture One Pro (For Sony) Raw editing program. I must say i like it much more then Lightroom. It seems to understand the Sony camera better. Next to that it works very fast and gives amazing results. 

For all Sony users that dont know it.... On the website of Phase One and also through a link on the official Sony website you have the possibility to download completely for free Capture One Express. You will have all the quality as Capture One Pro but just for free. This all is possible through a partnership of Sony with Phase One. Despite the "Express" version is already a amazing program by its own yoy can still get the Pro version for Sony that cost only 50 USD.

So if you need a good replacement for Lightroom for your Sony camera try the program above. 

Good luck.

Mirco

Yes i understand of course that everyone has his own opinions. My post was more to let Sony users be aware that they have a official Sony partner program for free that is very powerful. Many like me didnt know that so i dont want to get others in the same situation :).

4 minutes ago, MircoV said:

Yes i understand of course that everyone has his own opinions. My post was more to let Sony users be aware that they have a official Sony partner program for free that is very powerful. Many like me didnt know that so i dont want to get others in the same situation :).

Sure. It was just because I am a Sony user since the beginning (mainly because I owned some good Minolta lens) and found their RAW software (Image Data Converter)  very slow and not very useful. RawTherapee propose many post-processing functions and metadata edition and is fast.

3 minutes ago, Southmind said:

Sure. It was just because I am a Sony user since the beginning (mainly because I owned some good Minolta lens) and found their RAW software (Image Data Converter)  very slow and not very useful. RawTherapee propose many post-processing functions and metadata edition and is fast.

Just dont get confused with the Image Data Converter. Capture One is a completely different concept. It is a programm that for other users then Sony would cost 279 USD. It is the deal that Sony has with Phase One that it is for free or 50 USD. The programm is very complex and has everything. You can buy even Styles or presets. Is used by many professionals. 

2 hours ago, Southmind said:

Thanks MircoV. I will try , but I use RawTherapee (Last version  5.3) to process my raw files and it's very powerful (and free...) 

I also use free software - for raw processing I personally prefer darktable - which is available for Mac and Linux. 

12 hours ago, Southmind said:

I had a look (the Mac Version) . It seems easy to use.  Thanks

At the time I looked into both and found darktable more intuitive than Raw Therapee. 

The difference is probably marginal, and I just had another look into Raw-Therapee. 

Quick scan reveled it seems to have some more options to control CA - I need to have a deeper look into that again. 

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I found the free version of Capture One Express to be too limited. No doubt the Pro version has a lot more features, though.

I'm currently using DxO OpticsPro, which I quite like.

John, both Raw Therapee and Darktable are genuinely free software distributed using the GNU General Public License

They are not an offspring of professional software that sometimes  is designed to generate appetite to buy the full Version. 

I believe both offer professional functionality comparable with other off the shelf products, albeit I have not looked personally into that personally. 

Most software bought off the shelf would anyway not be compatible with my Linux system to start with. 

If I were asked, both are worth a look and a comparison, prior to buying any other product. 

11 hours ago, hdh said:

John, both Raw Therapee and Darktable are genuinely free software distributed using the GNU General Public License

They are not an offspring of professional software that sometimes  is designed to generate appetite to buy the full Version. 

I believe both offer professional functionality comparable with other off the shelf products, albeit I have not looked personally into that personally. 

Most software bought off the shelf would anyway not be compatible with my Linux system to start with. 

If I were asked, both are worth a look and a comparison, prior to buying any other product. 

Thanks, I'll check them out. I'm currently using  OptcsPro 9 Elite that DxO was giving away free awhile ago. It works very well on my aging Windows 7 machine in conjunction with PS Elements.

Archived