Photo used in presentations - potential issue with RM license?

I have a query regarding image usage. Suppose you have a photo selling under a Rights Managed license on Alamy. At the same time, can someone else (say a University lecturer or professor) use the image in presentations like lectures and seminars etc? In other words, the image would be displayed in such scenarios and not published. 

I don't see that as a problem providing the lecturer isn't exceeding the narrow purpose you provided the image to him - Alamy isn't an exclusive Agency, you can licence through other Agencies or yourself freely.  However, there might be some (fairly rare) scenarios where you might have difficulties though, for example if someone contacts Alamy and enquires whether they can have exclusive use of an image, perhaps because they want it for an advertising campaign and you don't know exactly who is using an image or for what purpose and potentially miss out on a lucrative sale.  

Very good points. Yes, I have photos selling on a number of stock sites (mostly the same images more or less.)

That exclusive use for an advertising campaign would indeed be a rare thing but certainly great if it happens. I wonder if there would be an exception or allowance in the continued use of the image in presentations considering that it's educational use as opposed to advertising.

In theory, the Presentation License should expire so the image would become eligible for an exclusive use. I've had this with a few previously published images.

So far I've only seen Alamy license images for exclusive use for specific industries so if an image is licensed for exclusive commercial use, in theory it would still be available for editorial use.

Yes, the only time Alamy sold a snap of ours for exclusive use, it was limited to just the Financial sector. So, essentially no other banks could use it, but anybody else could still license it. There was a time limit of three years

It was a serious whopper of a sale and I could do with another!

exclusivity in the stock business is a pretty rare thing. Don't stay up late worrying about it. I've been actively in this game fifty years and it's only happened once

Archived