Adobe's new LR "strategy"??

40 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Doesn´t this potentially blow Photoshelter out of the water?

In theory, between Adobe Spark, Adobe Cloud, Adobe Stock, etc, it could blow a wide range of photo companies out of the water.

If you haven't seen it yet, Spark appears to be some sort of web site designed for mobile devices.

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

True, but if Adobe are forcing subscribers to pay for Cloud storage in order to use their products it provides a major disincentive to pay for duplicate storage elsewhere. And despite the add-ons Photoshelter's core business is secure Cloud storage - as the name suggests.

Adobe are already offering stock sales, maybe other web services in the future? Perhaps they want EVERYTHING!!

Your speculations are valid, but as you point out yourself - not just yet. I'm not choosing Adobe plan according to the storage, but as to which softwares I need (LR, PS and Premiere) - happen to get a bunch of storage with it and I do use it to seamlessly work across two computers (desktop and laptop). Photoshelter is for back up, licensing, fulfilment, but primarily a headache free way of a having a website, a hub of sorts. Haven't tried the new Lightroom CC (the cloud based one) - but if it is as capable as the classic one, I can see great potential.

5 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Maybe I misunderstand the new Lightroom but from what I read it will be almost compulsory to rent extensive online storage if you use it.

"People like us" would probably need more storage than perhaps the average user, so yes it is a way of squeezing us - HDDs still works just fine though.

5 hours ago, CHP said:

This short video will help to answer some questions on the Adobe Lightroom strategy and which version might be best for different workflows.  I'll be sticking with desktop version (Lightroom Classic CC.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMSNcM7C0UE

Clarence

Thanks. That helps clarify.

Mark 

New Lightroom CC includes a machine learning engine called Adobe Sensei which claims to recognize keywords automatically (http://www.adobe.com/it/sensei.html#x)

upppsss..that's in italian, no problem Ed right? lol

I'm very curious to see it in action, that's why i'm downloading the demo version of LR CC right now :)

18 hours ago, geogphotos said:

True, but if Adobe are forcing subscribers to pay for Cloud storage in order to use their products it provides a major disincentive to pay for duplicate storage elsewhere. And despite the add-ons Photoshelter's core business is secure Cloud storage - as the name suggests.

Adobe are already offering stock sales, maybe other web services in the future? Perhaps they want EVERYTHING!!

I don't really care so much about PhotoShelter for storage. If you've ever tried to restore your archive from there you'll discover it's a major pain and it's not that cheap. By comparison I pay $60/year for unlimited back-ups elsewhere.

What I do care about is Photoshelter's searchable database for public images. If Adobe's websites are searchable that could put a major dent in PhotoShelter's business.

EDIT: On the other hand, they probably won't have searchable websites because it might compete with Adobe S****.

Thom Hogan has some interesting information on the new Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC (cloud).

At the very bottom of his post is a concerning comment.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/software-for-nikon-dslrs/software-news/digital-photography-softwar/lightroom-fragments.html

Rick

32 minutes ago, Rubens Alarcon said:

Well, this direction being taken by Adobe is leading me to test Capture One, specially because I'm not really happy with how LR handles Fuji files. I have a trip coming up next week. When I come back I'll download the trial and give it a try.

Can you expand on this? Just about to change to Fuji X-T system and just upgraded from LR5 to LR6 in advance of getting the camera so I have support for the RAW conversion.  Don't tell me I'm going to be disappointed! :unsure:

33 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Can you expand on this? Just about to change to Fuji X-T system and just upgraded from LR5 to LR6 in advance of getting the camera so I have support for the RAW conversion.  Don't tell me I'm going to be disappointed! :unsure:

LR6 (desktop version - perpetual license) support/updates will eventually cease. There will be no Lightroom 7. I'm not prepared to keep paying Adobe a monthly subscription fee, specially with the potential for increases in the future.

Regarding image processing, it is just the way the RAW processor converts the images. There is something in the algorithm that renders foliage and finer details with a "mushy" look. There is also an issue with the sharpening. You cannot approach sharpening the same way you'd do with a Canon or Nikon shot. I find that I get better sharpening results (closer to the jpegs produced by the camera) with RAW files when I limit the sharpening Amount to a maximum of 10, and the radius to about 0.8. I can then move the Detail slider way up to 100, if necessary. Using a "standard" DSLR sharpening setting, where you move the Amount slider up, will produce artifacts in the image (people call them "worms"). If you do a Google search for "lightroom fujifilm worms" you'll find more information.

Don't worry too much. I've been using the X-T2 since November of last year, and many of my images here were taken with the Fuji. ALL of them were processed using Lightroom. I have not touched my Nikon gear since then. I'm pleased with the camera compactness and the images it produces, but it is possible to get more details using Iridient X-Transformer (a plug-in for Lightroom) or the stand alone Iridient Developer application. Would most people notice the difference? I doubt it.

My advice is that if you prefer using only Lightroom to process your images, do not apply conventional sharpening to your Fuji files to avoid issues with the rendered image.

^^Thanks for the info and advice  -much appreciated.

I am aware that Adobe are abandoning perpetual licenses completely and support for LR6 will end at the end of this year.  The way I look at it is that it's cost me ~£65 to upgrade a desktop programme (which is what I want).  I figure on getting at least a year's worth of use out of it, then  - if Adobe haven't realised who their support base is (pro and enthusiast togs who have spent a lot of money with them over the years)  - I will be free to look around for alternatives to Adobe at that stage having had plenty of time to consider my options.  I am sure that many companies are preparing to take business away from Adobe and believe that in a year or so, I'll have even more choice than now!  NO company is too big to fail! :)

Archived