Baco

Cleared Balance

Recommended Posts

Good afternoon,

 

If there anywhere where one can find out when a balance will be cleared. Made a sale over 1 month ago and still waiting for it to be cleared.

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minimum 45 days as standard. Other uses (esp. uk newspapers) can take considerably longer. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, losdemas said:

Minimum 45 days as standard. Other uses (esp. uk newspapers) can take considerably longer. 

 

Thank you for the reply. I assume the latter could be months and months? Seems odd to me an online purchase could take so long to clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most sales are on account.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Most sales are on account.

 

Sorry, what does mean? Buy now, pay later? :)  Like old school food markets where one would note it down on a paper and collect at the end of the month?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, on credit, settled at the end of the month or an agreed period. It's how most businesses trade- I'm surprised you're not aware of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Yes, on credit, settled at the end of the month or an agreed period. It's how most businesses trade- I'm surprised you're not aware of it.

 

Not on this field I wasn't, hence I asked the question. Thanks for the reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Baco said:

 

Thank you for the reply. I assume the latter could be months and months? Seems odd to me an online purchase could take so long to clear.

 

Alamy differs from others in that they report sales immediately. Uses can change (and minds can change, too), so the wait is a safety net as well as ensuring that account buyers have coughed up the funds.

 

In my own personal experience, the vast majority of sales have cleared after 45 days. I have never sold to a newspaper (via Alamy, that is) and have only ever have one sale refunded - and as it was a tiny sale, I was actually quite happy to see it go! ;) :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Most sales are on account.

 

11 hours ago, Baco said:

 

Sorry, what does mean? Buy now, pay later? :)  Like old school food markets where one would note it down on a paper and collect at the end of the month?

 

I've owned several small businesses.  One business we had we invoiced and stated we were on a "Pay 30" cycle, meaning we expected payment within 30 days.  However, the rub is that the bigger the client, it seems, the longer it takes to get paid.  The big ones were on a "Pay 90" cycle, meaning we didn't get paid for 3 months!!  

 

In my photography business I never had a problem because usage rights were withheld until I was paid in full.  That solved that problem and I never had an issue with payment.

 

I would be willing to bet Alamy has some pretty large accounts with the UK newspapers and they are probably on that "Pay 90" cycle.  :-)  I just had a large sale, ($125) for T.V. rights for the image and it cleared on the 45th day.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, losdemas said:

In my own personal experience, the vast majority of sales have cleared after 45 days. I have never sold to a newspaper (via Alamy, that is) and have only ever have one sale refunded - and as it was a tiny sale, I was actually quite happy to see it go!

 

Going slightly off topic, but is there a way to see who purchased the image, other than having luck finding your image with a reverse image search? Thank you for your reply.

 

6 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

However, the rub is that the bigger the client, it seems, the longer it takes to get paid.

 

Back home, the worst client when it comes to paying fast would be the government :D 

 

6 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

I just had a large sale, ($125) for T.V. rights for the image and it cleared on the 45th day.


Nice one. I'll be patient then, have to adjust to this reality. Thanks for the reply Rick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Baco said:

Going slightly off topic, but is there a way to see who purchased the image, other than having luck finding your image with a reverse image search? Thank you for your reply.

 

 

It won't say in your account who licensed the image, just what the image use is for eg commercial, website etc.

 

Plus you will have to wait until your cleared balance is over $50 before you will get paid!

 

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stokie said:

 

It won't say in your account who licensed the image, just what the image use is for eg commercial, website etc.

 

Plus you will have to wait until your cleared balance is over $50 before you will get paid!

 

John.

 

As I thought. Thanks John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2017 at 19:48, losdemas said:

 

Alamy differs from others in that they report sales immediately.

 

Not sure what is meant by this statement. I have read on these forums and then just now experience it myself: the situation when you wait on a zoom to become a sale. During the wait you see your picture with Alamy credit already being used online.

 

I have a similar question to the community. When do I start to worry and contact Alamy on the funds that are pending clearance? I have a sale from August that has yet to clear and a sale that happened later than the first one that already cleared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2017 at 08:38, Baco said:

Good afternoon,

 

If there anywhere where one can find out when a balance will be cleared. Made a sale over 1 month ago and still waiting for it to be cleared.

 

Thank you.

 

Interestingly, I just had a sale clear after just 15 days!!  O.K., it was very small, $16.30, (I guess the odd amount due to exchange rate), but still.  That was quick!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have a sale from 4th August that hasn't cleared and one later in August that has not cleared too (7 weeks ago). My first sales didn't take long to clear at all. I don't have enough for payout so it doesn't make too much difference but I do wonder how long it will be before they clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, roman t said:

 

Not sure what is meant by this statement. I have read on these forums and then just now experience it myself: the situation when you wait on a zoom to become a sale. During the wait you see your picture with Alamy credit already being used online.

 

I have a similar question to the community. When do I start to worry and contact Alamy on the funds that are pending clearance? I have a sale from August that has yet to clear and a sale that happened later than the first one that already cleared.

 

Alamy is an honour system mostly. They wait for account customers to report usage. If you see an image online that has not yet been reported, take a screens shot.  If sale has not been reported in 3 months, contact contributor services.

 

I keep a file for discovered usages. Usually they will show up in your sales report before the 3 months is up.

 

For ones that are pending clearance, you again contact Alamy after 3 months, but the sale has been reported, so we hopefully can assume Alamy do chase delinquent accounts. Calendar sales can take up to a year to clear.

 

Jill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2017 at 00:10, Jill Morgan said:

 

Alamy is an honour system mostly. They wait for account customers to report usage. If you see an image online that has not yet been reported, take a screens shot.  If sale has not been reported in 3 months, contact contributor services.

 

I keep a file for discovered usages. Usually they will show up in your sales report before the 3 months is up.

 

For ones that are pending clearance, you again contact Alamy after 3 months, but the sale has been reported, so we hopefully can assume Alamy do chase delinquent accounts. Calendar sales can take up to a year to clear.

 

Jill

 

Thank you, Jill for the info.

 

What's a calendar sale?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, roman t said:

 

 

What's a calendar sale?

Thanks.

An image used in a calendar. You are allowed to say 'doh' now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now