Your First (D)SLR?

Amazing how many threads one starts after a few tipples - last one tonight, boys and girls :)

What was your first camera? I don't mean Instamatic or Polaroid - what was your first SLR, or DSLR?

The first time you held that big chunk of grown up picture machine, and marvelled at all its extra bits and bobs, ran your fingertips over the metal stuff, peered into the shiny lens thingy, and hefted its lovely, lovely weight and... anyway, what was yours?

Mine was a Zenit 12XP, bought from a camera shop in Lambeth Walk in 1986 - I was mentored by a lovely lady called Jane Foster (shout out just in case she's on here) - who gave me a sprinkling of advice on lenses and general photography bits and bobs, and of course insisted I immediately subscribe to Amateur Photographer. Many unfeasibly sharp and sparkly photographs ensued, along with an undeserved but thoroughly abused reputation among family and peers as "the photographer". That camera stayed with me until 2000, when it was destroyed in a flood (well, not so much destroyed - you can't destroy a Zenit - more sort of waterlogged then slowly rusted to death over time).

Of course, when I got back into photography a few months ago, the first thing i did was buy one off eBay. Alas, it was no good for Alamy, but will forever more remain my true love.

First SLR was a Minolta SR-1s bought in 1968 when I was a university student. It was a clunky thing, but it served me well. It had no TTL metering, so I had to use various handheld meters, which was a good way to learn about exposure.

First DSLR was a Sony a100. Great camera. Sometimes I'm sorry I sold it. Could probably have just kept using it.

Zenit-E*

Hasselblad 500C*

Canon EF

A1*

Oly SP-350 (not SLR)

SP-500* warranty replacement

Sony A350

A55

A58*

and that's all, except for a Lubitel-2, a Rolleicord*, a Halina compact and a Pentax SV that went ping before I got a film in it. And a Mamiya Press* (partially). And an Agfa box camera.

*extant

First SLR was a second hand Miranda from the 1960's. Can't remember the model though. I was using it during the 1970's.

First DSLR was a Canon 20D.

Allan

Archived