Antique camera makes a mint

Bryan

Followers of the Antiques Road Trip on the BBC will be familiar with Paul Laidlaw, a Scottish, but Carlisle based auctioneer, who regularly uncovers bargains in the world of collectables. He recently excelled himself by buying a camera from the early days of the technology for £50, and then saw it sell at an auction for £20,000! He expected to make a bit on the deal, but he was clearly bowled over by that result. The profit went to charity.

Anybody got some old kit that they might want to monetise? My old  EXA500 might be worth 20,000 pence.

I have some Leica stuff that I bought s/h to use as my own personal kit many, many years ago when I was a young photographer that's now worth very silly money. Some of it I still use so its value to me is not in money but use. 

On 30/09/2017 at 21:26, Bryan said:

Followers of the Antiques Road Trip on the BBC will be familiar with Paul Laidlaw, a Scottish, but Carlisle based auctioneer, who regularly uncovers bargains in the world of collectables. He recently excelled himself by buying a camera from the early days of the technology for £50, and then saw it sell at an auction for £20,000! He expected to make a bit on the deal, but he was clearly bowled over by that result. The profit went to charity.

Anybody got some old kit that they might want to monetise? My old  EXA500 might be worth 20,000 pence.

Had to go and see what you were talking about. Wow, quite a find!  Sadly not something most people are likely to stumble upon at a car boot sale. Still, can always live in hope! :-)

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

All Leicas are still collectors' item.

The 6x6 Rollei TLR?  So far I've not been able to sell mine . . . I was told that parts are no longer available.

Don't believe that Ed. Harry Fleenor is the man. Can completely rebuild any Rolleiflex TLR. I sent my 1953 TLR 3.5f Tessar 75mm to him a few years back, having not used it in years. Came back like new. Jeeze, I've even got a few on Alamy taken with it since. 

http://www.rolleirepairs.com/

Archived