Just noticed this Tweet from Alamy on the Forum homepage:

"Don’t add what you think is a spelling mistake someone might make e.g. desert & dessert, our search engine will punish this."

What!  When did that happen? And where is that in the keywording guidelines? :angry:  I have long added misspellings and international spellings of words.

I hope that Alamy are only referring to instances such as that which they give: Adding dessert as a keyword to a photo of sand dunes is clearly a bad idea and an image of a bowl of Angel Delight won't benefit from sandy or mirage. If so, then that is clearly bl**din obvious, if not, then I'm concerned.

I avoid misspellings that could lead to a whole pile of unwanted views. But if a misspelling is not a real word, then I will use it.  Example:  charolais cattle - charlais cattle.  Many people leave out the 'o' because it isn't often pronounced.

Jill

Hmmm, I have several spellings of a town most people haven't a clue how to spell (I didn't, and would still have a good chance of getting it wrong). But none of the other spellings are 'real' in any way.

BTW, the search engine doesn't seem to make suggestions if you search on a word but mis-spell it. Maybe they should work on that, in case people don't know the correct spelling (e.g. a place name or person's name). Maybe it does in some cases, but not all, as I just checked.

Maybe Alamy should penalise people who deliberately spam to mislead buyers (e.g. Mediterranean Caribbean has 3226 hits; Indian Ocean Caribbean has 5,179, amphibian reptile has 10,791) rather than punishing people who are trying to help buyers (though desert/dessert isn't helpful)

1 hour ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Absolutely, also adding different language uses where appropriate, e.g. Florence/Firenze.

It gests even worse when dealing with Arabic place names as the translitteration in to english can yeild several equally valid and different spellings.  All of which eats in to the 10 available super tags.

1 hour ago, IanButty said:

It gests even worse when dealing with Arabic place names as the translitteration in to english can yeild several equally valid and different spellings.  All of which eats in to the 10 available super tags.

Yes, and I believe that issue applies to other non-western orthographies, e.g. Hebrew (how many spellings of Chanukah?)

Archived