Is this bad for the business?

Hello everyone. I have a question in my mind and i can't find certain answer yet. At the same time if i use both other microstock sites and Alamy, how does effect my sales on Alamy? Because they all have different prices. Any advice, thought would be great. Thank you.

Just now, geogphotos said:

Where would you buy if the same image was available to you at a micro site and Alamy?

Would you choose the one selling at the lowest price? I would. 

Yes this is definitely true but some says 'dont put your whole cards on the same table'. Also it sounds right. Or wrong. I am confused little bit.

5 minutes ago, Halit Olmez said:

Hello everyone. I have a question in my mind and i can't find certain answer yet. At the same time if i use both other microstock sites and Alamy, how does effect my sales on Alamy? Because they all have different prices. Any advice, thought would be great. Thank you.

Yes it is bad for business. Do not put the same images on both microstock and Alamy.

Mark

17 minutes ago, Halit Olmez said:

So either i shoot different photos for the microstock and Alamy or after that just upload Alamy.

Opinion seems to be that editorial images sell best on Alamy. Microstock images have a style/market of their own. There are plenty of recent threads on this forum about this topic. Suggest doing a search. Here's a long discussion.

Mark

Did someone mention Microstock? That's my cue!

The jury is out on whether having the same images on both Alamy and MS means that buyers will go for the cheaper option, often under subs. So far I have seen no evidence in my portfolio between zooms on here and sales on there, even after a few days. Others I have been in contact have reported the same. Small sample but I'll keep monitoring. I'm aware that not all zooms are reported here so it's difficult/impossible to get a clear picture. 

Nevertheless, I take a cautious approach and avoid duplicating editorials (which are the bulk of my images) on MS as well as images I would consider "premium", regardless whether they're commercial or editorial. 

8 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Opinion seems to be that editorial images sell best on Alamy. Microstock images have a style/market of their own. There are plenty of recent threads on this forum about this topic. Suggest doing a search.

Mark

6 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Did someone mention Microstock? That's my cue!

The jury is out on whether having the same images on both Alamy and MS means that buyers will go for the cheaper option, often under subs. So far I have seen no evidence in my portfolio between sales on here and on there (also zooms on here didn't necessarily lead to sales on there). Others have seen the same. Small sample but I'll keep monitoring. 

Nevertheless, I take a cautious approach and avoid duplicating editorials (which are the bulk of my images) on MS as well as images I would consider "premium", regardless whether they're commercial or editorial. 

Apparently the best solution is shooting different photos for MS and Alamy

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Buyers will choose the cheapest place to buy.

Which might, under some circumstances be at Alamy (e.g. if a buyer wants only one or two images for a personal use or presentation).

But as we get 50% at Alamy and I don't know of any micros which pay 50%, you might still end up better off.

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Opinion seems to be that editorial images sell best on Alamy.

It just depends.

People have to either make a decision as to where to sell, not thinking about which might earn them most money, or try the market for themselves, as what works for one person may not work for another.

Based on what Alamy's pricing and payout and the average microstock payout, you'd have to license each microstock image about 50 - 100 times to get the same return on investment.

Don't know if that's possible. Maybe someone else has done some more research on it.

Based on what Alamy's pricing and payout and the average microstock payout, you'd have to license each microstock image about 50 - 100 times to get the same return on investment.

Don't know if that's possible. Maybe someone else has done some more research on it.

I have. The 50-100x is probably about right since subscription earnings are 25cents at least, going up to 36cents on a tiered basis, and on here it's common to have $25-$36 net sales. I've had Extended Licenses on micros for $80+ but those are rare (once every 2 months). It's a different model based on high volume, low commission...an all-you-can-eat buffet of delicious RF images.

On Microstock the most common form of calculation is Return Per Image (RPI) / Year.

The rule of thumb on MS is that on average high quality & in demand images should be licensed at $1 RPI/year, but that's becoming increasingly unrealistic. Only a few years many contributors reported $2-3 RPI/Year. Yuri was reporting something like $9 RPI/Year in 2008.

I have 4,050 images at one of the biggest MS site so I should expect to earn at least $4k/year. Probably have to settle for slightly less on there just about going above that amount with images on other MS sites (since it's non exclusive, no problem).

I guess it's more difficult to predict earnings on Alamy since look at the other thread the dude got $1,400 sale and that would skew any statistical analysis. Maybe someone knows what an average sale amount is on here...$20 net perhaps?

Impossible to calculate RPI on Alamy since it's not a volume-based business model. It's comparing apples and oranges, plus as stated above, different types of images do well on MS that won't get a zoom here. Having said that, there's a SMALL overlap between images that do well on MS and on here, such as studio shots with models that could be used to illustrate editorials about medicine / health-care, for example. 

Archived