Low fees now the norm?

51 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

A bit of a bugbear of mine I'm afraid but I don't think it is supply and demand operating in the traditional price mechanism graph. 

It is more to do with changes to the way images are used and the business models which compete to undercut each other on price. 

There has almost always been far more supply than demand, and the fees paid show no relationship at all with the level of supply. 

But whatever the causes the sad reality is that low fees look to be here to stay for the majority of uses.

I wish you would not smile while you are saying that.;)

Allan

36 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, low fees are the new norm, for the majority of uses anyway.

Hopefully, no fees won't become the next new norm. If so, it will be back to the day job. Whoops, I forgot, I'm too old now. B)

You are never too old to get a day job. Not in this country anyway.

Allan

Going against the grain, as usual, but my sales are down this year but fees up. It's looking like it is possible that I may exceed last year's grand $ total, but a few months to come and chickens and counting etc...

I do worry about the decline in sales numbers though, this is a very unpredictable business, and I feel a tad vulnerable on that score.

Then we've just seen evidence of a 4 figure sale in the post your good results thread. 

So just some, limited, gloom and despair! :mellow:

Number of sales not bad, but the price is a total disaster - and many totally ridiculous distributor sales. Don't know if it is worth the effort any more. I have often chosen to shoot photos instead of making video clips. I should have chosen the opposite, I can see now.

Also payment and clearing seems to be later than before - this is the first month I will not be paid for a very long time.

My last sale here was $12. I had a microstock sale last month for $12.39, the month before $18.52, $21.27,  and more previous month $18.03, and these are not including all the smaller single sales I get on a daily basis so as you can see, microstock for me is pretty essential. If I relied on Editorial type sites like here I would lose a lot of income. In an ideal world I would love to rely solely on Alamy as I prefer editorial photography but the money isn't here.

6 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

So if you include all these smaller single sales the average at micro stocks is much lower than at Alamy?

No, like I just started those are single sales as WELL as the additional smaller sales which all added up bring in more than Alamy as I haven't had any sales here the last 3 months.

1 minute ago, Marb said:

No, like I just started those are single sales as WELL as the additional smaller sales which all added up bring in more than Alamy as I haven't had any sales here the last 3 months.

Perhaps you should also consider that images selling at Alamy for the most part are  not the same that sell at microstock. It took me some time to work this out when I started.

3 minutes ago, Marb said:

Do you know what "average" means?

Divide your MS sales total by the number of sales and tell us that figure. For most of us here that figure is in excess of $50, somewhat down this year though.

22 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Do you know what "average" means?

Divide your MS sales total by the number of sales and tell us that figure. For most of us here that figure is in excess of $50, somewhat down this year though.

In that case I earn far more at microstock over a year hands down.

4 minutes ago, Marb said:

A lot more over a year than Alamy. 

Sorry, that doesn't answer the question and it doesn't actually tell us what you are claiming to achieve. A total is not an average.

What is your average on MS? I've told you mine and how to work it out.

Since you won't answer can we assume the average is very much less than $50?

Everyone can quote a few high sales- I had one for $239 last week- but the average is much more useful. The average of the four high sales you quote is ony $17.

It's relevant because it impinges on the return per image. I wouldn't put in the effort I do for Alamy images if the average sale was, say, $1, or even $10.

40 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Why are you wasting your time with Alamy?

Because I was under the impression of the good money and sales. So far (and I hope to be proved wrong in time) it hasn't lived up my expectations going from what people have said. And to be fair contributors are reporting that sales and prices for downloads have reduced.

7 hours ago, Marb said:

But again OVERALL revenue is much more for me per year than here. At the end of the day it's about yearly earnings, for me at least anyway.

We don't know anything about the effort required, of course, but since you won't answer the question about averages we can draw our own conclusions.

Comparing the performance of a collection (of a size unknown to us) over some years with  under 1500 images (of a type mostly unsuited to the editorial agency this in fact is) here for less than 3 months is hardly conclusive.

Edit: well at least I know where that red arrow came from.

Archived