Portfolio critics

Halit Olmez

Hello everyone. I'm new at Alamy. Could you take look at my portfolio and give some valuable critics. Thank you.

Hi and welcome!

Honestly, you need to step up your game, both technically and commercially if you want to make it here.

Others are gonna give me red arrows but I'll say it anyway...a lot of your images belong in Microstock, they're just generic which can be fine, but here in Alamy you need UNIQUE images which you haven't yet demonstrated. Perhaps the Luxembourg castle in case a buyer wants to illustrate an article about Luxembourg but it's not unique enough imo. Also, Alamy buyers are mainly editorial and you have few such editorial type images.

Not sure about the polaroid look for some, buyers either love it or hate it. Best to keep it simple for all tastes. 

Still life? Not sure they're so popular on here and the white doesn't look that white (I'm not a still life expert anyway).

I see some hope, look at this ferris wheel. Don't just put a generic caption. Maybe it's got a significance and is an important landmark in a city, so put it in the captions / keywords. And go easy on the post-processing! :) 

Ferris wheel and blue sky Stock Photo

40 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Hi and welcome!

Honestly, you need to step up your game, both technically and commercially if you want to make it here.

Others are gonna give me red arrows but I'll say it anyway...a lot of your images belong in Microstock, they're just generic which can be fine, but here in Alamy you need UNIQUE images which you haven't yet demonstrated. Perhaps the Luxembourg castle in case a buyer wants to illustrate an article about Luxembourg but it's not unique enough imo. Also, Alamy buyers are mainly editorial and you have few such editorial type images.

Not sure about the polaroid look for some, buyers either love it or hate it. Best to keep it simple for all tastes. 

Still life? Not sure they're so popular on here and the white doesn't look that white (I'm not a still life expert anyway).

I see some hope, look at this ferris wheel. Don't just put a generic caption. Maybe it's got a significance and is an important landmark in a city, so put it in the captions / keywords. And go easy on the post-processing! :) 

Thank you for your precious views. I'm getting new experience in this area.  But I'm not sure what kind of photos might be more appropriate for Alamy. I should probably take different photos for other stock sites and Alamy.

34 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Hi and welcome!

Thank you for your precious views. I'm getting new experience in this area.  But I'm not sure what kind of photos might be more appropriate for Alamy. I should probably take different photos for other stock sites and Alamy.

88/5000

q

You're in Turkey, right? Well, if you capture anything to do with the current volatile political situation in your country and submit it, including as Live News, I'm sure those images would be snapped up by the big publications quite quickly. 

Images of cows in a field < Images of police brutality and rise of political Islamism

Don't get arrested though. I watched Midnight Express recently...

You have a good eye, so keep going.

Your keywording and captioning needs improvement or you will not make sales.

In both the the caption and the keywords, try to answer the 4 W’s

When, Where, Why, What, and sometimes How.

The location information is not searched, so make sure you have it in both the caption and the keywords.

The captions are important because clients will often make purchase decisions based on the caption and not take time to read all of the keywords.

For instance in this GREAT image both the captions and keywords should contain, Where is this? - Esch-sur-Sûre, Lüksemburg. When is this - spring autumn summer? Why and What this bridge? - historical, canal, river, or bridge? special kind of bridge? special brickwork? Is it a national historic waterway? name of river?
If a name has multiple spellings keyword both - example - Lüksemburg, Luxembourg

Great image.

river-and-the-reflection-on-the-water-k7
Use the internet. Google is your friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esch-sur-Sûre_Castle
http://www.visitluxembourg.com/en/place/castle/esch-sur-sure-castle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esch-sur-Sûre

I also like this one.

cow-portrait-in-front-of-the-factory-k7j

2 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

You're in Turkey, right? Well, if you capture anything to do with the current volatile political situation in your country and submit it, including as Live News, I'm sure those images would be snapped up by the big publications quire quickly. 

Came from Turkey but i live in Luxembourg. And there is not much happened in this small country.

Came from Turkey but i live in Luxembourg. And there is not much happened in this small country.

Take pictures of bankers and banking institutions. 

Bankers having coffee, outside, on the phone. Business type images. All things being equal, images of good looking people tend to do better than images of not attractive people. 

2 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

Your keywording and captioning needs improvement or you will not make sales.

In both the the caption and the keywords, try to answer the 4 W’s
 When, Where, Why, What, and sometimes How.

First of all thank you so much for your review and praise. I thought I wrote enough about keywords and captions. After that I will try to be detailed and specific when writing.

3 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Take pictures of bankers and banking institutions. 

Bankers having coffee, outside, on the phone. Business type images. All things being equal, images of good looking people tend to do better than images of not attractive people. 

Thank you for the tips. Next days i will be focus on that. 

You need to work on your captions. Some of your photos captioned "White Chocolate Cake with Fireworks" don't actually show any "fireworks."

white-chocolate-cake-and-the-fireworks-k

Others captioned "Sunset over the fields" aren't really of a field.

sunset-over-the-fields-k7jhwd.jpg

Including the location in the keywords is always helpful since clients are often looking for specific countries and the location field in AIM isn't searchable.

fD

5 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

You need to work on your captions. Some of your photos captioned "White Chocolate Cake with Fireworks" don't actually any "fireworks" in them.

Others captioned "Sunset over the fields" aren't really of a field.

Thank you for your review. Yes it's my fault because some photos i captioned with group. So it happened. Next time i will be more careful.

Just now, Halit Olmez said:

Thank you for your review. Yes it's my fault because some photos i captioned with group. So it happened. Next time i will be more careful.

You can go back and change your captions and keywords at any time.

fD

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Great photos. I'd just say that for Alamy think of the caption as you fire the shutter - what does the picture show and why would anybody want to use it?

Alamy is mainly an editorial site so the pictures need to illustrate something rather than just be pretty.

Thank you for your time and praise. Apparently i have to work on caption and keywords. 

Some of your images are really nice. Are you using a starburst filter for the sunsets? I'm very much unsure about them. It looks like the 1980s. 

As regards food photography, it's all about lighting and styling and I feel you need to brush up on the  basics in this respect. It's a nice idea to show a chocolate cake with some lights in the background, but you shouldn't really see the cables and stuff. 

heart-shaped-chocolate-cake-k7jj31.jpg

16 hours ago, vpics said:

Some of your images are really nice. Are you using a starburst filter for the sunsets? I'm very much unsure about them. It looks like the 1980s. 

As regards food photography, it's all about lighting and styling and I feel you need to brush up on the  basics in this respect. It's a nice idea to show a chocolate cake with some lights in the background, but you shouldn't really see the cables and stuff. 

heart-shaped-chocolate-cake-k7jj31.jpg

Thanks for your time and kind words. I don’t use any filter. For the sunset photos just f.22 and little bit LR. For the cake photos i just want to try something different. Also my wife told me about that cables :)

Archived