Hello from Teesdale, UK

Richard Laidler

Hello everybody

I'm a new contributor to Alamy but have been a keen photographer for a fair while now. First and foremost, may I express my gratitude for the goldmine of useful information I have found here. Hopefully one day I will be able to reciprocate.

Photography for me is primarily a hobby from which I get a great deal of pleasure and devote as much time to as I can. I'm lucky to live in an area which contains - in my humble opinion - some of the best landscape scenery in the UK - and that is my main interest although I don't confine myself to just that subject matter. I get as much pleasure from walking in Teesdale and taking pictures in it as I do from occasionally seeing them in print (local press). I've seen various forum postings about needing a large quantity of images before it would be reasonable to expect any sales. I regard having images on sale here as something which, if I'm lucky, just might occasionally get me a little financial bonus, not a "get rich quick" scheme! I'm slowly building up the portfolio.

Probably the most useful piece of advice, and one which I see is regularly repeated, is the importance of accurate and relevant captioning and tagging - I think "relevant" being the most important. That was my first thought on the subject and was I pleased to see that view confirmed by you experienced contributors. I've also followed the debates on this subject, how search engines work (or don't?) with interest. I like the ability to use phrases as tags. I've found some interesting results by test searching for one of my pictures, but it would be too much for an introductory posting. Would you be interested and if so, should I start a new thread in the technical queries section?

Welcome to Alamy and the forums.

Ah, Teesdale. Lovely part of the country. Visited a few times in my younger days when I was living in the north.

Allan

Richard, welcome ! Nice portfolio. Unless I’m mistaken, and they are called something else in the UK, the webs all over the trees on the first page are caused by webworms. We have them on my side of the pond, too. I took pictures myself of some.

Research them and be sure to include the scientific name in caption and tags.

whatever they are called in the UK, I’ll bet if you break a web with a rake, you’ll find creepy crawly worms, not spiders. :P

Betty

Thanks for the compliment Betty. I had never heard of webworms until you mentioned them!

I've done some homework and I'm pretty sure the webs in my pictures are created by spiders. There were no signs of any caterpillars when I took them. There are trees in close proximity to those picture locations (garden border, low-growing plants) and none of them had the type of webs I found in searches for images of webworms.  I did find an article about this autumn phenomenon though, and the first two pictures in it show the same sort of webs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215031/Spider-webs-covered-dew-illuminated-New-Forest-sunrise-Britain-wakes-chilly-start.html

17 hours ago, Richard Laidler said:

Thanks for the compliment Betty. I had never heard of webworms until you mentioned them!

I've done some homework and I'm pretty sure the webs in my pictures are created by spiders. There were no signs of any caterpillars when I took them. There are trees in close proximity to those picture locations (garden border, low-growing plants) and none of them had the type of webs I found in searches for images of webworms.  I did find an article about this autumn phenomenon though, and the first two pictures in it show the same sort of webs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215031/Spider-webs-covered-dew-illuminated-New-Forest-sunrise-Britain-wakes-chilly-start.html

I believe you are right. Good article. My bad. I looked closer rather than jumping to a know-it-all conclusion like I did before.  I have a dim memory that I may have seen webs like yours many years ago, as a child. Never have since. 

I think I was influenced by what I’m seeing around here....and that’s lots of webworms nests! They spin the web around themselves in a space within and no predators can get at them. Picture a hollow ball and the rubber is the web and the worms live within. The webs are very tough and hard to break. Then they feast on the leaves trapped within the web.

Very ugly, I hate them. They don’t kill the tree, but the branch they attack doesn’t fare well for awhile. Sometimes a tree is nearly covered!

Again, sorry. It was fun reading about them though, wasn’t it?  :D

Betty

Archived