Just got email:

(not sure how well it will copy to forum)

Anyone using DXO?  Exclusively?  Why vs. Photoshop CC?

Get a Blurb coupon worth up to $100 for every DxO software purchase

Enhance your most beautiful photos with DxO, then make them last forever by turning them into books, magazines, or e-books

Get a Blurb coupon worth up to $100 for every DxO software purchase

Offer valid until October 1, 2017 at dxo.com.

COUNT ME IN!

box_dxo-op11.jpg

DxO OpticsPro 11

Enhance your images using corrections that are carefully calibrated to match your equipment. Automatically reveal details in under-exposed or over-exposed areas in your photos to obtain radiantly beautiful images, no matter your shooting conditions.

LEARN MORE

box_dxo-fp5.jpg

DxO FilmPack 5

Rediscover the emotional impact of analog film with DxO FilmPack, the creative photo editing software. DxO FilmPack faithfully recreates the style, color, and grain of nearly 80 iconic analog films. Combine a wide array of original styles with texture effects, frames, and vignettes, and explore an infinite range of possibilities.

LEARN MORE

box_dxo-vp3.jpg

DxO ViewPoint 3

DxO ViewPoint gives you complete control over perspectives and lets you correct volume deformations (a DxO exclusive), allowing you to restore the true proportions of subjects located on the edges of images taken with a wide-angle lens.

LEARN MORE

Follow us on

DxO is a registered trademark of DxO Labs. Other trademarks and trade or brand names may be used in this document to refer to either the third-party owners of trademarks or to their products. DxO Labs makes no claims whatsoever with respect to the registered trademarks and brand names of third parties.

© 2017 DxO Labs. All rights reserved.

This is a promotional email from DxO Labs, located at 3 Rue Nationale, 92100 Boulogne, France.

Click here to unsubscribe or view the online version

To ensure you receive emails from us, add noreply@mail.dxo.com to your address book, contacts, or safe senders list.

www.dxo.com

RY_lEgqHTPbwpQ4ic25tJw.gif

I have a copy of DXO on my laptop (not sure which one, I think it was 9 or 10 when they had it for free awhile ago.  I don't know what is in version 11, but it didn't have an equivalent to the adjustment brush that is in PS CC, so not for me.  It is my go to tool.

Jill

DxO was definitely not designed to replace PS.  OpticsPro is a good program, though. I use it in conjunction with PS Elements.

DXO Optics Pro 9 was the free version a few years ago.

It's like Lightroom but a bit slower. But it's greater for cleaning up high ISO noise than Lightroom, but in cost of a lower quality for the final export.

I've used Photoshop Elements for years and found it did what I needed. Bought DxO Optics Pro 11 when discounted (frequent) and love it. My images look much better because of it (never used Lightroom and not a tech person). Adjusting images is much quicker for me now and the results are better. Added ViewPoint3 when a discount was offered and find that it saves time correcting what I used to do in PSE (with Fix Camera Distortion filter).  I still have to use PSE for adding file info and do the dust spotting there as I find it quicker than the DxO tool. 

I used DxO viewpoint for a while which I really liked, but then I upgraded to PS CC and found that the perspective correction works really well with this programme. 

I have no experience with DxO optics. 

For me, it's a program to have on hand for files that need the special noise correction.  Mostly use Lightroom.

I use and love DxO Optics. It is a browser type system rather than a database like Lightroom. I find its RAW conversions better than Lightroom and, as MizBrown says, its noise handling is very good. It is not an alternative to Photoshop, but an alternative to Lightroom. Almost everything yo can do in LR you can do in DxO. The main irritation with it is that it is slow to render the image, so the correction preview takes a few seconds to appear. I am not a high volume photographer so this is just a small annoyance for me but if I were trying to edit a wedding or sports shoot it would become an issue. I get around this using On1 Photo 10. This is a super fast rendering browser, so I go through my shoot in On1 and give my keepers a five star rating. Then in DxO I use the filter function to just show five stars and all my keepers are there to be converted ready for any final tweaks in PS, or getting arty farty with in Macphun's Luminar.

On 9/20/2017 at 00:55, Russell Watkins said:

Just in case any Fuji X users are thinking about this, DxO doesn't handle .RAF raw files.

Thanks for that, Russell. B) I was about to get interested.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thanks for that, Russell. B) I was about to get interested.

Doesn't do the Sony RX100 either.

Jill

3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

I've got one of the free copies of DXO Optics Pro 9 and it works with my RX100 MkIII raw files. I find DxO very slow compared to LR and PSE, but do occasionally use it for some things, for example recovering the lost pixels which LR discards during automatic distortion correction of RX100 files.

RX100_distortion_correction.jpg

Above shows same Sony RX100 raw file opened with LR (on left) or DxO (on the right). DxO allows distortion correction to be turned on or off. LR doesn't (with Sony RX100 files).

Jeff,

There's also an "Express version" of Capture One 10 that's free for Sony users. I've downloaded a copy, but not tried it yet.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

5 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I've got one of the free copies of DXO Optics Pro 9 and it works with my RX100 MkIII raw files. I find DxO very slow compared to LR and PSE, but do occasionally use it for some things, for example recovering the lost pixels which LR discards during automatic distortion correction of RX100 files.

RX100_distortion_correction.jpg

Above shows same Sony RX100 raw file opened with LR (on left) or DxO (on the right). DxO allows distortion correction to be turned on or off. LR doesn't (with Sony RX100 files).

Jeff,

There's also an "Express version" of Capture One 10 that's free for Sony users. I've downloaded a copy, but not tried it yet.

Mark

That is odd Mark.  It had a thing to fill in for what camera you had and when I chose my Sony, it told me it didn't yet support  it.  Maybe they need to update their form.

Jill

14 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

:lol: Well, that blew me out of the water, for sure!  Only cameras I shoot. I doubt I would have tried it, anyway. I'm pretty happy with CC.

11 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

I've tried this. It's very basic. They obviously want you to shell out for the complete version. The free copy of DxO 9 Elite is complete and far better.

I recently tested the software : "Affinity Photo" . Its seems to be a good alternative to my old PS version (CS3). My trial version expired last month, when I did not have enough time to test all functionalities, but Affinity photo seems to have powerful functions.