Help with identifying

Martin Carlsson

8 hours ago, GS-Images said:

Will do John, good plan. I have been very busy lately with the amount of photos I've been taking, mainly insects, birds and flowers. I have a trees, parts of trees, leaves that are changing colour in Autumn, etc.. I have a backlog of about 1200 photos on my PC at the moment, and it's a daunting task to go through and try to ID them. I am enjoying it though so it's all good. I've got a few spider shots too recently, plus a lizard that Philippe has already kindly identified for me, what looks like a dragon fly of some sort, and others. I'm discovering a whole new world lately and am finding all sorts of wonderful photo opportunities that I've never really noticed. Just standing still and looking around, particularly with a macro lens handy, there seems to be endless things to photograph.

Geoff.

How did it go with the Northern Lights? 

12 minutes ago, hdh said:

in Germany not at all, 100% overcast and raining :(

It's typical isn't - the one/rare times when you should be able to and the weather doesn't agree. Pouring down here too - love to go out in the dark, no people, quiet, but no! So looking forward to the cold and snow instead.

17 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Are we supposed to compare them?

(Non-UK readers might not get that one).

16 hours ago, hdh said:

I may have been inaccurate :- 

Me too missing Philippe 

... and the two meercats are also on the lookout (suppose they want to be photographed by Philippe, as he does such a good job on picturing animals) 

Like I said, non-UK readers may not get the joke ;)

Alan

7 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Like I said, non-UK readers may not get the joke ;)

Alan

Where is the joke??? Germans do not have any humour ;)

(NB: I am German, so feel being  allowed to say that) 

3 hours ago, hdh said:

Where is the joke??? Germans do not have any humour ;)

(NB: I am German, so feel being  allowed to say that) 

It's a popular series of TV adverts in the UK based on supposed confusion between comparethemarket.com and comparethemeerkat.com.

Alan

30 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

It's a popular series of TV adverts in the UK based on supposed confusion between comparethemarket.com and comparethemeerkat.com.

Alan

funny these, just had a look at them. 

reminded me that there is also  a difference between English and english or should I say British and American. 

Take the following sentence: 

"Having a fag in the subway while waiting for a lift." 

Two completely different things, depending on which side of the pond one is on. 

8 hours ago, hdh said:

funny these, just had a look at them. 

reminded me that there is also  a difference between English and english or should I say British and American. 

Take the following sentence: 

"Having a fag in the subway while waiting for a lift." 

Two completely different things, depending on which side of the pond one is on. 

Oh yes. Trust me - I've embarrassed myself numerous times with my special blend of American/British English with a bit of Scottish flavour sprinkled on top - especially whilst working for an American Bank in London with clients worldwide. Nowadays whatever comes out comes out - trousers/pants, jumper/sweater, chips/fries, crisps/chips - my wife still corrects me...and I'm like "whatever you know I'm an ee-jit". 

Anyway, English and all it's quirks is easy peasy compared to Swedish and all of it's "it's just the way it is, no grammatical rule, you just have to kind of hear it" type things and a few extra letters for good measure. Learning that as an adult like she did (wife) - doubtful I could have done it, but she did, but "I hate this stupid language" for a few years.

Daughter on the other hand, being just 4 at the time when we moved back, only speaking English and was dropped at the deep end in a Swedish pre-school. Within 6 months she was speaking Swedish at a 90-95% proficiency level, proper Gothenburg suburb accent and all - kids really are amazing little sponges.

Archived