47 Street Photo ... is this for real?

Someone in another thread recommended the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 Art lens so I was having a look for prices.  Most places in the UK are selling it at around £649 but I came across a seller on Amazon UK called '47 Street Photo' selling it with a D5600 body and a load of accessories for £400.  Says it is used but only as a shop display and offers 3 year warranty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5600-24-2-1080P-Camera/dp/B074BDBYYW/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1504708936&sr=8-20&keywords=sigma+18-35+art

There is a website which looks legit but is spelt slightly differently - 47th Street Photo - so my gut feeling is that this is a scam, but if it's not it seems like a bargain.  What do you think?

Edit - just to clarify, I think the '47th Street' website is legit but the Amazon seller looks dodgy.

https://www.42photo.com/?keyword=47th street photo&gclid=CjwKEAjwub7NBRDJ64nX0LTbhV4SJAD-8JU_f9LNa7x5sKwZwSRAUr9Z6jBYrzJRX7lYDxfm24FyFxoCICnw_wcB

Vincent, In the long ago of film, I used to do a lot of business with 47th Street Photo, who were on 47th Street in Manhattan. Is this the same company, now in Brooklyn? I don't know.

Why not try MPB in the UK for a used one? 

Thanks Ed.  I'm not sure if the Amazon seller is the same as 47th Street as they state it's UK stock.  However, it has just been pointed out to me that even if it is a scam I would be covered by the Amazon reseller guarantee. 

MPB have one for £469, lens only.

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I don't know what the connection with 47th. St. is, but that seller (dannymurphy6) only has two very old feedbacks. Try asking him his address- he should provide it if he wants to comply with the CCRs (DSRs as they were).

Yes, I noticed that.  And he asks to be contacted before ordering which seems odd.

6 minutes ago, MDM said:

Why don't you snap up the D500 + piles of other stuff for £400 at the same time? Those prices are insanely cheap. I wouldn't touch any of it.

Further searching on his name brings up this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Storage-Housing-dannymurphy6-Outdoors/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A11082851%2Cp_6%3AA3MY6WR7QGXART

365 items all at the same price - £400...! 

You are right - everything about this screams scammer.

21 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

The blurb on every item is the same as well.

eBay usually catches this sort of thing before the items even go live. Ten-foot pole comes to mind.

Yep, just clicked on one of the sheds (postage £3.99...!) and he is also selling under the name Tierkosmos - same blurb, same email address.  Another (legit) seller has the same shed at over three times the price.

Definitely a scammer.

22 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

If it seems too good to be true . . . and so on. 

Yep, if it sounds too god to be true, then there is a chance it aint true. 

I would not touch that either. (and this is not because it is a Nikon and not a Canon :ph34r: ) 

Here is the feedback page for 47 Street Photo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B001A5K3BK&isAmazonFulfilled=1&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&orderID=&seller=A11IVQIXE3DERI&tab=&vasStoreID=

I sell on Amazon and they are very strict.  You must supply all kinds of ID to sell, and looks like they have been selling a long time.

Jill

Edited to add:  You can copy someone else's listing if you are selling an item with the same ISBN, UPC, etc.  I would think the other people are copying this guys lisiting.

I tried to buy a camera through one of these cheap online stores about ten years ago.  They wanted me to call to complete the order which I did.  They immediately tried to sell me me a load of accessories that I already had and that I was sure were of dubious quality which would have added more than a $100 to the cost of a $300 camera.  When I refused they said that they would go ahead and complete my order.  Within five minutes I received an email stating that my order had been canceled.  I am sure they want you to contact them for the purpose of selling you more merchandise, which would be dodgy memory cards, throw away tripods, cheap cases, lens caps and whatnot.

46 minutes ago, Graham Hardy said:

This form the description of one of the sheds he is selling - "The BillyOh Master Apex is an ideal shed for growing families" - hee hee.  

I do not see this seller selling any sheds, only photo equipment.

dannymurphy is a different seller if that is the one you are looking at.

Jill

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

I do not see this seller selling any sheds, only photo equipment.

dannymurphy is a different seller if that is the one you are looking at.

Jill

See this link...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/12x8-Wooden-Shed-BillyOh-Windowed/dp/B01MR9AKXE/ref=sr_1_1?m=A3MY6WR7QGXART&s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1504733480&sr=1-1

12x8 wooden shed, underneath it says 'by BillyOh', but on the right hand side above the 'add to basket' button it says 'sold by dannymurphy6'.

I'm not sure what's going on - BillyOh seems a legit seller but Danny Boy certainly isn't.

1 minute ago, Vincent Lowe said:

See this link...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/12x8-Wooden-Shed-BillyOh-Windowed/dp/B01MR9AKXE/ref=sr_1_1?m=A3MY6WR7QGXART&s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1504733480&sr=1-1

12x8 wooden shed, underneath it says 'by BillyOh', but on the right hand side above the 'add to basket' button it says 'sold by dannymurphy6'.

I'm not sure what's going on - BillyOh seems a legit seller but Danny Boy certainly isn't.

You are looking at a different seller.  47streetphoto just sells photo equipment.  That is the seller the OP is looking at.  The other guy is a different seller.

Koll

Yes, but we are getting confused (at least I am..!)

The original link I posted shows, under the title, 'by 47 Street Photo' (note - without the th after 47).  However there is no 'add to basket' button shown, the button says 'see all buying options' and if you click on this or the 'Available from these sellers' link' the only options are dannymurphy6 or Tierkosmos (same email address).

Actually, just clicked on it and it's now only showing Tierkosmos.

3 hours ago, Graham Hardy said:

This form the description of one of the sheds he is selling - "The BillyOh Master Apex is an ideal shed for growing families" - hee hee.  

Sounds ideal for the slave labour gang boss, especially after Brexit - growing their own in the back garden would avoid all these annoying regulations about unskilled migrant EU workers that were in the news today. Maybe ole Danny is on to something.

Archived