Hurricane Irma

Sultanpepa

Here in Orlando on a family vacation not for the first time, and the wildlife is just amazing. Only been here a few days and have already seen a list of creatures great and small. I may have a few shots to add to Alamy when I get home. Now I'm hearing evacuations are taking place in the Keys area for tourists due to hurricane Irma. I hope I won't have to but even the locals are stocking up on essentials like water. Shelves are apparently empty. I'll need to keep my wits about me for human interest images but i don't even have an editing suite on this laptop. Never ever thought I'd be close to a natural phenomenon so huge as a category 5 hurricane. I have a mix of excitement and apprehension at the moment at the possibility of capturing some images. Chances are that it won't happen or we'll be evacuated first. I'll try to keep you updated and maybe you can suggest images to try capturing. :unsure: 

This sounds on one side like a real opportunity on the other it sounds very frightening. 

Its though not clear yet where and if Irma hits Florida or the US mainland. 

Things I would think of for pictures 

empty stores and shelves, as people empty them out

maybe people with over-loaded shopping carts? 

hurricane preparations, where people nail their windows and doors shut 

short - just the real live

When it comes to the hurricane itself - I personally  am a well known bad weather wimp and would search myself a very safe place inside. 

I would not even dare standing behind the window to watch.   

sure you will find pictures and wish you fun doing so. 

Enjoy your holidays, but most important of all - you and your family stay safe!

27 minutes ago, hdh said:

This sounds on one side like a real opportunity on the other it sounds very frightening. 

Its though not clear yet where and if Irma hits Florida or the US mainland. 

Things I would think of for pictures 

empty stores and shelves, as people empty them out

maybe people with over-loaded shopping carts? 

hurricane preparations, where people nail their windows and doors shut 

short - just the real live

When it comes to the hurricane itself - I personally  am a well known bad weather wimp and would search myself a very safe place inside. 

I would not even dare standing behind the window to watch.   

sure you will find pictures and wish you fun doing so. 

Enjoy your holidays, but most important of all - you and your family stay safe!

Of course that will be a priority. Thanks

Orlando is 300 miles (500k) north of Key Largo, and about 400 miles (620k) north of Key West. Unless the Hurricane makes a sharp turn along the Florida coast, you probably won't find yourself in the thick of it.  Even so, If Orlando has text alerts, and you have a smart phone it wouldn't hurt to subscribe.

Just heard that Florida governor has declared a state of emergency. 

NHC is probably a good resource for information about the path probabilities and strength' of Irma: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Current prediction is to hit Florida as a Cat 4 by Sunday: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/145453.shtml?cone#contents

EDIT: Just saw a slight inaccuracy, the arrival time of winds appears to be a day earlier. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/145453.shtml?mltoa34#contents

NB: The area marked on the charts is the probable area and not the size of the storm.  

Are people really emptying out the stores and stockpiling everything usable, as news in Europe makes us believe? 

1 hour ago, hdh said:

Are people really emptying out the stores and stockpiling everything usable, as news in Europe makes us believe? 

Yes, that's what people do in costal areas whenever extreme weather is expected. 

After Hurricane Sandy we went 5 days without power, heat, phone service or public transportation in Lower Manhattan. I neglected to stock up so I had to ride my bicycle uptown to shop, charge my phone,  make phone calls and get cash. It was much worse in suburban or rural areas and that was "only" a Category 3 Hurricane.

I live about two hours drive north of Orlando, equidistant from the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. We are one of those places people from south Florida go when they evacuate. Having just returned from a trip to NYC last night, I went out today only to discover incredibly long lines at my local gas station, and shelves emptied of many items in my large, neighborhood grocery store. Bottled water, canned beans, canned instant soups, and packs of fizzy water had totally disappeared, as well as larger sized batteries. The rest of the shelves in the store looked totally normal.

It's still too early to tell what impact the storm will have on our area, but I do think it's important people be as prepared as possible. 

15 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

It's still too early to tell what impact the storm will have on our area, but I do think it's important people be as prepared as possible. 

I'm sure people are taking extra precautions after what happened in Texas.

Stay safe!

fD

Thanks for all your concerns, information and tips. Fueled up tonight no problem. Tomorrow we'll stock up with what we can. Unfortunately our trip to Wild Florida air-boat tours has been cancelled on Friday. Will try to reschedule for some time next week all being well. Again thanks for your help.

Having travelled to Cuba a few times in the last few years, I'm really concerned for the many wonderful people I met in the more rural coastal communities there. They have little to start with and the infrastructure is insufficient at the best of times. I'd hate to think what Irma might do to the beautiful but forever crumbling historic architecture of Havana, too. In the last couple of years, they've really started to make an effort to get restoration of buildings going (with a lot of outside financing, presumably), but this could have a devastating effect on the island. 

I have a FB friend in Puerto Rico who posted a video this morning. Fortunately Western Puerto Rico sustained less damage than other places which have been deemed 90% uninhabititable.

Her house is still there and she only has one tree down in her yard. Let's hope Cuba fares as well.

There was a very dramatic story on the news about the "Last Flight out of San Juan" where a Delta plane flew through the hurricane to land in Puerto Rico, and then took off through the hurricane to return to JFK in New York. I've heard that Jet Blue and Delta are now offering $99 flights out of Miami, as long as there are seats available, for anyone who wants to evacuate.

2 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

I have a FB friend in Puerto Rico who posted a video this morning. Fortunately Western Puerto Rico sustained less damage than other places which have been deemed 90% uninhabititable.

Her house is still there and she only has one tree down in her yard. Let's hope Cuba fares as well.

There was a very dramatic story on the news about the "Last Flight out of San Juan" where a Delta plane flew through the hurricane to land in Puerto Rico, and then took off through the hurricane to return to JFK in New York. I've heard that Jet Blue and Delta are now offering $99 flights out of Miami, as long as there are seats available, for anyone who wants to evacuate.

There have also been some very disturbing reports of price-gouging on flights out of Florida as Irma approaches. Caveat emptor!

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

There have also been some very disturbing reports of price-gouging on flights out of Florida as Irma approaches. Caveat emptor!

Yes they said the "average" cost of a flight from Miami to New York was $2000 before Delta and Jet Blue lowered it to $99.

19 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

Yes they said the "average" cost of a flight from Miami to New York was $2000 before Delta and Jet Blue lowered it to $99.

The Canadian media has been reporting on similar exorbitant fares. Airlines are apparently blaming them on booking agents.

At the moment I see pictures in the media of evacuations, preparations and stock piling. 

Understandably the most relevant at this time when news about Irma are in media. 

It is pretty well covered as it is a huge cat 5 and is now thought to hit Florida frontal.  

I have been out during a very strong winter gale once over which all traffic in Germany came to a halt. 

Decided to still drive 250 KM home - these were the most scary moments I had, with arm-thick tree branches flying all about. 

Quite a few years ago and had no camera on me :( - after that I would not do this again, rather stay somewhere inside.  

58 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Take a peek at IrfanView. It might do the job (?).

Take care and good luck...

53 minutes ago, Russell said:

On Windows, Faststone Image Viewer is good. Good luck!

Thanks folks, I went for Nikon's view nx2 which is free and does what I need. 

Archived