Do Larger Size Images Sell Better Than Smaller One?

John, I think it was you who gave me the downsizing virus. :unsure:

My sales were off a bit in August, but I don't blame my image size for that. This year and last I've been doing okay. I'll have to go back and see just when I began downsizing. 

26 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

John, I think it was you who gave me the downsizing virus. :unsure:

My sales were off a bit in August, but I don't blame my image size for that. This year and last I've been doing okay. I'll have to go back and see just when I began downsizing. 

I got it from our old friend David K. Remember him?

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I remember David very well and miss his advise. I did not know that he recommended reducing the file size. I hope his UK magazine is doing well. 

Yes, I hadn't considered downsizing until DK said that, as part of his workflow, he evaluated each image individually to see if it would benefit from downsizing for Alamy. At the time, he recommended reducing to 3600 pixels on the long side (24 MB) if necessary, which was Alamy's minimum file size at the time. I don't know how often he actually used downsizing, though.

I'm pretty sure he was recommending downsizing as a means of sharpening images at a time when Alamy guidance said no sharpening. He also used to suggest using a litle Clarity of the LR kind.

23 minutes ago, Southmind said:

About size, is there a max size for image width ? I have some pano with more than 8000 px width that I would like to upload. 

There used to be a 200MB (pixel dimensions or uncompressed file size in Alamy speak) overall limit but I don't know if there is any upper limit now. Just try it - you won't fail QC if it is too big - it will just automaticallyt reject the image on upload. An 8000 pixel pan would be well under 200MB anyway.

52 minutes ago, MDM said:

There used to be a 200MB (pixel dimensions or uncompressed file size in Alamy speak) overall limit but I don't know if there is any upper limit now. Just try it - you won't fail QC if it is too big - it will just automaticallyt reject the image on upload. An 8000 pixel pan would be well under 200MB anyway.

Thanks MDM. I use FTP to upload my files  and sometimes the files sent are never added to my Image Manager. I don't know if there is a problem with the server or if the files are rejected "as is" . I will try to send pano with the WEB uploader to understand if they are rejected.

Didn't we do a count for [FS] last time this question came up?

I have the impression my searches for [FS] have gone down.

While one would expect them to go up with 4K everywhere now.

wim

edit: my searches (you only see [FS] on your own searches.

I've recently seen buyers willing to spend a fair penny on larger images (RF). Personally, only thing leading to a reduced size would be cropping and downsizing for sharpness - otherwise as big as possible. I don't get the feeling that there would make any financial sense to buy camera purely to upload greater sizes than let's say what a 20-24mp can do - no hard facts though.

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Brian.

But I notice that your files are pretty big. At least on your page one. 

That's only because my file sizes have gotten larger over the years because of upgrading. 

As I write this, my biggest regret is over-upgrading. I'd be fine with the gear I had seven or eight years ago.

I haven't done anything with file size ever since the days when we had to upsize to 48mb (and submit tif files on CD/DVD, as someone just reminisced on another thread). I just submit the native size of 16//20/24 megapixels, depending on camera, minus crop/straightening.

53 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

That's only because my file sizes have gotten larger over the years because of upgrading. 

As I write this, my biggest regret is over-upgrading. I'd be fine with the gear I had seven or eight years ago.

I can surely identify with your upgrading problem, Brian.

I had a major case of GAS when I was downsized from my retirement job in 2008, I bought too much stuff I didn't really need.

I've settled into three mirrorless Sony systems now: NEX, RX10, and RX100/3. No more upgrading. I'm about to sell off a lot of gear through a newiish outfit here in NYC. I won't name them now, but if it works out well I'll post in the forum about my transaction (selling). 

9 hours ago, MDM said:

I'm pretty sure he was recommending downsizing as a means of sharpening images at a time when Alamy guidance said no sharpening. He also used to suggest using a litle Clarity of the LR kind.

Yes, that's correct, but Alamy still says, "Don't sharpen, leave it to the customer." in the reasons for QC failure PDF.

That said, Alamy doesn't seem as stringent about no-sharpening as they used to. However, I still prefer to downsize if I feel that it improves the overall "look" of a particular image. Alamy has never asked me for a larger file. My current cameras are only 14MP and 16MP. Images taken with with the 10MP DSLR that I used up until five years ago still license frequently.

Not for me. My top sale within the last years , 800 gross in 2016, usage inside as  bar/restaurant decoration,

was not shot with a D800 I owned for 2 years, not with my 16 mp Olympus - a D300 with 12 mp made it.

A scan of a 35 mm slide,  more than 15 year old picture, used for ads, 400 gross.

Only one sale as wallpaper where I could expect it was selected due to size (D800).

At least for me, travel photographie, the rare occasions where size mattes do not justify cost/weigth/handling of any mp monster(-lenses). But as I suffer from GAS as well, I upgraded to Olympus Pro lenses and the top body - but thats more for fun and 'having the options' .

Downsize to sharpen - I do it rarely if original size looks soft after explicit sharpening.

Depends on the use. For website use almost any size will do

It could be that if an art director has a choice of a large image or a small image he will buy the larger image. And art directors do have choices today.

As Wim says 4K everywhere.

Southmind I just uploaded a 29,075 X 5792 pano a few weeks ago and Alamy took it with no problem.

RF image calculator $365 for the large, $190 for medium file

Thanks so much, people, for the information and the opinions. I think I'm clear now as to what I was considering. 

This is a pretty damn good forum. Oh, I'm not supposed to say "damn"? Ah the hell with it. ops! I'm gonna have my siesta now. 

Archived