Using Adobe Bridge for raw image pre-review

In another thread, I gave this reply to an off-topic question, and it may be worth 'reprinting' here for anyong using Adobe Bridge whether with PS or Elements. The actions referred to apply on Mac OSX and should also be replicated on Windows. This is how I use Bridge's rapid full screen height view and 100% zoom to go through my shoots and select/reject images for conversion.

I do this in Bridge using these commands: Space Bar = full screen view. Click Mouse on any point on this view = zoom to100% at that point still in full screen mode. Right or left arrow keys = move to next picture AT THE MAGNIFICATION IN USE (full screen, move to full screen - 100%, move to next image at the same relative location for the 100% view). Mouse scroll = zoom to 200, 400, 800% or reduce the other way. Click mouse when zoomed = return to full screen. Press space bar when in zoomed mode or full screen = return to Bridge normal view thumbs and preview. Press Cmd+Backspace = Delete file entirely (which I hit if the 100% view falls short of required sharpness). Depending on your machine and your filetype and size, you may need to wait several seconds at 100% view to see the picture at its true sharpness.

You can also star rate your images during this process but I never bother. It's a very fast way of using Bridge/ACR which is slicker than Lightroom and 'intelligent' in the way it responds. So most of my pre-edit and pre-raw conversion selection/rejection is handled without going into PS.

David

Sounds good.

Do any Bridge Preferences need to be tweaked for this David? I'm thinking of how Bridge renders embedded previews and whether any specific Prefs need to be set. Also, do you tell Bridge to sharpen the previews (also in Preferences IIRC)?

The last time I used Bridge was a couple of years ago (CS5) it was painfully slow rendering NEF previews. I've since updated my Mac though and might give this a go. 

Thanks for posting.

Hi David, 

I have CS5 and use Bridge to go through pics. I do all of the above except delete - just hit delete button. Thanks for the space bar tip as haven't realised it goes to view full screen.

I find I spend ages doing what I consider complicated things with books and CS5 like water marks then discover I have missed easy things like graduated filter in PS. Wish I had found that one earlier to improve rubbish skies. 

Regards, 

Adrian. 

Bridge is not viewing a preview - it's actually converting the raw file on the fly, that's why it takes a few seconds. The previews and thumbs remain as per prefs. The quality of the full screen is only influenced by that preference (ask Bridge to build full screen previews in prefs, speeds up everything when you are workin. But the 100% view is not influenced by prefs. I believe that, like the thumbs, it reflects your Camera Raw Preferences for the file involved (so many be different for different filmspeeds etc).

Delete key only (backspace on Mac) takes you to the Reject or Delete dialogue, which requires an extra step. Command-Delete just deletes - one action, no dialogue. Perhaps the dedicated Delete key on PCs does the same as Command-Delete.

David

Thanks David but the bit in brackets has lost me I am afraid.  I will try the books to decipher. Yeah I did mean back space button but weirdly see it as a delete on my mac for raising the dialogue box to option going for a delete. Perhaps I need the final visual check. Mistakes do happen especially to me. For deleting pictures when I find several OOF pics I hold down cmd and hit back space to lose several at time. 

Regards, 

Adrian. 

I use lightroom shortcuts to rate and delete pictures (1...5, x).  I tried bridge for a bit but can not find the same short cut (required two key instead of one).  Curious if I am missing something.

I never used Bridge; I use LR4 for my Sony NEX RAW images and Capture NX2 for my Nikon images. I finish up both in CS5, maybe doing just the spotting at 100% and then the final conversion to jpeg. I do each image, one by one, and as I've gotten older I make a point of "no longer running for buses," meaning I'm not in a hurry. The work that is most boring and takes the most time is key wording. Next time we have a few days of rain here, I might try your tips on Bridge, David.  :)

Go to Preferences>Labels>Require the Command Key for Labels and Rating

De-tick this option and you will no longer need the Command key, the numbers will work directly just as in Lightroom.

David

Thank you sir!

Archived