Where has Philippe gone?

Steve Hyde

2 hours ago, GS-Images said:

*Knock knock*

Wake up Ed, where have you been?!  :)

Yep he's left. A real shame but it's understandable. I like both the people you mentioned too, but I also understand why he left. Some miscommunication at Alamy me thinks and maybe some priorities not quite as they should be? Just a thought.

Geoff.

Geoff, you understand that this is going to leave you to capture all the cow images yourself, even those wild cows. Wake up? I've been taking a siesta everyday for the past 40 years. I'm old-school Italian that way. <_<

On 9/4/2017 at 08:04, Martin Carlsson said:

It is a bit scattered around the forum and perhaps doesn't give/paint the complete picture. He's sorely missed though, that's for sure. Below are two of Alamy's posts on the matter. Hope it helps.

"Hi everyone, 

Posted in another thread but in case you don't see it:

The 'agree' and 'disagree' buttons have helped keep the forum an easier place to moderate. Those of you who may remember the old forum may recall how 'heated' it used to get, regularly, what with people being anonymous and having no mechanism for feedback like this.

We can of course appreciate the pros and cons of the system, but having experience of a community without these features, we're confident they do have a purpose. 

Philippe requested to remove his account and we actioned it. We did respond to say that although he assumed he was getting 'disagree' arrows from the same person constantly, there were actually a wide variety of users who didn't agree with many of his posts and they are entitled to hit that red arrow if they wish. There were other factors at play too, but we won't be going into detail here.

We limit the red arrows to five per day with unlimited green arrows being allowed. We can monitor who gives what and we do step in (behind the scenes) if we feel people are being unfair.

We always monitor the effectiveness of what we do, and if we feel there is a better solution for the forum then we will implement it. 

Thanks for all your feedback.

Alamy"

AND 

"Just a final post from us on this and a comment from me (James A) who dealt with the complaint.

Philippe's suspicion was that the same person(s) were hitting the red disagree button across all his posts. This had happened in the past and we dealt with it by contacting the person responsible and the issue had stopped.

In this case I looked at all the reputation flags people had given Philippe over the last 48 hour period and it was not any one person(s). It was a variety of different users, all using the red arrow to express their disagreement, much in the same way that many of his posts also had received lots of green 'agree' clicks too. In many cases the same people had clicked red on one post and green on another - we could find no evidence of conspiracy or rule breaking. 

Over the last few months, we had received a few complaints from different users who were concerned about Philippe's sometimes perceived confrontational tone. We took no action on these other than to let Philippe know that we had received this feedback, and we asked him to be mindful of it - particularly with new users.

My response in this case was to confirm to Philippe we had seen no rule breaking in this case (we would take action if we had seen any, as before) and asked again for him to just be mindful of his conduct with others.

Unfortunatey this had lead to him asking for his forum content to be removed and that's where we are now. 

We've given reasons previously about why the system we have is in place so I won't repeat it but we do monitor the effectiveness of it and we will make changes if we feel it's required.

I hope this clears up any confusion around the issue.

Best wishes,

James Allsworth

Contributor Relations Manager"

As I've said on another thread, I wasn't aware he had gone and I'm shocked by that, I have seen a few argumentative people on here, but Philippe seemed a good guy to me and I thought he always gave good advice, I don't recall him being difficult, but I guess some people don't like being given knowledge by someone who knows more than they do, which doesn't mean I think he was a know it all, from my point of view, he always gave good advice.

I was also shocked to recently read the reason the private messaging function had gone and the reasons for it! Crazy!

Chris

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Phillipe gone? Oh my. I really like Phillipe . . . but I like James A too. He's always been civil with me. I dare not comment on US politics. Where would I stop?  :(

It isn't even politics any longer, just plain nuttiness. I think that most would agree with that at this point.

Philippe is back in nature now, a saner place to be for sure. B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Aylish said:

I would not take too kindly to some judging my keywords and Images without me giving permission or asking for criticisms/Critiques. As i know Philippe did.

Aylish

Then beware of drawing attention to your images here. Forum contributors have nothing to hide but all sorts to offer.

All we have to do is click on that little blue number and all is revealed. If we have something constructive to say it we will, permission or no.

Philippe was simply a bit more direct than others. Partly through translation and partly....well being Belgian, probably, but mostly from a position of deep knowledge and wisdom which he didn't hesitate to share. He had been contributing for years in ways you may not be aware of as a new contributor

If you don't appreciate it may I suggest a rethink- maybe a trip to Belgium?

BTW it's "dessert".

Philippe was simply a bit more direct than others.

He was Flemish. They're just like the Dutch and extremely direct. I lived in Holland for 3 years.

I like his style, and can see how it may conflict with a more "polite" British communications style.

On 9/5/2017 at 21:24, hdh said:

suggest we meet up in Germany for an informal Alamy meeting. 

What might be a good place for this? 

Ruhrgebiet. Westliches Ruhrgebiet. Mülheim an der Ruhr. :-)

4 hours ago, vpics said:

Ruhrgebiet. Westliches Ruhrgebiet. Mülheim an der Ruhr. :-)

Would you guys be ok if I'd join your informal DE meetup, if it happens? Am still based in London but often back home and will at some point in the future move back. Would be great to know some fellow photogs there!  (Dortmund/deepest darkest Ruhrpott, can travel)

3 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Can we get away from this idea that the Dutch and Belgians are all direct to the point of rudeness? There are some rude and direct people here. Some, including politicians, even use their nationality as an excuse to be rude and direct. But it is by no means the norm.

The same goes for using a language other than ones mother tongue... a large percentage of the world are multi-lingual. Faux-pas happen. But its no excuse to be rude.

Reposting a chart that Martin Carlsson once posted in another thread. 

Hardly people want to be rude, a lot of (perceived) rudeness comes down to mutual misunderstanding. 

Own experience tells me the chart below is by no means the entire breadth of that topic (and most I personally learned the hard way): 

enhanced-buzz-orig-13765-1372685755-19.j  

25 minutes ago, hdh said:

Reposting a chart that Martin Carlsson once posted in another thread. 

Hardly people want to be rude, a lot of (perceived) rudeness comes down to mutual misunderstanding. 

Own experience tells me the chart below is by no means the entire breadth of that topic (and most I personally learned the hard way): 

enhanced-buzz-orig-13765-1372685755-19.j  

Thanks for the English instructions book :D

1 hour ago, Olivier Parent said:

Philippe's knowledge (about photography, wildlife, etc.) is considerable and valuable. And his sense of humour was much appreciated by many of us I am sure. As far as I remember, he was always willing to help and he did help a lot of people here on this forum, including some who did not appreciate his positions, maybe especially those who did not appreciate his positions. I tend to think that a constructive and relevant criticism, even if it is not exactly what one may want to hear, is more valuable than flattering one's ego.

+100

3 hours ago, Olivier Parent said:

Philippe's knowledge (about photography, wildlife, etc.) is considerable and valuable. And his sense of humour was much appreciated by many of us I am sure. As far as I remember, he was always willing to help and he did help a lot of people here on this forum, including some who did not appreciate his positions, maybe especially those who did not appreciate his positions. I tend to think that a constructive and relevant criticism, even if it is not exactly what one may want to hear, is more valuable than flattering one's ego.

Yes, yes, yes. I miss him so much. He was very generous in his help to me even though my images compete directly with his. If he sounded cranky when he was talking about microstock it was because he had been hurt by it. I get cranky too when someone is taking the food from my mouth.

Paulette

On 10/10/2017 at 11:53, spacecadet said:

Drop by Zuckerberg's place. He chips in there now and again.

Indeed he does, as do other Alamy contributors. There have been some good threads on there, although I still struggle with the user interface over there. It's not as usable as a true forum

Mark

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Indeed he does, as do other Alamy contributors. There have been some good threads on there, although I still struggle with the user interface over there. It's not as usable as a true forum

Mark

I find FB better than the birdy page. ;) 

19 hours ago, Bryan said:

Why the red arrows? I don't see anything personally insulting or greatly unpleasant in this discussion. Wasn't it the red arrow merchants who drove Philippe away from the forum?

Hey, I got one too! What's going on? Someone not like Zuckerberg's place?

BTW I know who gave it. Don't bother to reply to the post, just give a red arrow. Not how most of us do things, fortunately.

Archived