New contributor, only one would upload?

On 9/3/2017 at 08:01, Elizabeth May said:

I thought all 3 photos had uploaded in my 1st submission, but only one had.  Will that be a problem?

I did that by mistake too for my first upload.  It will fail as you need to upload 3 photos.  But just wait until you get a response and then try again.

1 hour ago, Elizabeth May said:

It did fail, I am trying agian but it had taken more than an hour for the 1st image to upload.  is this normal?

Hi Elizabeth, welcome!

It certainly shouldn't take an hour to upload one image.  I can't think why it would take so long - slow internet?

I had this problem for my first submission; Uploaded 3 images but only 2 were displayed. So QC failed. On the second try,  the 3 images were correctly uploaded but one picture lost its metadata... QC failed again... The third try was correct !  Good luck !

Even if you were trying to upload an uncompressed file like a TIFF, an hour sounds wrong even if your connection was a bit slow. Not all of us have fast broadband although even rural villages like my own are getting "fibre to the local box". A level 8 jpeg is good enough; I always sent level 10 when my connection was pretty slow. 

I hope that doesn't sound like gibberish. If it does you need a bit of help with basics.

2 hours ago, Elizabeth May said:

It did fail, I am trying agian but it had taken more than an hour for the 1st image to upload.  is this normal?

No that's not normal. Suggest visiting http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ to test your upload speeds are OK. I'm lucky we now have good bandwidth here and I get 50Mb/sec download and 9Mb/sec upload (upload is normally much slower than download). My Alamy images usually upload in a a few seconds each. Before our broadband was upgraded it was about 10x slower though.

Mark

3 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

No that's not normal. Suggest visiting http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ to test your upload speeds are OK. I'm lucky we now have good bandwidth here and I get 50Mb/sec download and 9Mb/sec upload (upload is normally much slower than download). My Alamy images usually upload in a a few seconds each. Before our broadband was upgraded it was about 10x slower though.

Mark

Oh I wish! Despite the Scottish Government's commitment to have fast broadband rolled out to every home by 2020, because we don't have a 'green box' there is no solution for us yet. And we only live 18 miles from the centre of Edinburgh. 

38 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

Even if you were trying to upload an uncompressed file like a TIFF,

Alamy only accepts jpegs. This has bee the case for years- I'm not sure it ever accepted anything else.

OP, if the problem isn't your connection speed, try FTP. It's lightning fast. I use Filezilla.

17 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Alamy only accepts jpegs. This has bee the case for years- I'm not sure it ever accepted anything else.

OP, if the problem isn't your connection speed, try FTP. It's lightning fast. I use Filezilla.

Doesn't really matter (now), but "back in the days" it was Tiffs if I remember correctly and had to mail discs in.

Yes, back when I started with Alamy in June 2005 it was DVDs by post. I think all the scans I did on my LS 9000 over the first two years were delivered that way when hardly anyone had a workable ASDL connection. But it has been compressed jpegs for a long time now. Understanding the basics about file sizes and compression is the undoing of many people starting out.

Archived