Betty LaRue

Have you done your legacy images?

Had a sale pop up today of an image from a set that I reworked last week. Could be sheer coincidence, but maybe not.

5 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Had a sale pop up today of an image from a set that I reworked last week. Could be sheer coincidence, but maybe not.

Delayed reporting. They bought the old one.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Delayed reporting. They bought the old one.

Probably.

On 2/12/2018 at 17:06, Cryptoprocta said:

Finished at last! (Bet I've missed a lot of typos, though. :unsure:)

Congratulations! I fully understand what you have accomplished. It’s not a fun job, but yet I got a strong sense of satisfaction from doing it.

Kind of like painting the kitchen. You put it off...you dread it, then you kick yourself into doing it. Then once done you stand staring at it with a smile on your face.

Now you are ready for good shooting weather without that little black cloud hanging over your head.

Betty

• Like 1

It's a never ending task, I've been through them once but continue to make changes. Sometimes wonder if it is worth it, particularly after spotting a sale where the contributor has failed to provide the most basic information yet has included a host of barely relevant terms! Luck, serendipity, probability all come into it....

I haven't got the discipline to sit and go through them so I do them as searches come across them. I agree it's a never ending task.

I started going through my legacy images methodically by date, but seeing how many I had left to do made it feel so much worse. I then did particular subjects instead, so I could then easily see which ones to cull and which to keep without keeping too many similars. I did quite a lot that way, then went back to the methodical date approach of starting at the newest (usually the better ones) and working backwards. I've reached the end of 2015 and don't have too many before that which I haven't already culled. I do also have a lot of live news ones to do, which I tend to do last (I probably should give them more priority). Along with adding new images it's a never-ending process.

44 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I started going through my legacy images methodically by date, but seeing how many I had left to do made it feel so much worse. I then did particular subjects instead, so I could then easily see which ones to cull and which to keep without keeping too many similars. I did quite a lot that way, then went back to the methodical date approach of starting at the newest (usually the better ones) and working backwards. I've reached the end of 2015 and don't have too many before that which I haven't already culled. I do also have a lot of live news ones to do, which I tend to do last (I probably should give them more priority). Along with adding new images it's a never-ending process.

I do it by subject (or location). It's definitely not as methodical as going through images submission by submission, but I find that I don't get as bored or intimidated. Also, I'm not exactly in a big rush. Seems to me that "tagging" has to be a continual work-in-progress these days if you don't want your images to sink into the depths of no return.

I agree that just because I finished them all doesn’t mean they are perfect. Sometimes I worked at it too long...well after I was brain dead for the day.  I’m sure mistakes were made or I got sloppy. I do know I’ve run across some typos.

Like Geoff, I did work on a few topics. Then I realized that I couldn’t know how many were left to do.  It seems I worked best when I could tell myself, “2009 is DONE”. On to 2010! When I saw a year finished, it seemed to spur me on.

Betty

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I agree that just because I finished them all doesn’t mean they are perfect. Sometimes I worked at it too long...well after I was brain dead for the day.  I’m sure mistakes were made or I got sloppy. I do know I’ve run across some typos.

Like Geoff, I did work on a few topics. Then I realized that I couldn’t know how many were left to do.  It seems I worked best when I could tell myself, “2009 is DONE”. On to 2010! When I saw a year finished, it seemed to spur me on.

Betty

That's what I did, except I worked backwards chronologically.