Have you done your legacy images?

1 hour ago, Martin P Wilson said:

The other thing I did with deleting tags was to remove the more esoteric or tenuous conceptual keywords, hence the much reduced number of keywords.

What approach have others taken?

I've been working on a couple of batches per day -- by subject or location -- and in some cases have seen views within 48 hours. Could be coincidental, of course, but I don't think so.  Where all this is going remains to be seen, but since I've got plenty of down time right now. Consequently, I'm going to keep plugging away. I've been removing some esoteric tags, but I've also been adding quite a few additional ones. I've tended to be too parsimonious (there's that word again) with a lot of my keywording. It's also difficult to know where the new "discoverability" thing is going. Alamy no doubt knows more about this than we do -- more may become the new less in the future. 

About 60% of the time, just adding the regular tags plus plurals or words like outdoors or indoors, day, daytime, two people only, 40-50 years old, Hispanic or Caucasian, or whatever, blue sky, copy space, copyspace, horizontal, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US. USA, U.S., U.S.A., United States, North America, gets me good discoverability. Around 40 tags. Barely into the green. Some subjects are so simple I do very few tags. As it should be. None of the above tags are spamming.

Some images I do put in concept words. 

If you put in “companionship” and If it applies to the image, it won’t hurt you. 

Only if you can’t see a connection between the image and concept tag will it hurt you. 

Betty

15 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

The other thing I did with deleting tags was to remove the more esoteric or tenuous conceptual keywords, hence the much reduced number of keywords.

What approach have others taken?

The perennial problem of uneditable overtagged legacy images means I do very little.

Oddly enough it's images from the couple of years before the introduction of AIM that are the problem- I'd already culled keywords from my earliest images, in the old manager, because it was easier than it is now. One could just cut them wholesale.

Working through mine, but it's a long and boring haul. Still, a fair use of the dark season. Been doing it for several hours a day for three weeks, and am currently working through August 2009, so getting towards my beginning in April of that year.

Alamy could have made the job a lot easier, but it is what it is.

Sadly, I haven't had a single download since 15th January, but can only imagine that's totally coincidental.

5 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Working through mine, but it's a long and boring haul. Still, a fair use of the dark season. Been doing it for several hours a day for three weeks, and am currently working through August 2009, so getting towards my beginning in April of that year.

Alamy could have made the job a lot easier, but it is what it is.

Sadly, I haven't had a single download since 15th January, but can only imagine that's totally coincidental.

I’m not getting sales, either. No fear, making them more easily found doesn’t make them not sell.  I think travel to warm places sells well during the winter. Escaping the cold, you know.

Things will pick up, says the optimist. :D

But you are right. Plugging through thousands ain’t no fun. (Says she, tongue in cheek) Although I admit it was quite the revelation to discover how awful my tagging and captions were early on. I felt like I was pulling babies out of the flood.

Betty

12 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

If willing to say, is this about (now) retagging, about reprocessing, or both?

Legacy images are one's oldest images???

Due to realizing improved batch processing results as time passes,

when'er I see duller earlier images, even if licensed, & I have time,

I reprocess that ENTIRE itinerary, starting with RAWs-->DNGs...

Am able to skip several steps ( = big time saver) now & still

see significant improvement vs. old processing & hopefully

more licenses than if old versions remained...

But that brings up question: is there anything in Alamy

contract that disallows old version & new version of

an image to coexist online...?

Tagging.

No, nothing in the contract- I never delete the old file if I have an improved version, but then I have very few, less than a dozen. In one case at least it's been the old version that sold.

On 2/12/2018 at 17:06, Cryptoprocta said:

Finished at last! (Bet I've missed a lot of typos, though. :unsure:)

Congratulations! I fully understand what you have accomplished. It’s not a fun job, but yet I got a strong sense of satisfaction from doing it.

Kind of like painting the kitchen. You put it off...you dread it, then you kick yourself into doing it. Then once done you stand staring at it with a smile on your face.

Now you are ready for good shooting weather without that little black cloud hanging over your head.

Betty

It's a never ending task, I've been through them once but continue to make changes. Sometimes wonder if it is worth it, particularly after spotting a sale where the contributor has failed to provide the most basic information yet has included a host of barely relevant terms! Luck, serendipity, probability all come into it....

44 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I started going through my legacy images methodically by date, but seeing how many I had left to do made it feel so much worse. I then did particular subjects instead, so I could then easily see which ones to cull and which to keep without keeping too many similars. I did quite a lot that way, then went back to the methodical date approach of starting at the newest (usually the better ones) and working backwards. I've reached the end of 2015 and don't have too many before that which I haven't already culled. I do also have a lot of live news ones to do, which I tend to do last (I probably should give them more priority). Along with adding new images it's a never-ending process.

I do it by subject (or location). It's definitely not as methodical as going through images submission by submission, but I find that I don't get as bored or intimidated. Also, I'm not exactly in a big rush. Seems to me that "tagging" has to be a continual work-in-progress these days if you don't want your images to sink into the depths of no return.

I agree that just because I finished them all doesn’t mean they are perfect. Sometimes I worked at it too long...well after I was brain dead for the day.  I’m sure mistakes were made or I got sloppy. I do know I’ve run across some typos.

Like Geoff, I did work on a few topics. Then I realized that I couldn’t know how many were left to do.  It seems I worked best when I could tell myself, “2009 is DONE”. On to 2010! When I saw a year finished, it seemed to spur me on.

Betty

20 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I agree that just because I finished them all doesn’t mean they are perfect. Sometimes I worked at it too long...well after I was brain dead for the day.  I’m sure mistakes were made or I got sloppy. I do know I’ve run across some typos.

Like Geoff, I did work on a few topics. Then I realized that I couldn’t know how many were left to do.  It seems I worked best when I could tell myself, “2009 is DONE”. On to 2010! When I saw a year finished, it seemed to spur me on.

Betty

That's what I did, except I worked backwards chronologically.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2018 at 23:36, Cryptoprocta said:

Me too, but I selected the sellers first.

Found some mistakes and probably introduced some new ones.

On 2/16/2018 at 17:36, Cryptoprocta said:

Well, :D that’s what I did. That’s why I said 2009 done, on to 2010!  My oldest were keyworded and captioned the worst.  They needed First Aid.

Betty

I've got so many old images on my hard drive to process that I can't see where I'd find the time ... but at the beginning of the new system I did tweak a few - it would probably be worthwhile but I think processing and adding new images makes more sense for me. 

Archived