Have you done your legacy images?

I realize I'm starting to see the dawn with my legacy images. I have from June 2013 to May 2014 left.  It's been a big job, but I've fixed captions, and chosen supertags.  Deleted run-on grouped tags, entered them separately. There were lots of images that were messed up royally in the transition to AIM. 

For several years, I did separate tags with commas.  Those moved over well. Except the ones with quotes, they were messed up. And who knows why tags in the old Comprehensive Field were grouped together.

How many of you are working on the old stuff?

Right now, I'm brain dead from several hours of working on them.

Betty

P.S.

I want Philippe here! I want him to make a comment about how this work is beyond him with all of those images. 

Philippe COME BACK!

I adopted a strategy of first fixing the known sellers, then started working back through the years. Currently chewing my way through 2011. It is wearisome work, but, with a better appreciation of the marketplace, I've been able to improve some sets of keywords while I've also found some errors. 

The problem is that It is all too easy to adopt a mechanistic approach, and do the easy fix, rather than try to genuinely improve the quality of the descriptions. When tiredness creeps in it is better to take a break, but I don't always heed my own advice!

At the back of my mind is the concern that all of this work will be in vain, will it really make a difference? Would it be better to spend the time in collecting new images etc?

Last summer (2016) I spent 3 months going through all my legacy images and making appropriate amendments. Then along came AIM! So, again I spent 3 months making the necessary tags and cleaning up the mess. Was it worth it? You bet your life it was. Things are looking a lot healthier now. 

Time well spent. 

I'm doing it in fits and starts, not in a very organized fashion. I won't see light at the end of the tunnel for a long time yet.

Most commas got stripped away when I uploaded, so I've got oodles of single-word supertags that need combining.

Not much fun but it must be done.

I must try to find some time for a concentrated attempt during the winter, but as a stop gap I've been trying to do these based on Alamy Measures.  I look at each image that had a sale or a zoom and correct those and any that got viewed at the same time.  Depending upon time I try and pick another 1 or 2 search terms and do those as well.  Missed a trick in not doing all the sold images, but thanks to Bryan will do that as a priority now.

35 minutes ago, York Photographer said:

Not done any, and have no intention! Rearranging my Sock Draw would be a more productive use of my time!

totally agree, no way am I spending time on this! Too much hassle, taking new images and keywording those properly seems more productive.

1 minute ago, GS-Images said:

Due to the long delay in seeing sales reported, it's hard to be sure. I know my sales dropped hugely though a couple of months after AIM and the new search engine were introduced, and my daily views dropped a lot too. As I re-keyword my images, they are seen higher in search results and my view numbers reflect that. My sales have increased a little, but with my low numbers it's not statistically meaningful. I am hopeful that over the next few months I'll see a lot more sales reported from the previous few months of higher views/zooms, and be back to where I was last year.

Geoff.

Thanks, I have done next to nothing since AIM was introduced and on my test searches I am much higher, top of page one many cases, than before despite low CTR. Mind you it is complicated by changes to the search algorithm over the same period. My sales are comparable to last year but the average value has halved, I have put a no PU restriction on all my images.

No - cannot see that it will be cost effective use of time for me. have not added images for at least 2 years. Have never been back to alter anything once uploaded and accepted. Introduction of new AIM saw my CTR jump to 0.8 and has remained about there since whilst sales numbers have increased by about 30 %. However price per image continues to slide which is why it is not worth the effort.

Were `i to consider supplying Alamy again I would revisit the subjects which have been most successful and probably cull all the older similars. Far more interesting and satisfying than wading through pages of keywords with no guarantee of a significant improvement in sales or that the system won't change again in a year or two.

All the other agencies I supply do the keywording for me and still give 50% commission.

Regen

I don't see why Alamy could not have transposed our "Essentials" keywords in the old regime to "Supertags" when they swopped to the new AIM.

Allan

No I have not done any of what Betty says either. Only to those that have been zoomed or licensed and not all of them either.

ITMA

14 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I don't see why Alamy could not have transposed our "Essentials" keywords in the old regime to "Supertags" when they swopped to the new AIM.

They did- or at least I think they must have. I have supertags on images going back years and I certainly haven't supertagged more than a handful myself. Usually only about 5 or 6, but some have 8 or more.

Some that I clearly remember now have exactly the same supertags as they had esskeys.

Since I used all the sections in the old image manager and wildlife has a more or less endless possibility for keywords my older images are way over 50 tags and all I can really do is add supertags and maybe change captions. I've done a bit but not much. I've discovered some messes with words bunched together and could delete those but I don't know if maybe they still help. Hate the new image manager, as I may have mentioned before.

Paulette

4 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

But has all the effort increased sales - numbers and value? Surely that is the only reason for doing it.

To me tge best answer has been when i edited one of the first img i've uploaded 1 year ago, it has been downloaded the day after for a +$100 sale :)

4 hours ago, GS-Images said:

Due to the long delay in seeing sales reported, it's hard to be sure. I know my sales dropped hugely though a couple of months after AIM and the new search engine were introduced, and my daily views dropped a lot too. As I re-keyword my images, they are seen higher in search results and my view numbers reflect that. My sales have increased a little, but with my low numbers it's not statistically meaningful. I am hopeful that over the next few months I'll see a lot more sales reported from the previous few months of higher views/zooms, and be back to where I was last year.

Geoff.

Geoff, you're right about the delay of reporting.

I suspect by the way some sales have instant reporting because i had 1 sale the day after i edited it. And that day i only edited 5 pictures.

A coincidence?

Very very strange because i didn't get any sales for 1 month.

Hi Betty!

No I haven't - with 20K legacy images it's all to much really - and it seems that so long as the supertags are in the right order that doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to their position in searches, at least at the moment.. The main improvement would be in terms of getting a few extra supertags in with phrases, as on average my legacy images have 6-7 supertags carried over. So I may very slowly look at the more obvious ones to do. But that does not take precedence over new images and their tagging!

Kumar (the Doc one)

For those who are actively working on them, I assume you have a method to tell which particular upload you've done.

What I do is this. Since the individual uploads have no title, when I've finished with a whole upload, I give it a title. 

Uploads I have cherry picked the best images to fix  from a particular upload, I give no title which tells me there are images in there that still need fixing.

I do visit images that sell or are zoomed and fix those. 

This method lets me easily see what's done and what's not done. I think it brilliant that the IT people allowed a way to title submissions. Without that feature, I'd be lost to remember what's done, since, like Geoff, I've worked from the back, from the front, and done some subjects.

Betty

1 hour ago, KODAKovic said:

To me tge best answer has been when i edited one of the first img i've uploaded 1 year ago, it has been downloaded the day after for a +$100 sale :)

Most sales take up to 3 months to be recorded as a sale on your dashboard, so it is highly unlikely your image was bought and paid for on the same day.  

Jill

I started upgrading as soon as AIM became available to me. I was probably finished in late November.

My sales have been trending up ever since. However it is difficult to say if the upgrade is completely responsible for the upward trend, as at the same time I converted all of my RM images to RF, deleted about 20% of my portfolio, and signed up for everything. Personal use etc.

11 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

I started upgrading as soon as AIM became available to me. I was probably finished in late November.

My sales have been trending up ever since. However it is difficult to say if the upgrade is completely responsible for the upward trend, as at the same time I converted all of my RM images to RF, deleted about 20% of my portfolio, and signed up for everything. Personal use etc.

You have unreleased farm buildings and vessels as RF.

I view this as a long term, rainy day project. My "legacy images" seem to be doing well in search results, so I'm not in a big rush to patch things up. It's a bit like knitting a scarf for a giraffe. I do a few images/inches every day and hope that I'll be around long enough to finish the job. 

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

For those who are actively working on them, I assume you have a method to tell which particular upload you've done.

What I do is this. Since the individual uploads have no title, when I've finished with a whole upload, I give it a title. 

Betty

Interesting idea. Just discovered, though, that I have no idea (?) how to give uploads titles. Guess I missed that discussion.

20 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting idea. Just discovered, though, that I have no idea (?) how to give uploads titles. Guess I missed that discussion.

There's a caption bar at the top of each sub with the sub reference in it. You can type your own name over it.

Archived