Why are some keywords not transferring from Lightroom to Alamy?

I have had a submission pass. Hooray. I need to use the Image Manager. Boo hoo. Now I cannot understand what has happened. I was a good girl and did keywording in Lightroom. I tried to be pretty comprehensive about it so as not to have to use much of the dreaded Image Manager. Some of my keywords have not transferred. I was very, very sure I had put in the common names of animals as well as the Latin names because that is actually the only thing I have always done. When I'm sorting my images after a trip they are keyworded with what kind of animal it is and where I shot it. That was mostly all I did in the olden days of a decent image manager to keyword in. So imagine my surprise as I go into the Image Manager today and find the Latin name but not the common name of the animals. I was also sure I had batch added "animal, animals" but only "animals" had appeared in the Image Manager. So I went back to Lightroom and changed "Enter Keywords" to "Will Export" and saw that, indeed, it was not going to export the common names or the singular "animal". Why???? Can anyone help me?

Paulette

Answering some of this myself. If I go into the keyword list and right-click on a keyword I get the option to edit it. One of the choices there is to include on export. I would like that box to be checked by default so that when I add words in the add keywords box instead of using the list I will have that word exported. I still don't understand why the common name is not included but the Latin one is and why animal is not but animals is. I think this is some kind of a change because in the old image manager the two names of the animal would come over. This seems to be a new problem for me and when I Google the problem I see that a lot of other people have the problem and no one finds a way to set defaults. The problem is in Lightroom and, for once, I can't blame the new image manager. Well, of course I can. If it wasn't so darn hard to use I could go back to keywording there instead of in Lightroom. So there.... have to get the complaints in so I can unburden my soul.

Paulette

Wish I could help you. But I don't tag in Bridge.

Does LR tags still export alphabetically? That would hurt proximity unless you use phrases. Of course, a lightly tagged image you can fix proximity by selecting supertags in AIM for the most important tags to stay next to each other when not in phrases.

I do as you do. Common name, scientific name, animal, animals, bird, birds, etc

I tag in Bridge. Easy Peasy. They stay exactly in the order I enter them, all singulars and plurals remain.

Betty

Thank you, Betty, but I don't want to get into another program. I am thinking of going back to my old system of just keeping it simple in Lightroom and then make templates in documents to add in the wretched Image Manager. There are some things about keywording in Lightroom that are very helpful but this weird one about the exporting is a puzzle. I know how to fix the problem to keywords individually in the keyword list but it is not the way I usually work. I'll sort things out gradually.

Paulette

On 9/1/2017 at 20:45, NYCat said:

I have had a submission pass. Hooray. I need to use the Image Manager. Boo hoo. Now I cannot understand what has happened. I was a good girl and did keywording in Lightroom. I tried to be pretty comprehensive about it so as not to have to use much of the dreaded Image Manager. Some of my keywords have not transferred. I was very, very sure I had put in the common names of animals as well as the Latin names because that is actually the only thing I have always done. When I'm sorting my images after a trip they are keyworded with what kind of animal it is and where I shot it. That was mostly all I did in the olden days of a decent image manager to keyword in. So imagine my surprise as I go into the Image Manager today and find the Latin name but not the common name of the animals. I was also sure I had batch added "animal, animals" but only "animals" had appeared in the Image Manager. So I went back to Lightroom and changed "Enter Keywords" to "Will Export" and saw that, indeed, it was not going to export the common names or the singular "animal". Why???? Can anyone help me?

Paulette

Are all your keywords individual keywords or are you utilizing functions such as "parents" and "synonyms" i.e. does some keywords contain other keywords?

Souldn't find specific help (and slightly unclear regarding the exact circumstances). If you compare the keywords on Alamy compared to LR, can you work out what the discrepancy is? If it is in Lightroom, right click on it and compare it to the one that made it to Alamy - what's different? Every single keyword has options if you check the Keyword List. If you used synonyms functions, you can toggle the "Export Containing Keywords" and "Export Synonyms" for that particular parent keyword or set. Hope you'll work it out and something helps.

Here is a link to an Adobe article on keywords;

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/keywords.html

Thank you very much, Martin. The words that I have worked on in the Keyword List to make synonyms, parents, etc. have been just fine and I can go into the words that didn't transfer and edit so that the box to export keyword is checked but I can't find a way to make that box checked by default. So it is a mystery. With the example of "animals" exporting but "animal" not doing so I need to go into the list and make them synonyms and I think that will solve that one. I just don't know why some have worked and others have just not had that box checked by default. Unfortunately, I sort of abandoned my keyword list years ago and have just entered keywords in the spot under the box or in the box itself. I know the whole operation would be easier if I straighten out my list and make some keyword sets but it is a chore I don't enjoy so it gets put off. It is frustrating that I used to easily keyword in the Alamy Image Manager and now I seem to have to keyword elsewhere. Thank you, York Photographer, for the comment. It does help to know I am not alone.

Paulette

• 4 weeks later...

Paulette

If you've got a load of keywords set up in LR and want to "straighten it out", you might find exporting them to Excel first slightly easier to review them all. Use Metadata > Export Keywords from the LR menu, and save the file in a folder of your choice. This will be a tab-delimited file so when you open it with Excel, just click "next" to jump through the import steps until you get a new worksheet with all your keywords in it. You will find that any which have the Include on Export box unchecked will appear in the worksheet enclosed in square brackets. If you have created a keyword structure (as opposed to just a long list) within LR, you will see that replicated in Excel as well. If nothing else, you'll be easily able to identify all the ones where you need to make a change in LR without having to go into Edit Keyword on all of them.

Oh, thank you, Richard, for trying to help. I am very limited in my computer ability having been a total luddite for many years and not having been in the sort of office situation where you learn things from other people. I have a Mac and although I have Pages I've never learned it. I don't have  Excel and don't want to get it or learn it. I do have a pretty good handle on Lightroom and know what I need to do there. I suspect I will never find out why some words were not exported and next time I do a submission I'll check what is showing up under "Will Export" and fix those words. It is actually my preference when I come back from a trip to just put the animal name and scientific name on every animal. The problem with doing proper hierarchies for me is that instead of just having "Bengal Tiger, Panthera tigris, tigris" on each of 5,000 images every one of those images would have the entire hierarchy of "Nature, Fauna, Mammal, etc., etc". Honestly when I'm looking through the images I'd just as soon not see all that. I used to do a lot of copy and paste in the old image manager and add the additional keywords there. Now I think I probably need to set up a bunch of Keyword Sets to use and those can contain the hierarchies just for the images I am submitting and not for every tiger I have. Yes, I have 5,000 to deal with right now. It is a joyful task. Some of them are horrible because, of course, if there is a wild tiger right there you can't resist taking a photo no matter what the light or background. It was a wonderful trip and that is what it is all about for me.

Paulette

PS. Love those sheep!

31 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Oh, thank you, Richard, for trying to help. I am very limited in my computer ability having been a total luddite for many years and not having been in the sort of office situation where you learn things from other people. I have a Mac and although I have Pages I've never learned it. I don't have  Excel and don't want to get it or learn it. I do have a pretty good handle on Lightroom and know what I need to do there. I suspect I will never find out why some words were not exported and next time I do a submission I'll check what is showing up under "Will Export" and fix those words. It is actually my preference when I come back from a trip to just put the animal name and scientific name on every animal. The problem with doing proper hierarchies for me is that instead of just having "Bengal Tiger, Panthera tigris, tigris" on each of 5,000 images every one of those images would have the entire hierarchy of "Nature, Fauna, Mammal, etc., etc". Honestly when I'm looking through the images I'd just as soon not see all that. I used to do a lot of copy and paste in the old image manager and add the additional keywords there. Now I think I probably need to set up a bunch of Keyword Sets to use and those can contain the hierarchies just for the images I am submitting and not for every tiger I have. Yes, I have 5,000 to deal with right now. It is a joyful task. Some of them are horrible because, of course, if there is a wild tiger right there you can't resist taking a photo no matter what the light or background. It was a wonderful trip and that is what it is all about for me.

Paulette

PS. Love those sheep!

Love your port, Paulette. Love how you view and frame.

Paulette

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I am very limited in my computer ability having been a total luddite for many years and not having been in the sort of office situation where you learn things from other people

In a previous life I spent the best part of 30+ years in an IT environment and so am not easily intimidated by computers and software, but I quite understand that other people might find those things a bit daunting at times. I see absolutely no shame at all in admitting to being a Luddite in any given sphere. Gawd knows, there's plenty of spheres where I come under that description - wildlife photography would be one of them. I found out about LR Keywords and exporting them just out of sheer curiosity to see what I would get, and from that experiment, the square bracket thing I referred to earlier. I'm afraid I have no experience of using a MAC, having been a PC user for more years than I care to remember (pre-dating Windows in fact) so I can't offer you any experience with that platform. That said, I doubt there any significant functional differences between PC and MAC versions of Lightroom software apart from the way the two different operating systems give instructions to the program.

I make no claims to be a Lightroom expert, but I have played about with it here and there to see what happens and am building up my knowledge of it along the way. If I can help by sharing that experience up here, I'll be more than happy to.

BTW - glad you love those sheep.  A word of advice - should you ever find yourself in my part of the world, be careful about saying that sort of thing in public, especially in some of the pubs. Its possible you might be completely misunderstood :D

19 hours ago, Richard Laidler said:

Paulette

In a previous life I spent the best part of 30+ years in an IT environment and so am not easily intimidated by computers and software, but I quite understand that other people might find those things a bit daunting at times. I see absolutely no shame at all in admitting to being a Luddite in any given sphere. Gawd knows, there's plenty of spheres where I come under that description - wildlife photography would be one of them. I found out about LR Keywords and exporting them just out of sheer curiosity to see what I would get, and from that experiment, the square bracket thing I referred to earlier. I'm afraid I have no experience of using a MAC, having been a PC user for more years than I care to remember (pre-dating Windows in fact) so I can't offer you any experience with that platform. That said, I doubt there any significant functional differences between PC and MAC versions of Lightroom software apart from the way the two different operating systems give instructions to the program.

I make no claims to be a Lightroom expert, but I have played about with it here and there to see what happens and am building up my knowledge of it along the way. If I can help by sharing that experience up here, I'll be more than happy to.

BTW - glad you love those sheep.  A word of advice - should you ever find yourself in my part of the world, be careful about saying that sort of thing in public, especially in some of the pubs. Its possible you might be completely misunderstood :D

Actually, the Luddite quote came from Paulette. :D

Archived