Hi All

Another fall in DACS here down £195 even though  last year I sold over twice as much . ????????????

Not sure where I'm missing out I find the claim confusing thought I had max ISBNs.

Regards

Jon

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

It looks as though £550 is the Max without TV/ISBN pool payments

Hmm.....in which case it's even more important to work on that additional pool of ISBNs (and to hope that the numbers submitted actually match the CLA's list of eligibe publications), and to get as many TV usages as possible (i have a strategy for that which is working well for me)

km

10 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

Hmm.....in which case it's even more important to work on that additional pool of ISBNs (and to hope that the numbers submitted actually match the CLA's list of eligibe publications), and to get as many TV usages as possible (i have a strategy for that which is working well for me)

km

Offering them to TV companies for free might make sense :(

As with many aspects of freelance photography, there is a world of difference between 'free' and 'for nothing'

km

Posted (edited)

Mine arrived today. Down over 30% from last year. I was able to provide very little info re ISBN's, etc. No doubt that was the main reason for the big drop. :(

Edited by John Mitchell

ISBN data that agencies won't give us

But does Alamy, or any agency, collect ISBNs-ISSNs per 

contrib & therefore seek £££s from both pots???!!

Can one arrange for Alamy to ONLY seek from one pot, not both...?

12 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

ISBN data that agencies won't give us

But does Alamy, or any agency, collect ISBNs-ISSNs per 

contrib & therefore seek £££s from both pots???!!

Can one arrange for Alamy to ONLY seek from one pot, not both...?

Not possible. If you want Alamy to claim from the ISBN pot you have to hand over 50% of your existing book/magazine main DACS claim. 

The TV element can be done on a 50% basis.

12% up on last years max claim for a max claim on both books and mags . No TV sales but ISBN/ISSN recorded well in excess of current 501/1301 max. Estimate that the "10% pot" accounted for about 40% of my claim. Now await claims made on my behalf by other agencies.

Regen

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 22:24, regen said:

It is quite easy to supply all the ISBN numbers when you have a large number of direct sales. I have over 2000 eligible sales for one magazine alone and seven book titles was enough to pass the 501 total required.

Regen

I understand that the isbn numbers have to match only certain books/magazines that are on the "photocopoied" list so although you had 2000 sales for 1 magazine that magazine may not have been on the "photocopied" list. As for TV reporting I see here some people are saying alamy do not let us have that info which is odd as I have had TV licenses reported by alamy

kevin

7 minutes ago, KWheal said:

I have had TV licenses reported by alamy

kevin

Not with sufficient detail to identify the transmission, I understand.

22 minutes ago, KWheal said:

I understand that the isbn numbers have to match only certain books/magazines that are on the "photocopoied" list so although you had 2000 sales for 1 magazine that magazine may not have been on the "photocopied" list. As for TV reporting I see here some people are saying alamy do not let us have that info which is odd as I have had TV licenses reported by alamy

kevin

If you go to the CLA site and type in the name of the mag then it will tell you the ISBN/ISSN if it is on their list- most of the commonly available ones are but not all. I have found mags which have an ISSN but are not on the CLA site list so they definitely will not count- pity thats about 2500 uses down the pan! What I don't know for certain is wether all mags listed on the CLA sire are eligible or only those which have been photocopied in the past 12 months or at some time in the past. I also do not know wether the 1301/501 maximums apply to the 10% pot or wether all uses which meet the CLA criteria are eligible.

With TV you need to know the name of the broadcasting company and that of the programme. Not sure about Alamy but other agencies I work with don't give all this info on the statement and if they are not claiming DACS on my behalf then the info has only been a phone call away.

Regen

This is from Picksel: 

DISTRIBUTION UNDER ACTUAL USAGE DATA

Collection of Usage Information:

Each licence year, the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) will select a representative sample of schools and institutions to take part in a survey to collect usage data comprising of the material copied over the course of a defined period. Each body is required, if requested, to provide usage data under the terms of their licence.

Prior to the reporting term, the CLA will brief the selected bodies on how to complete the survey and provide relevant materials for the purpose of collecting usage data. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, regen said:

If you go to the CLA site and type in the name of the mag then it will tell you the ISBN/ISSN if it is on their list- most of the commonly available ones are but not all. I have found mags which have an ISSN but are not on the CLA site list so they definitely will not count- pity thats about 2500 uses down the pan! What I don't know for certain is wether all mags listed on the CLA sire are eligible or only those which have been photocopied in the past 12 months or at some time in the past. I also do not know wether the 1301/501 maximums apply to the 10% pot or wether all uses which meet the CLA criteria are eligible.

With TV you need to know the name of the broadcasting company and that of the programme. Not sure about Alamy but other agencies I work with don't give all this info on the statement and if they are not claiming DACS on my behalf then the info has only been a phone call away.

Regen

In the past I have been supplied with this information by Alamy but it is longer provided. Perhaps whoever helped me in the past wasn't strictly supposed to. But it did give me the impression that it wasn't exactly a hard, time-consuming task to complete. So my assumption, right or wrong, is that Alamy withholds this information because it advantages them to do so, or at least, that it incurs sufficient time and effort to make it unaffordable to provide to contributors for free.

I don't think that I had any UK TV uses in 2016, but if I do in 2017 I will ask Alamy to claim for me on the 50% deal just for this part of the claim. There is no other option.

I would be happy to do the same 50% share on the ISBN/ISSN pot but unfortunately this is not offered by Alamy unless you agree for them to make the entire book/mag claim and that would not make financial sense for me. 

Edited by geogphotos

I have just received an email from DACS in response to why the 28% drop.

I'm sure they won't mind me sharing, there is nothing contentious, and it may answer a few questions.

"We mentioned that you may notice a proportional decrease in your overall royalty payment this year, even though DACS received the majority share, almost 90%, of the monies available.

This is because there were less funds available this year than in 2016 and also, we have received many more claims from artists over the past two year. As 2016 was an exceptional year for the amount available to claim for Payback, the number of claims did not overtly affect the amounts received by artists last year. However, this year's pot of money was a return to monies received in years prior to 2016 and so the number of claims has now started to proportionally affect some of the payments being made.

As you are aware, we also had to introduce new changes to this year's application process.  This year, 90% of funds were available through the traditional application process where everyone who applies and supplies their samples would receive a payment based on their claim.  For the new publication history pot for the remaining 10% of funds available, artists here would only receive a payment based on the number of matches of their publication history that was matched to the Copyright Licensing Agency's list of photocopied or scanned publications. If you would like more information about the changes to Payback, please visit our FAQs.

Regarding the 10% matches, I can confirm that you did indeed match both book and magazine publications with regards to the 10% pot – 4 book publications with 4 images in total and 2 magazine publications with 3 images in total. This royalty is included in your payment and the breakdown of this royalty payment will be included in your postal statement, which should be received to your address this week."

So without the extra ISBN info my claim would have been even less, so it was worth the effort... well kind of.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Not with sufficient detail to identify the transmission, I understand.

this is what you get, for example.:

Media: Television (editorial)
Print run: Unlimited transmissions
Placement: Use within body of show
Start: 02 August 2017
End: 02 August 2018
5 x digital transmissions on the S4C services (to include 35 day VOD) plus promotional use online [Company website/YouTube/Facebook].

You get to know the broadcaster,  and a probable date of first TX..., and the possiblity of being able to  track down the actual programme by their  website/facebook page.

That gives you a fighting chance

km

Edited by RedSnapper

Re TV transmissions, I have noticed when switching to BBC to catch the 6pm news, as "Pointless" is finishing it sometimes has credits to stills used from Alamy. Maybe worth a look.

NK

Usage: Editorial
Media: Television (editorial)
Print run: Unlimited transmissions
Placement: Use within body of show
Start: 26 June 2017
Duration: In perpetuity Rights cover all media, UK only, in perpetuity.

No chance

Posted (edited)

At what percentage split would letting Alamy handle "all" begin to make sense to contribs...?

Alamy keeps 40%?  30%?  25%  Or?

Edited by JeffGreenberg
because he bloody added two words

1 minute ago, JeffGreenberg said:

At what percentage split would letting Alamy handle "all" begin to make sense to contribs...?

Alamy keeps 40%?  30%?  25%  Or?

That's an unknown because we don't know how many ISBN uses will be matched. 

From DACS:

These changes will be introduced incrementally over the next five years starting at 10% of the overall share of royalties for visual artists in 2017 and stopping in 2021 at 30% for non-education publications and 40% for educational publications that are matched with the CLA photocopying publications:

Royalties received by CLA between 1 January 2016 and 31 December 2016
Education and Non Education: 10% to artistic works that are matched
Royalties received by CLA between 1 January 2017 and 31 December 2017
Education and Non Education: 15% to artistic works that are matched
Royalties received by CLA between 1 January 2018 and 31 December 2018
Education and Non Education: 25% to artistic works that are matched
Royalties received by CLA between 1 January 2019 and 31 December 2019
Education and Non Education: 30% to artistic works that are matched
Royalties received by CLA between 1 January 2020 and 31 December 2020
Education: 65% to available artistic works
  35% to artistic works that are matched
Non Education: 70% to available artistic works
  30% to artistic works that are matched
Royalties received by CLA between 1 January 2021 and 31 December 2021
Education: 60% to available artistic works
  40% to artistic works that are matched
Non Education: 70% to available artistic works
  30% to artistic works that are matched

Is there opportunity for Alamy to link DACS managing to collection size???

Or percentage increase in one's collection size?

We know one of Alamy's top priorities is continued collection growth, right?

What if they offered a higher permanent DACS percentage to contribs based

on incentives to grow collection, or reach a specific individual collection size?

(yes, I'm already all about size, but...)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I don't think that I had any UK TV uses in 2016, but if I do in 2017 I will ask Alamy to claim for me on the 50% deal just for this part of the claim. There is no other option.

I would be happy to do the same 50% share on the ISBN/ISSN pot but unfortunately this is not offered by Alamy unless you agree for them to make the entire book/mag claim and that would not make financial sense for me. 

Same here. Sounds like a fair solution to me. Alamy is better equipped to handle the ISBN/ISSN and TV stuff, and it's easy for us to file our own book/mag claims.

Edited by John Mitchell

23 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Mine arrived today. Down over 30% from last year. I was able to provide very little info re ISBN's, etc. No doubt that was the main reason for the big drop. :(

Mine showed a significant drop. Dont forget that we have to factor in a different exchange rate.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Mine showed a significant drop. Dont forget that we have to factor in a different exchange rate.

The exchange rate is irrelevant to DACS- all its revenues are in sterling. You need to compare those amounts.

Edited by spacecadet

Just now, spacecadet said:

You need to compare the sterling amounts. The eschange rate is irrelevant to DACS.

Maybe not for those dealing in sterling. but for others exchange rate is very relevant. It is the amount which appears on my bank account. It is the amount of income I receive. It is the amount I can spend paying rent etc. If the exchange rate has gone down 20% it is a trifle annoying and therefore relevant. And at the moment all I have to go by is the amount on my bank account as I have not seen the statement.

But for sake of comparison. I am looking at about 1/2 last year of which a not insignificant amount, but no means all, is exchange rate.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, KWheal said:

kevin

Is this one of yours?

Britain in the past -the stone age

published by franklin Watts ISBN 978 1 4451 6152 5

page 12b kevin wheal alamy -skeleton of cheddar man

A lot of alamy pics in this series of 6 books published this year

Regen

Edited by regen
add more info