4 hours ago, regen said:

The 10% pot accounted for 41.3% of my claim so either there were not many successful claiments or it will become a very significant part of future claims!

Regen

The 10% pot only accounted for 6% of my payback and that was mostly magazines.  I had nearly four A4 pages of ISBN/ISSN numbers.  I don't know what that means for the future but I'm guessing it's not good.  My payback was £200 down on last year even though I am maxed out for mags and books.

Pearl

9 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

IMO, all non-UKers

(pronounced YOOK-ers)

should have their paybacks

decreased by at least 1/3rd.

Am saying that as a non-UKer...

If US had DACS equivalent, I would

resent non-USers getting same as me...

(pronounced USS-ers)

I'm a non-YOOKer and mine was reduced by 1/3 this year.

It seems to have already happened.

34 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

The last thing I want is more nationalism.

DACS gives Payback for UK sales and is open to all who sell in UK.

Yes, other countries should offer the same - or at least that would be nice. 

Canada offers something similar (can't remember the name), but last I checked the process for submitting claims was draconian -- you actually had to supply photocopies of published images (a bit ironic) and copyright certificates of some kind, I believe. DACS is a dream in comparison.

Both my parents were British. I was born in what was then the British West Indies.  I lived in Britain for awhile when I was a kid, and I now hang my hat in British Columbia. So perhaps I qualify as an honorary UKer even though I find all forms of nationalism totally scary. I don't even know all the words to O Canada or God Save the Queen. I can hum them both, though. B)

36 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

This is the Canadian version. I attempted to apply a couple of years ago and gave up.

I gave up too.  Every time I checked that website I got a message as shown below.  Not sure when the actual period for applications is, but I've never seen it open.

Payback for Writers and Payback for Visual Artists

The 2017 Payback claim period is now closed.

30 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

Payback for Writers and Payback for Visual Artists

The 2017 Payback claim period is now closed.

The deadline used to be around September, but now it's been brought forward. 

They sent an email to previous applicants and most got in their claims early. 

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Canada offers something similar (can't remember the name), but last I checked the process for submitting claims was draconian -- you actually had to supply photocopies of published images (a bit ironic) and copyright certificates of some kind, I believe. DACS is a dream in comparison.

Both my parents were British. I was born in what was then the British West Indies.  I lived in Britain for awhile when I was a kid, and I now hang my hat in British Columbia. So perhaps I qualify as an honorary UKer even though I find all forms of nationalism totally scary. I don't even know all the words to O Canada or God Save the Queen. I can hum them both, though. B)

I strongly suspect you're over 35 and having one British-born parent was enough to make you British until 1981. So you are, and unlike those chaps who live to the south of you we recognise dual nationality. Welcome home.

10 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I strongly suspect you're over 35 and having one British-born parent was enough to make you British until 1981. So you are, and unlike those chaps who live to the south of you we recognise dual nationality. Welcome home.

Definitely over 35. In fact, the Caribbean island on which I was born was still a Crown colony when I showed up, which I guess makes me a British subject by birth. I never quite figured that one out.

Thanks very much for the kind welcome. However, for the time being, I'm calling planet Earth home (FBFW). B)

2 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

And...verified:

You can be a US citizen so long as you have a Canadian passport.

Thank you,

Bil Antoniou 
Royalties and Client Services Associate

Access Copyright, The Canadian Copyright Licensing Agency 
320 – 56 Wellesley Street West
Toronto, ON M5S 2S3
TF 800 893 5777

BAntoniou@accesscopyright.ca

www.accesscopyright.ca

There you go. I'm hangin' onto mine these days, that's for sure. B)

On 10/7/2017 at 14:55, John Mitchell said:

That's not my experience John.  I find Access Copyright about the same difficulty level as DACS.

BTW, I haven't got any money yet from DACS - should I be worried enough to e-mail them?

2 hours ago, Reimar said:

That's not my experience John.  I find Access Copyright about the same difficulty level as DACS.

BTW, I haven't got any money yet from DACS - should I be worried enough to e-mail them?

Do you supply photocopies to AC?

I would definitely e-mail DACS at this point. My payment came through at least a week ago. Good luck.

No John.  I don't remember details, but it's not that hard.

Oops, I was looking in PayPal.  It went right into my bank by wire on Oct 3.  Down to 80% of last year.  But hey - I got a big $2.24 from alamy for TV.

3 hours ago, Reimar said:

No John.  I don't remember details, but it's not that hard.

Oops, I was looking in PayPal.  It went right into my bank by wire on Oct 3.  Down to 80% of last year.  But hey - I got a big $2.24 from alamy for TV.

Glad to hear that you got your payment. Mine was down by over 30% but still a helpful amount.

Here's what A© says about affiliation requirements:

At least THREE samples are required if:

Your work is an image, poem, article, short story, chapter, or any other type of excerpt, published in newspapers, magazines, journals, books with ISBNs, books without ISBNs or self-published books. Please mail or email THREE work samples (per rights holder type, i.e. writer and visual artist) to Access Copyright. Work samples cannot appear in the same publication unless they have been published in three separate issues. One of your work samples must be from a publication with an ISBN or an ISSN in order to be eligible to register with Access Copyright as a creator affiliate.

For each sample, please provide photocopies or scans of the following from the published edition of the work:

1. The cover of the work (e.g., cover of the magazine, newspaper, journal or book that your work appears in
  2. The copyright page of the book or masthead of the serial publication
  3. For Writers – the first page your work appears on in the publication
  4. For Visual Artists - one page of your visual work as it appears in the publication with a credit to you as the visual artist.

17 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I don't think I did much more than take screen grabs of the few ISBNs I could find using google.

If you're not sure, ask them.  They are helpful.

I'm lousy at finding ISBN's, etc. but I'll look into this again.

Merci beaucoup

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

If Alamy is taking a 50% cut, it doesn't appear in the figures.

Unless things have changed, I understand Alamy take 50% of the  DACS figure, and in addition, an administrative charge for the work involved.

27 minutes ago, Phil Preston said:

Unless things have changed, I understand Alamy take 50% of the  DACS figure, and in addition, an administrative charge for the work involved.

You may well be correct, but last year I inadvertently claimed independently and through Alamy (not being aware that Alamy was making the claim on my behalf) and I received more from Alamy.  (To be clear I did refund DACs!).  Of course this may be due to the fact that I was unable to identify all of the opportunities for payment, but I did sent DACs a copy of all of my Alamy sales over the relevant period. I concluded, that, in my situation, I was better off using the Alamy route.

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

You may well be correct, but last year I inadvertently claimed independently and through Alamy (not being aware that Alamy was making the claim on my behalf) and I received more from Alamy.  (To be clear I did refund DACs!).  Of course this may be due to the fact that I was unable to identify all of the opportunities for payment, but I did sent DACs a copy of all of my Alamy sales over the relevant period. I concluded, that, in my situation, I was better off using the Alamy route.

Interesting to hear that. By "opportunities for payment" do you mean missing ISBN"s and ISSN's?

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting to hear that. By "opportunities for payment" do you mean missing ISBN"s and ISSN's?

I guess so John, but my independent applications were just based upon the spreadsheet of my sales, edited to remove non relevant material. Perhaps I could have tried harder, but detailed info is hard to come by.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I guess so John, but my independent applications were just based upon the spreadsheet of my sales, edited to remove non relevant material. Perhaps I could have tried harder, but detailed info is hard to come by.

Yes, I too have had little luck finding ISBN's, etc. It would be helpful to know exactly how much Alamy does withhold for their services. I thought it was 50%.

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, I too have had little luck finding ISBN's, etc. It would be helpful to know exactly how much Alamy does withhold for their services. I thought it was 50%.

It is 50% plus expenses but when i asked they would not tell me how much the expenses were. Are Alamy actively trying to claim on the 10% pot?

Regen

Archived