1 hour ago, famousbelgian said:

The payment for my own claim came through yesterday (£258), very happy with that given no ISBNs were submitted.

Thanks for all the tips on searching for ISBNs, I will give this a go over the coming weeks.

Marc 

I spent the best part of a day finding ISBNs etc. but I'm not convinced it was worth the bother - I got £258.82.   Maybe the 82p was for all the extra work..!

Down £49.54 on last year and my lowest pay-out in the nine years that I've claimed.  I suppose the main problem is the number of claimants has risen over the years as more people get to know about it.

19 hours ago, Tony said:

So I did a days work to find out all the extra publication info DACS asked for.

My reward...

£165 LESS than last year!!!

But you'd have lost even more if you hadn't.

Running to stand still? Sounds like the stock business.

22 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

as a guesstimate... based on my own claims history

I'd say it would be around £1200.....

km

I wish.  I am maxed out on books and mags, submitted 3 x A4 sheets of ISBN/ISSNs and had some TV claims (although DACS never confirmed they had accepted those) and I got £500 which is £200 less than last year.  A colleague who sells a lot less than me got almost the same amount.  

Pearl

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

It looks as though £550 is the Max without TV/ISBN pool payments

Hmm.....in which case it's even more important to work on that additional pool of ISBNs (and to hope that the numbers submitted actually match the CLA's list of eligibe publications), and to get as many TV usages as possible (i have a strategy for that which is working well for me)

km

12% up on last years max claim for a max claim on both books and mags . No TV sales but ISBN/ISSN recorded well in excess of current 501/1301 max. Estimate that the "10% pot" accounted for about 40% of my claim. Now await claims made on my behalf by other agencies.

Regen

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 22:24, regen said:

It is quite easy to supply all the ISBN numbers when you have a large number of direct sales. I have over 2000 eligible sales for one magazine alone and seven book titles was enough to pass the 501 total required.

Regen

I understand that the isbn numbers have to match only certain books/magazines that are on the "photocopoied" list so although you had 2000 sales for 1 magazine that magazine may not have been on the "photocopied" list. As for TV reporting I see here some people are saying alamy do not let us have that info which is odd as I have had TV licenses reported by alamy

kevin

22 minutes ago, KWheal said:

I understand that the isbn numbers have to match only certain books/magazines that are on the "photocopoied" list so although you had 2000 sales for 1 magazine that magazine may not have been on the "photocopied" list. As for TV reporting I see here some people are saying alamy do not let us have that info which is odd as I have had TV licenses reported by alamy

kevin

If you go to the CLA site and type in the name of the mag then it will tell you the ISBN/ISSN if it is on their list- most of the commonly available ones are but not all. I have found mags which have an ISSN but are not on the CLA site list so they definitely will not count- pity thats about 2500 uses down the pan! What I don't know for certain is wether all mags listed on the CLA sire are eligible or only those which have been photocopied in the past 12 months or at some time in the past. I also do not know wether the 1301/501 maximums apply to the 10% pot or wether all uses which meet the CLA criteria are eligible.

With TV you need to know the name of the broadcasting company and that of the programme. Not sure about Alamy but other agencies I work with don't give all this info on the statement and if they are not claiming DACS on my behalf then the info has only been a phone call away.

Regen

I have just received an email from DACS in response to why the 28% drop.

I'm sure they won't mind me sharing, there is nothing contentious, and it may answer a few questions.

"We mentioned that you may notice a proportional decrease in your overall royalty payment this year, even though DACS received the majority share, almost 90%, of the monies available.

This is because there were less funds available this year than in 2016 and also, we have received many more claims from artists over the past two year. As 2016 was an exceptional year for the amount available to claim for Payback, the number of claims did not overtly affect the amounts received by artists last year. However, this year's pot of money was a return to monies received in years prior to 2016 and so the number of claims has now started to proportionally affect some of the payments being made.

As you are aware, we also had to introduce new changes to this year's application process.  This year, 90% of funds were available through the traditional application process where everyone who applies and supplies their samples would receive a payment based on their claim.  For the new publication history pot for the remaining 10% of funds available, artists here would only receive a payment based on the number of matches of their publication history that was matched to the Copyright Licensing Agency's list of photocopied or scanned publications. If you would like more information about the changes to Payback, please visit our FAQs.

Regarding the 10% matches, I can confirm that you did indeed match both book and magazine publications with regards to the 10% pot – 4 book publications with 4 images in total and 2 magazine publications with 3 images in total. This royalty is included in your payment and the breakdown of this royalty payment will be included in your postal statement, which should be received to your address this week."

So without the extra ISBN info my claim would have been even less, so it was worth the effort... well kind of.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Not with sufficient detail to identify the transmission, I understand.

this is what you get, for example.:

Media: Television (editorial)
Print run: Unlimited transmissions
Placement: Use within body of show
Start: 02 August 2017
End: 02 August 2018
5 x digital transmissions on the S4C services (to include 35 day VOD) plus promotional use online [Company website/YouTube/Facebook].

You get to know the broadcaster,  and a probable date of first TX..., and the possiblity of being able to  track down the actual programme by their  website/facebook page.

That gives you a fighting chance

km

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I don't think that I had any UK TV uses in 2016, but if I do in 2017 I will ask Alamy to claim for me on the 50% deal just for this part of the claim. There is no other option.

I would be happy to do the same 50% share on the ISBN/ISSN pot but unfortunately this is not offered by Alamy unless you agree for them to make the entire book/mag claim and that would not make financial sense for me. 

Same here. Sounds like a fair solution to me. Alamy is better equipped to handle the ISBN/ISSN and TV stuff, and it's easy for us to file our own book/mag claims.

12 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Mine showed a significant drop. Dont forget that we have to factor in a different exchange rate.

The exchange rate is irrelevant to DACS- all its revenues are in sterling. You need to compare those amounts.

18 hours ago, KWheal said:

kevin

Is this one of yours?

Britain in the past -the stone age

published by franklin Watts ISBN 978 1 4451 6152 5

page 12b kevin wheal alamy -skeleton of cheddar man

A lot of alamy pics in this series of 6 books published this year

Regen

2 hours ago, regen said:

Is this one of yours?

Britain in the past -the stone age

published by franklin Watts ISBN 978 1 4451 6152 5

page 12b kevin wheal alamy -skeleton of cheddar man

A lot of alamy pics in this series of 6 books published this year

Regen

Yes. Thanks for that. I never had where it was used

Kevin

On 10/3/2017 at 09:56, regen said:

12% up on last years max claim for a max claim on both books and mags . No TV sales but ISBN/ISSN recorded well in excess of current 501/1301 max. Estimate that the "10% pot" accounted for about 40% of my claim. Now await claims made on my behalf by other agencies.

Regen

The 10% pot accounted for 41.3% of my claim so either there were not many successful claiments or it will become a very significant part of future claims!

Regen

Archived