52 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

(and my direct TV licences)

TV licences are only eligible for one year and are worth considerably more than book or mag licences- thats how DACS can claim that one individual got £4500? from them. 

What will be interesting will be how much all that extra work on getting the ISBN/ISSN is really worth. With a claim based on max books and mags and more than 501/1301 recorded in each but no TV licences I may have an idea when I get my statement.

Regen

It is quite easy to supply all the ISBN numbers when you have a large number of direct sales. I have over 2000 eligible sales for one magazine alone and seven book titles was enough to pass the 501 total required.

Regen

On 29/09/2017 at 22:24, regen said:

It is quite easy to supply all the ISBN numbers when you have a large number of direct sales. I have over 2000 eligible sales for one magazine alone and seven book titles was enough to pass the 501 total required.

Regen

Yes I can see that direct sales are easy but finding ones through Alamy is far from easy. And as we know they can't or won't provide the information.

Using Google I have tracked down about 120 book uses and a handful of magazines. I had only about 70 when I made my claim.

And this year 0 for TV claims, one year not long ago Alamy provided me with my TV uses. The next year I asked I was told that the information wasn't available and it hasn't been since. Unfortunately Alamy will not permi........................... (This is incorrect Alamy does permit a TV claim on 50% basis - thanks for the reminder below, apologies for my error. It is the ISBN pool that I was thinking of)

Edited by geogphotos
To correct bigly misinformation
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Yes I can see that direct sales are easy but finding ones through Alamy is far from easy. And as we know they can't or won't provide the information.

Using Google I have tracked down about 120 book uses and a handful of magazines. I had only about 70 when I made my claim.

And this year 0 for TV claims, one year not long ago Alamy provided me with my TV uses. The next year I asked I was told that the information wasn't available and it hasn't been since. Unfortunately Alamy will not permit a separate TV claim on a 50% basis, it is either all or nothing. 

Edited 1 hour ago by geogphotos

Agree entirely Ian. This is why the latest move favours the agencies over the individual.  However every agency seems to apply different rules,usually based upon the small print in the contract. Some actually specify that they are entitled to a percentage of secondary rights. I now have three other agencies which are claiming secondary rights payments either thro DACS or PICsel for licences sold on my behalf. Fortunately I do not need any of the agency licences for a full claim under the old system. However when the 10/40% starts to bite (assuming that it is significant) or eventually becomes the only system then access to the agency licences may be in my favour. At the moment i do not allow Alamy to make a claim on my behalf but may well let them next year.

The DACs system still gives a disproportionate amount of the pot to those in the lower bands and I wonder if the new system will help to redress this balance but i have yet to find out if there is a ceiling on the new system. i.e. will all my ISSN qualifying licences be eligible or will the existing maximums still apply. Will all the distribution companies sing from the same hymn sheet or will they decide individually on how to slice their share of the pie?

Interesting times ahead

Regen

Out of interest, what search parameter is best in Google for this purpose?  ie. Alamy book contributor name etc...

John

16 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

so those of you seeing a fall in payments, did you do the extra work to list *all* your qualifying ISBNs and ISSN's?

My payout was up 15+%

km

Mine was down 40% - and yes, I did a lot of extra work listing all the details I could find.

25 minutes ago, John Walker said:

Out of interest, what search parameter is best in Google for this purpose?  ie. Alamy book contributor name etc...

John

I try several
My pseudo + Alamy -alamy.com (to ignore all the results from Alamy itself)

A similar image search will bring up some other results, as will a special search under 'books' (on Google Chrome, at least)

I find using '-xxx' useful for shutting out results from other distributors and my own website too

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, John Walker said:

John

I use this Google search string

MyPseudonym Alamy -www.alamy -de.alamy.com -Frames

The -terms remove most (but not all) of the irrelevant stuff.

NB. When I originally chose my Pseudonym I made up a word that gave no hits on Google, which helps!

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately Alamy will not permit a separate TV claim on a 50% basis, it is either all or nothing.

Yes they do, I submit my own claim and Alamy claims for my TV licenses on a 50% basis, I emailed them only a few weeks ago to check they had claimed for TV on my behalf and they confirmed it to me.

The payment for my own claim came through yesterday (£258), very happy with that given no ISBNs were submitted.

Thanks for all the tips on searching for ISBNs, I will give this a go over the coming weeks.

Marc 

So I did a days work to find out all the extra publication info DACS asked for.

My reward...

£165 LESS than last year!!!

20 minutes ago, famousbelgian said:

Yes they do, I submit my own claim and Alamy claims for my TV licenses on a 50% basis, I emailed them only a few weeks ago to check they had claimed for TV on my behalf and they confirmed it to me.

The payment for my own claim came through yesterday (£258), very happy with that given no ISBNs were submitted.

Thanks for all the tips on searching for ISBNs, I will give this a go over the coming weeks.

Marc 

Apologies - my mistake.

It must be the ISBN pool that can't be done on a 50% basis.

1 hour ago, famousbelgian said:

Marc 

I spent the best part of a day finding ISBNs etc. but I'm not convinced it was worth the bother - I got £258.82.   Maybe the 82p was for all the extra work..!

Down £49.54 on last year and my lowest pay-out in the nine years that I've claimed.  I suppose the main problem is the number of claimants has risen over the years as more people get to know about it.

19 hours ago, Tony said:

So I did a days work to find out all the extra publication info DACS asked for.

My reward...

£165 LESS than last year!!!

But you'd have lost even more if you hadn't.

Running to stand still? Sounds like the stock business.

19 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I spent the best part of a day finding ISBNs etc. but I'm not convinced it was worth the bother - I got £258.82.   Maybe the 82p was for all the extra work..!

Down £49.54 on last year and my lowest pay-out in the nine years that I've claimed.  I suppose the main problem is the number of claimants has risen over the years as more people get to know about it.

You have to have a match to get an ISBN reward.

Presumably textbooks copied in schools and colleges will produce more hits than most other books? 

And who photocopies magazines all that much?

I'll come back to an idea that I raised before ( though of curse it isn't going to happen) that publishers inform CLA of the ISBN/ISSN or each publication and provide a digital record of image credits along with standard information about print run. All this information exists on different databases. 

Can anybody volunteer the 2017 DACS for:

Max Books

Max Mags

No TV

No ISBN/ISSN pot

No VAT

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Can anybody volunteer the 2017 DACS for:

Max Books

Max Mags

No TV

No ISBN/ISSN pot

No VAT

Not sure I understand your question.:unsure:

Posted (edited)

Sorry not to be clear.

How much is the DACs payment for a person with maximum number of books claimed, max number of magazine uses claimed, zero TV claims for 2017, no separate claim for ISBN/ISSN numbers, and without adding VAT?

i.e.) the basic level for a person who has the maximum number of book and magazine uses but nothing else added.

Edited by geogphotos

as a guesstimate... based on my own claims history

I'd say it would be around £1200.....

km

2 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

km

I hope that you are right :)

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

Is this what your own DACS claim is based on ?

No, but close. I did submit a small ISBN list of around 70 books ( some textbooks) and am VAT registered. But no TV uses claimed this year - I had some but not enough details and none through Alamy. I am at Max for books and mags.

I just wondered what the sort of base level figure is for 2017. 

Edited by geogphotos

My directly claimed payout was down 14% this year at £333.52. No extra ISBN claim and no TV sales.

John.

22 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

km

I wish.  I am maxed out on books and mags, submitted 3 x A4 sheets of ISBN/ISSNs and had some TV claims (although DACS never confirmed they had accepted those) and I got £500 which is £200 less than last year.  A colleague who sells a lot less than me got almost the same amount.  

Pearl

The DACS summary also suggests that Keith's guesstimate for just books and mags is very optimistic.

Overall, individual royalty payments for work published in UK books and magazines range from £25 to £550, with the median payment £150. While the highest payment for work published in books and magazines and broadcast on TV was £5400.

It looks as though £550 is the Max without TV/ISBN pool payments