Hello from France

Southmind

Hello all ! I applied to Alamy 3 years ago but never uploaded nothing... <_< Well, I am a contributor to other stocks but did a deep break for years...  and recently decided to start to upload again. Alamy seems to be a good place to propose something different  than "red tomatoes on white background" and I was happy to pass the test 2 days ago ! As newbie on Alamy, I have ton of questions and need time to learn the philosophy of the site. Happy to be with you :)

Serge

Welcome to Alamy Serge. You have three lovely images there, now you need to concentrate on improving your keywording if you want your images to be seen by buyers.

I will leave it to Philippe and others to bring you up to speed.

Allan

Thanks for your nice comments .

@Allan : I tried to improve the "discoverability" for the first image (the sunrise with the moon") with 47/50 keywords (but I don't want to spam the search engine either)  and by adding supertags without success :  the discoverability still stay to "poor". :huh:

@Geoff : You are right, but whenever I can, I add the scientific name. I admit that for the ducks, I did not find. This photo was unlikely ... I did not have the right material, not the right objective (only my 17/50) and I did not want to afraid this little family. I took other funny pictures, when they tried to swim in the waves, but alas they are too blurry for stock. I didn't know the phrases were allowed as tags but thanks this is a good tip.

I also do illustrations and I have a lot of Editorial images too  (mainly sport events :  regatta, cycling, ironman...) 

More to come !

Again, thanks to both of you.

20 hours ago, Southmind said:

Thanks for your nice comments .

@Allan : I tried to improve the "discoverability" for the first image (the sunrise with the moon") with 47/50 keywords (but I don't want to spam the search engine either)  and by adding supertags without success :  the discoverability still stay to "poor". :huh:

@Geoff : You are right, but whenever I can, I add the scientific name. I admit that for the ducks, I did not find. This photo was unlikely ... I did not have the right material, not the right objective (only my 17/50) and I did not want to afraid this little family. I took other funny pictures, when they tried to swim in the waves, but alas they are too blurry for stock. I didn't know the phrases were allowed as tags but thanks this is a good tip.

I also do illustrations and I have a lot of Editorial images too  (mainly sport events :  regatta, cycling, ironman...) 

More to come !

Again, thanks to both of you.

Hi Serge and thanks for replying. So few newcomers answer our posts.

As has been mentioned in other threads on the forums ignore trying to achieve high discoverability it does not do or mean anything. Just keep to tags, captions, etc that convey what is in the images.

There is a thread on the "Lets talk about images" forum entitled "Image identification". If you load your image to that thread asking what your ducks are called someone will be able to tell you. Yes we are in competition with each other but we also help each other out when we can.

Allan

Hello Allan, by following your advice yesterday , I found more recent publications about these ducks, which I had not found when I took the picture years ago. That's the problem when we use metadata on a picture, we never change the content...  

Is the keywords sort order important ? I mean , is the first keyword more important than the last for the search engine ?

I don't plan to upload a large amount of my existing images, just the ones that are less MS compatibles... just to build a basic portfolio, and then I will add exclusives photos and illustrations here.  A long process... 

59 minutes ago, Southmind said:

Hello Allan, by following your advice yesterday , I found more recent publications about these ducks, which I had not found when I took the picture years ago. That's the problem when we use metadata on a picture, we never change the content...  

Is the keywords sort order important ? I mean , is the first keyword more important than the last for the search engine ?

I don't plan to upload a large amount of my existing images, just the ones that are less MS compatibles... just to build a basic portfolio, and then I will add exclusives photos and illustrations here.  A long process... 

Keywording order is considered by most to be important. Tagging, as it is called on Alamy now, is also important in the we can have a run of words in one tag making up a small sentence such as a researcher would enter to find an image,

Allan

6 hours ago, GS-Images said:

You're welcome, both of you.  :)

Geoff.

Really, thank you for your welcome and your help to you both . I leave 10 days to travel but I will come back with ton of photos and new questions :D;)

18 hours ago, Southmind said:

Really, thank you for your welcome and your help to you both . I leave 10 days to travel but I will come back with ton of photos and new questions :D;)

I think if I lived in Nice or on the Fresh Riviera I could spend the rest of my life just taking photos of the area.B)

Allan

On 23/08/2017 at 19:13, GS-Images said:

Just to clarify something about tag (keyword order) - The position the tags appear don't make a difference to how much weight each tag has. What makes a difference is the proximity of tags with other tags. So take a list of tags that appear in this order....

banana, boat, skin, cows, milking, farm, tree, animals

If someone searches for "banana skin", your image will appear in a certain position depending on many other factors. However, if you have tags in this order....

banana, skin, boat, cows, milking, farm, tree, animals

.....then the fact "banana" and "skin" are next to each other increases the placement of that image in search results. The way all this works has possibly changed, but in recent months that is roughly how Alamy explained the situation with tags.

Having said all that, it's sometimes the case that tags don't appear in the order you want them to be in, and that has changed over the months, and once they're entered you can't change that order. So what I recommend for words that go together is to use phrases. So the tags could be (note the commas separating the tags).....

banana skin, boat, cows, milking, farm, tree, animals

That "forces" the tags of banana and skin together into one tag, so whatever happens to the order of the tags, those words are always together and a search for just "banana" or just "skin" will also still find your image.

If your tags were in this order.....

boat, cows, milking, farm, tree, animals, banana skin

.....the image will appear in the exact same position on a search for "banana skin" as that phrase being at the start.

I hope that all makes sense!  :)

Geoff.

Oh boy I don't know all that, despite having read the Alamy blog about keywording, as well as numerous other threads about it.  There really isn't enough information for those relatively new to all this unless you are a regular in this forum and manage to catch threads like this. But if one puts keywords into Lightroom before uploading they are automatically put in alphabetical order, or is there maybe there is a way to set a preference not to do that? 

On 25/08/2017 at 13:15, Allan Bell said:

I think if I lived in Nice or on the Fresh Riviera I could spend the rest of my life just taking photos of the area.B)

Allan

I am back from Brittany and ready to upload again ! Lol Allan , "Fresh Riviera" is still "French" Riviera but not so "fresh" those days... :D. We had a so hot and dry summer this year that I look forward to Autumn. But you are right there are ton of things to shoot here and we can choose any subjects (sea, city, mountains, snow, sport or cultural events...) 

4 hours ago, Southmind said:

I am back from Brittany and ready to upload again ! Lol Allan , "Fresh Riviera" is still "French" Riviera but not so "fresh" those days... :D. We had a so hot and dry summer this year that I look forward to Autumn. But you are right there are ton of things to shoot here and we can choose any subjects (sea, city, mountains, snow, sport or cultural events...) 

Thanks for replying.:)

Sorry for that spelling mistake which I missed. Blasted computer spell check strikes again.:angry:

Allan

5 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for replying.:)

Sorry for that spelling mistake which I missed. Blasted computer spell check strikes again.:angry:

Allan

Lol Allan, as you can see (read) , English is not my first language, so don't be sorry for your mistakes, because mine are terrible... fortunately, days after days, tags allow me to learn new words...

1 hour ago, Southmind said:

Lol Allan, as you can see (read) , English is not my first language, so don't be sorry for your mistakes, because mine are terrible... fortunately, days after days, tags allow me to learn new words...

You are doing very well if English is your second language.

I'm afraid, like the majority of people on the British mainland, I am too lazy to learn a new and useful language.:blink:

Allan

Here is a keyword tool that will help break the language barrier.

http://microstockgroup.com/tools/keyword.php

On the first page set your own language. example “French”

“images to load” input “100”

file types “Photos”

Now search terms in the language you have chosen. Example “ecole” if you have chosen “French” for language.

Now click on submit button and get 100 images of “ecole”

click on a small selection of the selection of 100 images that look like your image that you are trying to keyword.

click on “submit” button at the bottom of that page

You will be presented with a selection of possible keywords for “Ecole” in ENGLISH !!!!

click on the english keywords that seem to apply. This is where it may become difficult for you.

For instance if I have a general scene of pupils in a school classroom I click on those images of a classroom that come up, not the images of a school textbook which will also come up.

I get my list of keywords in ENGLISH, with the most relavent at the top, and click on those that apply giving me the following list of english keywords.

school, childhood, education, class, classroom, lesson, learning, schoolchildren, knowledge, classmates, studying, study, children, teacher, pupils, schoolboys, schoolgirls, academic, educational, educate, classmate, students, schoolchild, scholar, wisdom, schoolgirl, school girl, school children, school child

I thank Alamy Forum member Wim for pointing me to this software years ago. I use it English to English all the time.

36 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

file types “Photos”

Now search terms in the language you have chosen. Example “ecole” if you have chosen “French” for language.

click on a small selection of the selection of 100 images that look like your image that you are trying to keyword.

You will be presented with a selection of possible keywords for “Ecole” in ENGLISH !!!!

click on the english keywords that seem to apply. This is where it may become difficult for you.

For instance if I have a general scene of pupils in a school classroom I click on those images of a classroom that come up, not the images of a school textbook which will also come up.

I get my list of keywords in ENGLISH, with the most relavent at the top, and click on those that apply giving me the following list of english keywords.

school, childhood, education, class, classroom, lesson, learning, schoolchildren, knowledge, classmates, studying, study, children, teacher, pupils, schoolboys, schoolgirls, academic, educational, educate, classmate, students, schoolchild, scholar, wisdom, schoolgirl, school girl, school children, school child

I thank Alamy Forum member Wim for pointing me to this software years ago. I use it English to English all the time.

Hey! I like it.:)

Oh NO! Now I will have to go back through my images and re tag (keyword).:wacko:

Allan

50 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hey! I like it.:)

Oh NO! Now I will have to go back through my images and re tag (keyword).:wacko:

Allan

Yes, it's not bad at all for common subjects. It took me a couple of tries before I realized that I had to click on "SUBMIT" in order to get the list of possible keywords.

2 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

file types “Photos”

Many Thanks for the link Bill ! Very useful. I add this link to my tools.

I use this one too : https://www.keyword.io/tool/stock-photo-research 

Interesting because you can add the "mandatory" keywords and the keywords you must not have. 

and this one for synonyms : http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/

Serge

On 05/09/2017 at 07:10, hdh said:

Welcome to the forum! 

I do also use this keywording tool: 

http://www.mykeyworder.com

Thanks hdh . Certainly, I will have  perfect image tags with all these tools ! ;)

The more I use the Alamy keyboarding system in Images Manager, the more I like it.  Its easy to add new tags to one or more image. 

I have another question ... 

When uploading I see the upload route option : Reportage/archive . But this option is disabled for me .

I covered some sport events with ton of images (Ironman 2017, Tour de France a la voile 2017 and 2015, etc...) but I just can upload this stuff as Editorial photos.

Why is the option Reportage/Archive disabled ? 

There is the "live news" option but only for recent  event (< 24h) and it is not so easy to use is the event is longer than one day.

I think reportage/archive is more for historical images or photojournalistic images that may not meet the technical quality necessary for the stock or news collection. Things like war that is not breaking news etc. It is not breaking news or stock.

You have to sign up separately for reportage/archive so that is why it is presently disabled for you.

Contact member services here and they can give you more guidance.

contributors@alamy.com

Some Alamy photographers take along a laptop computer and process and upload news photos almost immediately so they can meet the time deadline. You have to be first online to make sales. Upload even while the event is still on. These news photos, after 48 hours, will then go into the general stock collection. I think either shooting stock, or news that will later become stock, is the better option for you over reportage/archive.

22 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

I think reportage/archive is more for historical images or photojournalistic images that may not meet the technical quality necessary for the stock or news collection. Things like war that is not breaking news etc. It is not breaking news or stock.

You have to sign up separately for reportage/archive so that is why it is presently disabled for you.

Contact member services here and they can give you more guidance.

contributors@alamy.com

Some Alamy photographers take along a laptop computer and process and upload news photos almost immediately so they can meet the time deadline. You have to be first online to make sales. Upload even while the event is still on. These news photos, after 48 hours, will then go into the general stock collection. I think either shooting stock, or news that will later become stock, is the better option for you over reportage/archive.

Thanks Bill, I understand. I am generally slow to produce my photos and more, send 90% direct to trash, but after 5 or 10 coffees I am sure I can process and upload my images in time.:) Thanks again for the explanation. 

Archived