New audio security

I've just encountered the latest Alamy security device, that which requires the user to input a number that is read out by a barely decipherable robotic voice. My PC is not set up for sound, I have to make special provision to hear the message, and, while I acknowledge the need to protect access, this method is VERY INCONVENIENT!   :(

41 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I've just encountered the latest Alamy security device, that which requires the user to input a number that is read out by a barely decipherable robotic voice. My PC is not set up for sound, I have to make special provision to hear the message, and, while I acknowledge the need to protect access, this method is VERY INCONVENIENT!   :(

Oh dear! Thanks for the forewarning, Bryan. I'm not set up for sound either. I prefer to work in peace and quiet. I wonder how many others!!!

Jim :(

OMG I hope not. I have not encountered this, but my hearing is, shall we say, not very good and I very much doubt I would be able to use such a mechanism. And even for those without hearing impairments, how could this realistically be used in any noisy public place, such as on a train or in a coffee bar (I sometimes kill time working on keywords on the train, for example)?

Graham

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

At what point does this appear Bryan?

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

OMG

Allan

8 hours ago, Graham said:

OMG I hope not. I have not encountered this, but my hearing is, shall we say, not very good and I very much doubt I would be able to use such a mechanism. And even for those without hearing impairments, how could this realistically be used in any noisy public place, such as on a train or in a coffee bar (I sometimes kill time working on keywords on the train, for example)?

Graham

Sounds like discrimination against people with disabilities, which is probably against the law.

9 hours ago, Orange Elephant said:

At what point does this appear Bryan?

It appeared this morning when I tried to log into the Forum, happened a couple of times.  Not seen it since ( fingers crossed).....

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

It appeared this morning when I tried to log into the Forum, happened a couple of times.  Not seen it since ( fingers crossed).....

Being a bit pedantic here Bryan but shouldn't that be, "Not HEARD it since.":huh:

Allan

I've had to do that for 2-3 days now. I work in silent mode too--until I turn the knob on the little speaker.

I don't think they're robotic voices. Sounds like they got a few staffers (with various accents and clarity) to recite numbers, and they randomly select from them. I haven't misheard any yet, but it's not always easy.

Had to do that today to sign onto Alamy, and again to sign onto the forum.

I have my sound turned off also.

Big problem....I turn up the sound...but I don't do accents!!! My ears are tuned to Oklahoma drawls.  Used to have a few Brits come through the Ophthalmologist's office where I once worked. I screened the patients, took histories. I couldn't understand a word the Brits said, lol. "Pardon? Excuse me? I'm sorry, say again?"  I doubt they understood me, either.  

Even worse, we had a woman from New York City come work in the office. I couldn't understand her, either. :lol: I think she left because she couldn't understand the rest of us. ;)

Uh-Oh, Paulette.

My husband can understand everyone. Any accent. I'm jealous.

Betty

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have my sound turned off also.

Big problem....I turn up the sound...but I don't do accents!!! My ears are tuned to Oklahoma drawls.  Used to have a few Brits come through the Ophthalmologist's office where I once worked. I screened the patients, took histories. I couldn't understand a word the Brits said, lol. "Pardon? Excuse me? I'm sorry, say again?"  I doubt they understood me, either.  

Even worse, we had a woman from New York City come work in the office. I couldn't understand her, either. :lol: I think she left because she couldn't understand the rest of us. ;)

Uh-Oh, Paulette.

My husband can understand everyone. Any accent. I'm jealous.

Betty

I'm actually a native Californian so I speak sooooo slowly that the the New Yorkers are always interrupting me because they think I have finished if I take the tiniest pause. I have a born in Brooklyn friend who moved to California and she is still a fast talker.

Paulette

On 22/08/2017 at 06:24, Bryan said:

Hi Bryan 

I had that problem, it's awful isn't it? I was on holiday in France and the internet was a bit slow and it didn't accept my password, I think because it took a while to load. I then tried my phone, which up to that point always works and remembers my passwords, no!

Anyhow, after a few attempts the stupid pictures canme up & I still couldn't log in, on both devices, then I actually noticed it said you could hear a number, so I stupidly thought, "that's got to be better than the re-captcha nonsense, boy as I wrong! I out my headphones on, but like the re-capture which never works I couldn't hear the numbers, the robotic voice is dreadful!

Anyhow, I gave up & thought I'd have to wait until I got home, but after checking my e-mails I discovered I had an e-mail asking me to reset my password as I couldn't log in!!! Arghhhhhh!

My advice, don't do it voluntary!

Chris

I prefer it, much easier than clicking loads of squares. Because often it takes  3 or 4 screens before it accepts my clicking on lots of boxes. :angry:

Yes, the sound is soft but it is only 4 numbers and it works every time - so far! And I am totally deaf in one ear.

If we have to have captcha, I repeat IF, then I am ok with this. Glass half full here.:wacko:

Archived