Solar eclipse 2017 pics

John Mitchell

Did anyone get any good shots of today's solar eclipse? If so, how did you photograph it? Special ND filters or ...?

The eclipse is pretty much over here in Vancouver.  Coverage was about 85%, making this one of the best places in Canada for viewing. It didn't get dark, but the light was quite soupy and eerie during the peak (about 10:21 am local time). There was no cloud cover. However, I didn't have any protective eyeglasses and wouldn't know where to begin to photograph astronomical events like this.

39 minutes ago, Chexy said:

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. 21st Aug, 2017. Kids view solar eclipse through home modified glasses, Science Stock Photo

I got this one in Vancouver this morning.

Well done!  Great shot, especially with Science World in the background. I obviously missed the boat. Ah well, only seven years (I think) until the next one...

Those "glasses" the kids are wearing almost look homemade -- like paper pie plates, but I doubt it.

27 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Well done!  Great shot, especially with Science World in the background. I obviously missed the boat. Ah well, only seven years (I think) until the next one...

Those "glasses" the kids are wearing almost look homemade -- like paper pie plates, but I doubt it.

Yes, I think the paper pie plates were added to the glasses to prevent accidental stray viewing. 

13 hours ago, Chexy said:

I got this one in Vancouver this morning.

A tremendous image, very "World's Fair 1956". They're perfectly designed- I wonder if they were made at a workshop?

Should be on the Vault of the Atomic Space Age- look it up on FB.

20 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I saw the eclipse in Cornwall in 1999 - most amazing thing I've ever seen.  No pics then or now, though.

I was in my back garden in Plymouth for that one.  Dull, grey, heavily overcast so missed the actual eclipse but it was eerie the way everything went silent as the totality passed over.

I was right in the middle of the whole thing. 

Well, not exactly the middle. I witnessed it from a table in a small pizzeria around the corner on Grand Street. I took some pictures of course . . . of the pizza, I mean. Outside it did seem to get a touch darker for a minute or two, but maybe that was my imagination. After the pizza was gone, and I mean totally gone, I took the No. 6 Train up to Union Square. 

There were a lot of people in the square looking up at the sun with special cardboard glasses on. I heard those glasses were selling for $25 a pair. There was one kid I noticed who had on these glasses and was sitting looking up at the sun for a very long time, while his mom and dad stood by looking at their cellphone screens. I found this very odd because the ecilpse had lasted only 2 minutes, we didn't get the full effect in NYC. And at that point it had been over for more than an hour. 

This could be a good time to be an eye doctor.

1 hour ago, John Richmond said:

I was in my back garden in Plymouth for that one.  Dull, grey, heavily overcast so missed the actual eclipse but it was eerie the way everything went silent as the totality passed over.

I went to Flambards and saw it clear as day!

I found that people were being very generous about passing the glasses around. It was a good hour that it was possible to see the moon partially blocking the sun. Any change in darkness seemed to only happen when a cloud passed over the sun. I had hoped that the light was going to be distinctly different even though we only got 70% coverage at the maximum. That sun is VERY bright even with that much blockage.

Paulette

7 hours ago, NYCat said:

I found that people were being very generous about passing the glasses around. It was a good hour that it was possible to see the moon partially blocking the sun. Any change in darkness seemed to only happen when a cloud passed over the sun. I had hoped that the light was going to be distinctly different even though we only got 70% coverage at the maximum. That sun is VERY bright even with that much blockage.

Paulette

When I saw the eclipse in 1999, people didn't realise just how dangerous looking at it was - it's lethal!  Myself and the people I was with wore the glasses for the whole time and, yes, it does take away from the experience a little, but we only have one set of eyes!

We were at Penpol, where we could see the fireworks they let off at Falmouth; somewhat cloudy but the most impressive sight was the wave of darkness sweeping across the bay. No photographs because my OH told me there was film in her camera and I believed her!

Oh well, that's it till 2090. Not one for me. 

• 11 months later...

Archived