AIM - Not picking up embedded GPS co-ordinates for location

Hi, I've been adding my images to Lightrooms map but the embedded GPS co-ordinates aren't being used in "Location" in AIM, I still have to manually add them. Has anyone got this to successfully work from Lightroom? I've double checked they are in the exported image files, under "GPS" and Lat, Long, Altitude.

Thanks, 

James

6 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I don't think it ever has.

Anyway, how could it know the name of a place from the GPS?

https://twitter.com/AlamyContent/status/898288336925671424

#AIM top tip: If there's GPS information embedded in the IPTC of an image, this will be imported as a location to the location field in AIM.

For the past few years whenever I remember to add photos to the LR map I have but I've never seen places use it.

I imagine that AIM, which uses Google Maps, can extrapolate the GPS co-ordinates from the file to a location, and then show this as what it thinks is the correct name for the place, if it has one. Or at least that is what should happen. It doesn't really matter if their is no name as such for the location, it should at least just drop the marker pin to the embedded co-ordinates.

All online maps are are co-ordinates and the background software translates that to locations and navigation imagery etc.

57 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Hi, I've been adding my images to Lightrooms map but the embedded GPS co-ordinates aren't being used in "Location" in AIM, I still have to manually add them. Has anyone got this to successfully work from Lightroom? I've double checked they are in the exported image files, under "GPS" and Lat, Long, Altitude.

Thanks, 

James

I tried adding GPS coordinates in Lightroom. AIM picked up GPS data but it was about two miles off. No idea whether this has changed with recent updates.

fD

2 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

I tried adding GPS coordinates in Lightroom. AIM picked up GPS data but it was about two miles off. No idea whether this has changed with recent updates.

fD

Thanks, does it show straight away in "Location"?

31 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

Yes it showed up immediately in AIM's Location field with very specific addresses. Unfortunately they were wrong.

Thanks, I guess I won't rely on it, although it would save time.

I do not think that in-camera GPS is very accurate. It's fine to give a general idea where the picture was taken, but it is not accurate enough  to be useful for automatic inclusion in the map location data. I recently went to Hungary to photograph birds from hides. Every shot from any particular shoot was taken from exactly the same spot in the hide, yet the Lightroom mapping module shows the images apparently scattered over probably several hundred metres!  Same for both my cameras, the Canon 1DXII and 5DIV. I use it only to give me a general idea of where the photo was taken, such as from a moving vehicle such as a train, where otherwise I might not be very sure where I was at the time. 

Graham

On 8/22/2017 at 10:12, Graham said:

I do not think that in-camera GPS is very accurate. It's fine to give a general idea where the picture was taken, but it is not accurate enough  to be useful for automatic inclusion in the map location data. I recently went to Hungary to photograph birds from hides. Every shot from any particular shoot was taken from exactly the same spot in the hide, yet the Lightroom mapping module shows the images apparently scattered over probably several hundred metres!  Same for both my cameras, the Canon 1DXII and 5DIV. I use it only to give me a general idea of where the photo was taken, such as from a moving vehicle such as a train, where otherwise I might not be very sure where I was at the time. 

Graham

I dont have inbuilt GPS on my SLRs, I probably wouldn't use it as they do use a fair amount of battery. Also as you mentioned, they aren't that accurate. If I need to record where I've been then I usually just take a phone camera shot which has GPS in.

Archived