AIM Processing failed

16 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I have one image that keeps failing processing on upload.

I could abandon it but I'd like to know what's wrong with it. It's been through the usual workflow.

Any ideas?

Something with the file format?

My first suspicion:  not saved as jpg baseline, but as one of the two other formats, baseline optimized or progressive.

wim

edit: Martin beat me to it.

edit 2: PSP has the nasty habit of remembering the last setting it has used for saving a JPEG. So if you have saved an image from a website lately, it may have not just the compression level, but also the compression method altered from your default.

5 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Something with the file format?

My first suspicion:  not saved as jpg baseline, but at one of the two other formats, baseline optimized or progressive.

wim

If LR even has a setting for that I'm not aware of it.

It's one of a batch export and all the rest are fine.

Thanks for the thought though, I did once have a QC fail due to finger trouble in the export dialogue.

> PSP has the nasty habit of remembering the last setting it has used for saving a JPEG. So if you have saved an image from a website lately, it may have not just the compression level, but also the compression method altered from your default.

Don't know if Lightroom has the same behaviour.

wim

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

If LR even has a setting for that I'm not aware of it.

It's one of a batch export and all the rest are fine.

File corruption just happens occasionally - computers ain't perfect. Happened to me as recent as a few months ago, hence my suspicion. I have 16-bit master TIFFs, so after a few failed attempts to upload I just re-saved the jpeg and then uploaded - everything fine. Worth a shot.

Batch export likely (speculating) slightly more vulnerable then saving a single file, not to the extent though that one shouldn't do it. 

I tried reupload with a fresh jpeg- same result.

Oddly, the offending file, and that one only,  has slightly different exif data- it lacks filename and the reference to LR, camera model, and a bit of other stuff. Will investigate.

13 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Never been near PS, but images in the same batch which had were OK. I very rarely use PS, let alone layers.

Puzzling - original dng/raw corrupted and carries over (I'm reaching now)? Tried to use manual export? Tried running it through the Alamy Size checker? 

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Nothing specila about this file. Manual export? Just the usual export dialogue from LR.

Off out now, downsized to the minimum but will try one a bit bigger.

Thanks all, more suggestions welcome!

Right click, export, export, then manually choosing (instead of you preset batch export) the settings and make sure everything is ok.

Do you use  any special local Swedish characters in Exif, XMP or IPTC tags?

Hence any any of "Å, å, Ä, ä, or Ö, ö" and only in the failed file? 

I have seen German special characters fail at other  times but not with Alamy(yet). 

AIM even allows me to enter russian search tags via the front end. 

If you also use that special character  in the other (accepted) files, it should not be an issue. 

5 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I did warn you about that sort of thing....:D

I was very respectful to the angels...

Thanks for the tips, btw. I'll not break your Doom monopoly but I may put up one of the church itself.

OT, to return the favour, if you didn't know already, the Crown in Leiston has the best GK IPA ever.

21 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Nah, don't be daft. Put your pics on Alamy - fair competition and all. If one sells you can buy me a pint of Greene King:D

Never been to the Crown so thanks for the tip.

Good of you. Yours are better- you got some lovely patches of, I assume morning, light on it. It was scorching the bats off the belfry when we got there.

Maybe next upload.

That pint will be at the Crown where it's only £3.

17 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Went to a church today and just couldn't get any decent pics. My subject was in such darkness and sky overcast but still couldn't get a clear shot without light halos appearing from windows to the sides. 

Anyway, now that you're getting the pints in I have officially released the magic spell blocking your uploads of Suffolk pics to AIM :D

I think the ones by Heritage Image Partnership Ltd  are better than mine. Will have to go back!

Being a hat wearer I can often block off flare with it- you'd need a lens hood the size of a dustbin to do the same- or you could try a French flag if you carry some black cards. Or you could do a lot with that turban.

I've cranked up the saturation on mine- probably more what they looked like originally.

Anyway I need a few replacements after losing all that street art.

Archived