Elvis Candlelight Vigil

culleyphoto

As news, I thought I'd have made a small sale.  I shot the candlelight vigil for Elvis.  The 40th anniversary of his death but no obvious activity.  Might there be that something I did wrong in working the submission?  There are fans with tributes along the sidewalk in front of his home, Graceland.  If you can take a minute, have a look at Live News on 15th August and search for Elvis.  What might I do better to get noticed? 

While Alamy Live News sells reasonably well to UK publications, I'm not sure that that's quite so much the case for US publications who might first look to US based agencies for their news pictures. The Elvis anniversary has produced a fair amount of coverage in the UK but I don't think there will be a tremendous amount of interest in this specific event in the UK press.  You never know though. I don't think there is much more you can do other than make the images available. You might try contacting the news desk of some of your local press direct and tell them the pictures are available. However, if this was in the UK they would almost certainly tell you that they had no budget and, anyway, they already had the pictures they needed already (for free) though social media.  Big sigh and mournful face.:(

Wasn't it at Graceland

How many people did attend?

Why was this different than last year's vigil?

Isn't a candlelight vigil at night?

Wasn't there a row about the wrist bands or the high price of tickets?

Have a good look at images that have been used in the media. (Like  with Google News.)

wim

12 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Wasn't it at Graceland

How many people did attend?

Why was this different than last year's vigil?

Isn't a candlelight vigil at night?

Wasn't there a row about the wrist bands or the high price of tickets?

Have a good look at images that have been used in the media. (Like  with Google News.)

wim

Some good points there wim - key lesson - News is not Stock

One of the obvious problems with shooting news in the US for Alamy is that we're at least 5 hours behind. Newspapers tend to make their editorial decisions in the late afternoon so unless you can upload well before noon (EST)  or you have breaking news with international interest, the chances they'll make space is pretty slim. It's possible they could run it the following day but when you consider everything that's been going on in the world over the past few days it seems unlikely.

You all are great.  Thank you.  BTW  The Vigil happens on the evening of the 15th and Elvis died on the 16th.  Maybe a help for time difference from me to UK and Europe.  I was told to shoot the earlier set-up and upload some of that then go back for the night shots and glowing candles and such and upload those later.  I had to leave earlier than planned.  Hearing that and other things from you, wim, make me copy your notes to a how-to on shooting like this.  Very good suggestions.  I get a feeling that for an agency to succeed it must be worldwide in its audience.  I see things regularly that shows Alamys strength is in UK and maybe very few non-UK editors are looking.  Do you agree or disagree?  Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 14:05, culleyphoto said:

You all are great.  Thank you.  BTW  The Vigil happens on the evening of the 15th and Elvis died on the 16th.  Maybe a help for time difference from me to UK and Europe.  I was told to shoot the earlier set-up and upload some of that then go back for the night shots and glowing candles and such and upload those later.  I had to leave earlier than planned.  Hearing that and other things from you, wim, make me copy your notes to a how-to on shooting like this.  Very good suggestions.  I get a feeling that for an agency to succeed it must be worldwide in its audience.  I see things regularly that shows Alamys strength is in UK and maybe very few non-UK editors are looking.  Do you agree or disagree?  Thanks again

I agree with you. After years, I've had only two of my images licensed by an U.K. newspaper. And the last one looked English!! :D

Archived