Gone Soft Again According To Alamy

I think everyone is throwing excellent advice against the wall and nothing is sticking. In these cases, help is asked but then discounted, for whatever reason. 

Forum friends, let's not waste our cumulative breaths, although I offered no advice.  You all have it covered. 

Time to move on and let the failures continue.  Sorry if I sound harsh, because I'm one who loves to help. But I can see a no-win situation when it slaps me in the face, and that's exactly what I've gleaned from this thread.

There are some very good people here, offering great advice, who have spent time they could have been working on their own images. 

When I joined Alamy, the forum was distinctly unfriendly to newbies. I was afraid to ask questions.

Oh, what I would have given to have been offered what you have been offered. I was so hungry for it.

Betty

If open minded, there is a lot to learn from the forum. 

as for myself,

• JPG vs. RAW - learned that here .... still the hard way, as it took me quite some time to admit its supremacy
  • Calibrating the screens - same thing, I would not want to work without that anymore, but it only became apparent when I started using raw and have a need to see the final result correctly. 
  • and many things more

Probably already have now deleted a quarter of images I uploaded to start with and of the remaining there is a huge chunk I would like to reprocess. 

OP, I hope you  do take note. I see that it took you quite a while to start submitting after you joined and I don't know whether that was down to a string of failures or just because you weren't uploading regularly.

Still, you have been submitting for 5 years, but mostly news, so you need the discipline of regularly getting through QC.

12 hours ago, hdh said:

If open minded, there is a lot to learn from the forum. 

as for myself,

• JPG vs. RAW - learned that here .... still the hard way, as it took me quite some time to admit its supremacy
  • Calibrating the screens - same thing, I would not want to work without that anymore, but it only became apparent when I started using raw and have a need to see the final result correctly. 
  • and many things more

Probably already have now deleted a quarter of images I uploaded to start with and of the remaining there is a huge chunk I would like to reprocess. 

+1

You can do that. Reprocess them, upload, notify member services and I believe they can work their magic. I have not done it, but I believe I've seen it mentioned. Not sure of the exact steps, but maybe someone who knows will chime in.

You're an example that makes forum advice worthwhile.

Betty

Reprocess, submit to QC, then ask MS to replace, say, Alamy reference ABC123 with XYZ789.

But remember to include the old reference number in the keywords of the new image. Then if a client has made a note of the old number they can still find the new version.

13 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Reprocess, submit to QC, then ask MS to replace, say, Alamy reference ABC123 with XYZ789.

But remember to include the old reference number in the keywords of the new image. Then if a client has made a note of the old number they can still find the new version.

Thanks for helping! I knew somebody would know.

16 hours ago, spacecadet said:

OP, I hope you  do take note. I see that it took you quite a while to start submitting after you joined and I don't know whether that was down to a string of failures or just because you weren't uploading regularly.

Still, you have been submitting for 5 years, but mostly news, so you need the discipline of regularly getting through QC.

I had very few failures for the first 3 or 4 years, then suddenly in the last year failures kept cropping up. I am now more critical before submitting but to no avail. You don't feel like submitting when you get so many bans and the return for your efforts is minimal.

On 8/25/2017 at 22:26, Betty LaRue said:

Thanks for helping! I knew somebody would know.

On 8/25/2017 at 22:11, spacecadet said:

thanks both! This is very good to know! 

I lack the time currently as I am processing 2016 and 2017 pictures first. 

After that I will do a thin out again, specially where I have more than 2/3 pics of the same subject. 

Maybe when finished I go and revisit the processing of the old(er) pictures. 

They were all the out of camera JPG, in cases slightly cropped. 

I did shoot them in RAW + JPG, so would be able to process them with my current queue ... As soon as time permits 

Archived