Scans of old photos

Hellonearth

I have some scans of old photos some of which I believe may be saleable. I am just a little worried however about them being rejected by QC because obviously the quality is not up to the standard of today's digital photos. Does anyone have any experience of loading these type of photos? I would be grateful for any pointers on what is acceptable QC wise and what is not. e.g. Some scans have creases and scratches which I can doctor using PS but how far do I have to go? Thanks in advance

Kevin

Scan them or photograph them and upload to someplace like flickr.  Then apply through your My Alamy page/ additional revenue options and provide a link to the images on flickr.  I just went through the process and it took about a week to get approval.  Once you get approval if you use FTP upload route a folder labeled archive will appear as an option.  Alamy reserves the right to delete any image deemed unacceptable.  There is no QC process so if you caption and keyword before upload they go on sale immediately when the server updates.  Click on my images link and you can see the quality of the photos I am uploading.  Hopefully the quality will be acceptable.  I am spending the time to retouch the obvious flaws out in photo shop, but I have seen others on Alamy with tears and scratches left in.  Mine were shot by an amateur woman photographer in 1907 1908. 

I would say that 75% of the images I have on Alamy are 35mm chromes scanned, using a Canon FS4000.  I do not use

the auto retouching during scanning and I have never had a QC fail.  It is a lot of work doing the scanning and I clean

all chromes with PEC-12 before scanning.  It simple, but takes a lot of time to finish images.

The archive route still exists. As has been pointed out above, you need to let Alamy see some of your work and they will give you access if they feel it appropriate.

Images uploaded by this route come with a health warning to the customer "This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage."  So, if your scans are good enough it could be wise to use the standard method. 

I have generally uploaded scans from 2.25 inch square negs as standard, but for  my 1970s 35 mm stuff, I used the archive route.

Like Chuck, I never use the scanner software to remove dust bunnies, as it definitely damages the image. My scanner is a flatbed Epson Perfection 4990 Photo.

Archived