christian58

Discoverabillity of images!

christian58    71

I keep filling in everything in the image in the Alamy editing and yet the orange line sying for sale. Why dont it turn green?  am I doing something wrong?

arterra    3,756

You didn't forget the second page (number of persons / releases / location / etc.....)?

Cheers,

Philippe

christian58    71
15 minutes ago, arterra said:

You didn't forget the second page (number of persons / releases / location / etc.....)?

Cheers,

Philippe

Hi Philippe!  no I didnt!  every single bit is filled in and yet as far as discovering its just an orange line??  might be a glitch I suppose?

cheers!

5 minutes ago, christian58 said:

Hi Philippe!  no I didnt!  every single bit is filled in and yet as far as discovering its just an orange line??  might be a glitch I suppose?

cheers!

I think to go green you need a minimum of 40 keywords (maximum 50 ) and 5 of those as supertags (maximum 10). However, "discoverability" means nothing in terms of search placement etc. - so nothing to really to worry about.

christian58    71
23 minutes ago, Martin Carlsson said:

I think to go green you need a minimum of 40 keywords (maximum 50 ) and 5 of those as supertags (maximum 10). However, "discoverability" means nothing in terms of search placement etc. - so nothing to really to worry about.

Thanks Martin!  Ok I get it, so really the colour of that line means very little. Ok fine.

cheers mate!

Just now, christian58 said:

Thanks Martin!  Ok I get it, so really the colour of that line means very little. Ok fine.

cheers mate!

Yes as long as you have filled out enough to get it "on sale", then as usual only worry about relevant keywords and choose a few that you want to give an extra boost. 95% of mine are orange.

Betty LaRue    1,052

While a lot of my images don't get in the green because of a simple subject, as I work slowly on my legacy images, I find a few that are almost ready to go green. Most of these I have used, Oklahoma,US,USA,United States, in my keywords.

After a thread here a few months ago, it was discussed using every possible tag for my country. I've been trying to add U.S.,U.S.A.,North America to those legacy images. No spamming, but often they do get me in the green.

I doubt being in the green does anything in and of itself, but does serve the purpose to make me think whether I am missing good appropriate tags. I often find I missed adding semi-important ones, and the use of phrases. So if discoverability is worth anything, it has gotten me to use it in the way I believe Alamy meant it to be used.  By putting on my thinking cap and checking that I've not missed adding important tags and phrases. 

Many times, after those "thinking cap" additions, I'm still not in the green and that's perfectly fine. But I have covered the image tags to the best of my ability, and that, to me, is what's important.

Betty

• Upvote 1

On 12/08/2017 at 13:43, arterra said:

Cheers,

Philippe

If you are worried about going green, then the second page ( optional tab) is worth filling in. Some of mine have gone green after completing it.

Sally    23
23 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

While a lot of my images don't get in the green because of a simple subject, as I work slowly on my legacy images, I find a few that are almost ready to go green. Most of these I have used, Oklahoma,US,USA,United States, in my keywords.

After a thread here a few months ago, it was discussed using every possible tag for my country. I've been trying to add U.S.,U.S.A.,North America to those legacy images. No spamming, but often they do get me in the green.

I doubt being in the green does anything in and of itself, but does serve the purpose to make me think whether I am missing good appropriate tags. I often find I missed adding semi-important ones, and the use of phrases. So if discoverability is worth anything, it has gotten me to use it in the way I believe Alamy meant it to be used.  By putting on my thinking cap and checking that I've not missed adding important tags and phrases. 

Many times, after those "thinking cap" additions, I'm still not in the green and that's perfectly fine. But I have covered the image tags to the best of my ability, and that, to me, is what's important.

Betty

The important thing, I find, is to look at the searches for your images and pick up on any terms that haven't been applied to photos you know ought to have been included.  I have added quite a few missed search terms as a result.

• Upvote 1

Betty LaRue    1,052
3 hours ago, Sally said:

The important thing, I find, is to look at the searches for your images and pick up on any terms that haven't been applied to photos you know ought to have been included.  I have added quite a few missed search terms as a result.

Great idea, Sally!

Sally    23
8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Great idea, Sally!

Thing I find annoying is when you miss out variations of words eg

birdwatcher, bird watcher

sign post, signpost

lamp post, lamppost et etc

Edited by Sally

GS-Images    1,182
Just now, Sally said:

Thing I find annoying are when you miss out variations of words eg

sign post, signpost

I often miss out some of the obvious ones. It really pays to go back though images another day and add any you missed. Yesterday I looked at some of my lifeguard photos and realised I hadn't used "UK" in any of the tags, so I spent the next hour adding "lifeguards UK", "lifeguard UK", etc., and a few others I thought of.

Last week I looked at one of my images, the subject which I cannot remember now, but the most obvious descriptive tag was not there. As I forget which it was, let's say for example it was an image of a dancer. I missed out "dancer". I had lots of other "clever" tags, but not what it actually was.  :lol:

Geoff.

Sally    23
14 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I often miss out some of the obvious ones. It really pays to go back though images another day and add any you missed. Yesterday I looked at some of my lifeguard photos and realised I hadn't used "UK" in any of the tags, so I spent the next hour adding "lifeguards UK", "lifeguard UK", etc., and a few others I thought of.

Last week I looked at one of my images, the subject which I cannot remember now, but the most obvious descriptive tag was not there. As I forget which it was, let's say for example it was an image of a dancer. I missed out "dancer". I had lots of other "clever" tags, but not what it actually was.  :lol:

Geoff.

Yep, it's an endless task ;)

Betty LaRue    1,052
8 hours ago, Sally said:

Thing I find annoying is when you miss out variations of words eg

sign post, signpost

I do a fair job at that, but I'm sure I miss some. Especially on my older images. Arggh, thinking about revisiting them wears me out!

Betty LaRue    1,052
8 hours ago, GS-Images said:

Geoff.

That's because your mind is on concepts, Geoff! :D

geogphotos    194

I can't imagine that many contributors have the time or inclination to go through all this palaver. This would be the third or fourth time that the work has had to be redone. 

I really like it that images sent with metadata go straight on sale after QC, but don't generally bother with super-tags or the optional page ( unless I have MR). 

Edited by geogphotos

GS-Images    1,182
22 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

That's because your mind is on concepts, Geoff! :D

You're probably right.  :)   It always used to be on the facts and I didn't even think about concepts - But now it's the other way around! I'm trying to find a happy medium.  :)

Geoff.

Betty LaRue    1,052
33 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I can't imagine that many contributors have the time or inclination to go through all this palaver. This would be the third or fourth time that the work has had to be redone. 

I hope not!  It gives those of us with smallish ports and who do the work a leg up in searches.

• Upvote 1

arterra    3,756
3 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I hope not!  It gives those of us with smallish ports and who do the work a leg up in searches.

:(

Cheers,

Philippe

Betty LaRue    1,052
5 minutes ago, arterra said:

:(

Cheers,

Philippe

Philippe, you do all the work in the beginning, not like some of us who sometimes draw blanks at the time.  ^_^

arterra    3,756
7 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Philippe, you do all the work in the beginning, not like some of us who sometimes draw blanks at the time.  ^_^

Nah, work from the very beginning could be improved (a lot). But it's too time consuming. I only have two hands and prefer to upload new work. 

Cheers,

Philippe

geogphotos    194

Even if I had the time doesn't it hit CTR and AlamyRank to have too many keywords/tags?

I really can't imagine the agencies allocating precious staff time to this.

And if anything I already spend too much time on the computer working on images ( please provide expected response about forum presence)

geogphotos    194
2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

But does it? Doesn't adding enough keywords to make the image go Green mean that CTR is going to be hit?

Edited by geogphotos

regen    78

Spot on Geogphotos- 

All my files remain resolutely orange. I have never been back and altered or added  a single keyword since uploading and totally ignored the various changes suggested/requested by Alamy over the years. Strangely my zooms and CTR have continued to rise along with the volume of sales but spending time on old files is a mugs game when total income continues to fall. I don't like computer work and could earn more per hour stacking shelves in Tescos! It is also getting on for 3 years since I uploaded any new files because it is simply no longer profitable.

Regen