Ecofriendly stock photography !?

Timely question. I like it.

Fly less and walk more. Take public transport as much as possible. Leave the gas-guzzling Bentley at home in the garage. B)

Don't unnecessarily destroy plants and creatures in order to get the picture. Stay out of ecologically sensitive areas (i.e. obey the signs). 

Lots more suggestions, I'm sure...

10 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Timely question. I like it.

Fly less and walk more. Take public transport as much as possible. Leave the gas-guzzling Bentley at home in the garage. B)

Don't unnecessarily destroy plants and creatures in order to get the picture. Stay out of ecologically sensitive areas (i.e. obey the signs). 

Lots more suggestions, I'm sure...

Cameras and lenses made from organic material.

Allan

Many nature photographers devote a lot of work to promoting eco-friendly causes. SeaLegacy https://www.sealegacy.org was begun by Paul Nicklen and Cristina Mittermeier  https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-national-geographic-photographer-opens-soho-gallery-inspire-gen-eco-warriors

Paulette Sinclair

2 minutes ago, Russell Watkins said:

The main reason I gave up film photography was because of the animal cruelty inherent in film's manufacture and processing. 

Yes, digital is a big improvement in a lot of ways -- no gelatin, no poisonous chemicals down the drain, less paper use, etc.

Why travel at all? There are plenty of local photographers, pretty well everywhere, who can do the job and sell globally now it is all online. There must be others, like KM, all around the world who cover their own small patch comprehensively and effectively. I believe KM uses a push bike to get around Aberystwyth, when he is not on foot.

32 minutes ago, Russell Watkins said:

The main reason I gave up film photography was because of the animal welfare issues inherent in film's manufacture and processing. 

Digital photography is considerably more eco-friendly than traditional film based photography but there's still the issue of computers and components. Best thing to do is recycle or donate your old equipment, use energy saving computer equipment, possibly turn off your computer at night, avoid disposable batteries. Of course if you can share your computer and internet that probably reduces your carbon footprint as well.

Beyond that it's pretty much the same as what we do in other aspects of our lives, use mass transit whenever possible, avoid excessive packaging, get some re-usable shopping bags, recycle paper, plastic, metal and other electronics. Use energy saving light bulbs and recycle those properly too. New York is beginning a City-Wide composting project but if you have room you can do that on your own. Oh and if you have air conditioning keep it above 78º f.

As the saying goes, think globally act locally.

fD

43 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

Oh and if you have air conditioning keep it above 78º f.

Mwahaha: I'd need to have my central heating on for almost all of the year to get anywhere near 78F. Here we are in August, I'm wearing a tee and sweater, and I'm just thinking about going to get a thick cardi.

2 hours ago, arterra said:

Sure it's possible. Travel like one of Arterra's photographers, Marica van der Meer.

Marica traveled through the -stan countries, Australia, China, Iceland, and lots more on her .............................. bike :)

ED110N.jpg   BGM840.jpg   ECEHK7.jpg   EEP5X1.jpg

or travel by sailing ship

Gentoo Penguins (Pygoscelis papua) and the tallship Europa, a three-masted barque, at Port Charcot, Wilhelm Archipel, Antarctica - Stock Image   Sailing ship with man on bowsprit looking into the Lemaire Channel / Kodak Gap, Antarctica - Stock Image   Tourists working on board of the Oosterschelde, three-masted schooner sailing the Atlantic Ocean near Cape Verde / Cabo Verde - Stock Image

Cheers,

Philippe

Photography Prints
 Fine Art Collection Arterra

Eco-friendly travel will probably get you much more interesting photos.

fD

9 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Mwahaha: I'd need to have my central heating on for almost all of the year to get anywhere near 78F. Here were are in August, I'm wearing a tee and sweater, and I'm just thinking about going to get a thick cardi.

I lived for years without air conditioning but one day when it hit 107f, and I nearly passed out at the computer, I finally decided to give in... but I waited a day until it was "only" 103. 

iMacs, for example, are only intended to operate between 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

31 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

I lived for years without air conditioning but one day when it hit 107f, and I nearly passed out at the computer, I finally decided to give in... but I waited a day until it was "only" 103. 

iMacs, for example, are only intended to operate between 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

For sure I don't like heat and can't sleep at all above 10C (I sleep all year with the window usually open and a 1 tog duvet.)

13 hours ago, funkyworm said:

You both beat me to it. Other improvements, LED lamps, reusable batteries. It would be good if manufacturers would create cradle to cradle products without inherent in built obscolecence, one of my pet peeves.

It is an area which I am aware that I can be easily accused of hypocricy. I do compensate my flights, I think last couple of times with greenseat, but not polluting in the first place is no doubt better. My next big trip planned will be by cheese sandwich powered pedal energy. We can help in our own purchasing. On my last trip I made a point of staying in locally owned family hotels... and in my reviews complimented the ones which had an open access water cooler in the reception for the guests, and made the suggestion that those which didn't should. (= less plastics.) Also realising why a product is cheap/disposable... someone pays for that cheap... probably us when we have to replace the product ina few months time.

As an aside... this is all subject matter.

The yachtswoman Ellen Macarthur is a proponent of the circular economy where things are designed for upgrade or reuse rather than disposal or traditionally ineffiicient recycling.

13 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Mwahaha: I'd need to have my central heating on for almost all of the year to get anywhere near 78F. Here we are in August, I'm wearing a tee and sweater, and I'm just thinking about going to get a thick cardi.

19 degrees c today. Taps aff. ;)

I was fortunate in living adjacent to an ex railway cycle path that I used to get to work ( 16 mile round trip). Saved the cost of a second car, and kept me fit.  I still use the bike to get around, and in conjunction with photography.  Being an aged citizen I also make maximum use of my bus pass, so most local trips are by bike or bus. 

Most of my sales are of local subjects, weirdly they are either within a 20 mile radius of home,  or from the US of A (visiting my elder son and his family, who were car less in NYC). Air miles, not good, but no alternative if you want to keep in touch!

Our younger son is also a city dweller without a car; they both drive, and hire if necessary, but make maximum use of public transport and walking. 

I get the impression that the private car is possibly reaching the end of its dominance, certainly in this small island, and in particular in the cities. The reaction against pollution, and the dangers and dominance of road traffic are turning people against. I remember growing up in a village (1950s) where I was free to roam, while today's kids aren't allowed out because the roads are too dangerous. We used to play football in the road outside the house, hardly anyone had a car, and you know what, we were happy.

Archived