ernest

Ecofriendly stock photography !?

Recommended Posts

Stock photography and environmentalism, is it really incompatible ? Or may be there is a possible way to behave as an ecofriendly stock photographer ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Timely question. I like it.

 

Fly less and walk more. Take public transport as much as possible. Leave the gas-guzzling Bentley at home in the garage. B)

 

Don't unnecessarily destroy plants and creatures in order to get the picture. Stay out of ecologically sensitive areas (i.e. obey the signs). 

 

Lots more suggestions, I'm sure...

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Timely question. I like it.

 

Fly less and walk more. Take public transport as much as possible. Leave the gas-guzzling Bentley at home in the garage. B)

 

Don't unnecessarily destroy plants and creatures in order to get the picture. Stay out of ecologically sensitive areas (i.e. obey the signs). 

 

Lots more suggestions, I'm sure...

 

 

 

Cameras and lenses made from organic material.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many nature photographers devote a lot of work to promoting eco-friendly causes. SeaLegacy https://www.sealegacy.org was begun by Paul Nicklen and Cristina Mittermeier  https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-national-geographic-photographer-opens-soho-gallery-inspire-gen-eco-warriors

 

Paulette Sinclair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

The main reason I gave up film photography was because of the animal welfare issues inherent in film's manufacture and processing. 

 

 

Edited by Russell Watkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Russell Watkins said:

 

The main reason I gave up film photography was because of the animal cruelty inherent in film's manufacture and processing. 

 

 

 

Yes, digital is a big improvement in a lot of ways -- no gelatin, no poisonous chemicals down the drain, less paper use, etc.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why travel at all? There are plenty of local photographers, pretty well everywhere, who can do the job and sell globally now it is all online. There must be others, like KM, all around the world who cover their own small patch comprehensively and effectively. I believe KM uses a push bike to get around Aberystwyth, when he is not on foot.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Yes, digital is a big improvement in a lot of ways -- no gelatin, no poisonous chemicals down the drain, less paper use, etc.

 

You both beat me to it. Other improvements, LED lamps, reusable batteries. It would be good if manufacturers would create cradle to cradle products without inherent in built obscolecence, one of my pet peeves.

It is an area which I am aware that I can be easily accused of hypocricy. I do compensate my flights, I think last couple of times with greenseat, but not polluting in the first place is no doubt better. My next big trip planned will be by cheese sandwich powered pedal energy. We can help in our own purchasing. On my last trip I made a point of staying in locally owned family hotels... and in my reviews complimented the ones which had an open access water cooler in the reception for the guests, and made the suggestion that those which didn't should. (= less plastics.) Also realising why a product is cheap/disposable... someone pays for that cheap... probably us when we have to replace the product ina few months time.

 

As an aside... this is all subject matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Beat me to it, Martin - I was just about to mention KM and his bike. We could all learn a lesson there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Russell Watkins said:

 

The main reason I gave up film photography was because of the animal welfare issues inherent in film's manufacture and processing. 

 

 

 

Digital photography is considerably more eco-friendly than traditional film based photography but there's still the issue of computers and components. Best thing to do is recycle or donate your old equipment, use energy saving computer equipment, possibly turn off your computer at night, avoid disposable batteries. Of course if you can share your computer and internet that probably reduces your carbon footprint as well.

 

Beyond that it's pretty much the same as what we do in other aspects of our lives, use mass transit whenever possible, avoid excessive packaging, get some re-usable shopping bags, recycle paper, plastic, metal and other electronics. Use energy saving light bulbs and recycle those properly too. New York is beginning a City-Wide composting project but if you have room you can do that on your own. Oh and if you have air conditioning keep it above 78º f.

 

As the saying goes, think globally act locally.

 

fD

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

Oh and if you have air conditioning keep it above 78º f.

Mwahaha: I'd need to have my central heating on for almost all of the year to get anywhere near 78F. Here we are in August, I'm wearing a tee and sweater, and I'm just thinking about going to get a thick cardi.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arterra said:

 

Sure it's possible. Travel like one of Arterra's photographers, Marica van der Meer.

Marica traveled through the -stan countries, Australia, China, Iceland, and lots more on her .............................. bike :)

 

ED110N.jpg   BGM840.jpg   ECEHK7.jpg   EEP5X1.jpg

 

or travel by sailing ship

 

Gentoo Penguins (Pygoscelis papua) and the tallship Europa, a three-masted barque, at Port Charcot, Wilhelm Archipel, Antarctica - Stock Image   Sailing ship with man on bowsprit looking into the Lemaire Channel / Kodak Gap, Antarctica - Stock Image   Tourists working on board of the Oosterschelde, three-masted schooner sailing the Atlantic Ocean near Cape Verde / Cabo Verde - Stock Image

 

Cheers,

Philippe

Photography Prints
 Fine Art Collection Arterra

 

Eco-friendly travel will probably get you much more interesting photos.

 

fD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Mwahaha: I'd need to have my central heating on for almost all of the year to get anywhere near 78F. Here were are in August, I'm wearing a tee and sweater, and I'm just thinking about going to get a thick cardi.

 

I lived for years without air conditioning but one day when it hit 107f, and I nearly passed out at the computer, I finally decided to give in... but I waited a day until it was "only" 103. 

iMacs, for example, are only intended to operate between 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

Edited by fotoDogue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

 

I lived for years without air conditioning but one day when it hit 107f, and I nearly passed out at the computer, I finally decided to give in... but I waited a day until it was "only" 103. 

iMacs, for example, are only intended to operate between 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

For sure I don't like heat and can't sleep at all above 10C (I sleep all year with the window usually open and a 1 tog duvet.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I travel a lot by bike...here's my baby overlooking Lake Como, Italy

 

bike-e1497161621770.jpg?w=1140&h=641

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am in something that supports certain environments (what is left of them). A group of nature togs who give away usage of their photos to organizations that are working in conservation......

 

Thailand Wildlife Collective

Edited by Panthera tigris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I just travelled by bike I would end up with more cow images than Geoff. Might be able to add the odd horse or goat.

 

Jill

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have two large boxes with various cables for my hard drives, battery chargers and for god knows what.

Edited by vpics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, funkyworm said:

 

You both beat me to it. Other improvements, LED lamps, reusable batteries. It would be good if manufacturers would create cradle to cradle products without inherent in built obscolecence, one of my pet peeves.

It is an area which I am aware that I can be easily accused of hypocricy. I do compensate my flights, I think last couple of times with greenseat, but not polluting in the first place is no doubt better. My next big trip planned will be by cheese sandwich powered pedal energy. We can help in our own purchasing. On my last trip I made a point of staying in locally owned family hotels... and in my reviews complimented the ones which had an open access water cooler in the reception for the guests, and made the suggestion that those which didn't should. (= less plastics.) Also realising why a product is cheap/disposable... someone pays for that cheap... probably us when we have to replace the product ina few months time.

 

As an aside... this is all subject matter.

 The yachtswoman Ellen Macarthur is a proponent of the circular economy where things are designed for upgrade or reuse rather than disposal or traditionally ineffiicient recycling.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Other business students from the late 80's early 90's may remember the book "In search of excellence" by Peters and Waterman in which companies who excelled were analysed as to why they excelled. Many of the same companies appeared in a book "The Green Capitalists" (Elkington and Burke) from around the same time which showed that lots of the same companies had eco -friendly policies. Not (just) out of goat-wool-sock-brigade ideology, but out of financial common sense. For example 3M had a 3P policy, pollution prevention pays. Put simply pollution costs. Sometimes short term, often long term.

On a personal macro level... not creating pollution can liberate. I grew up without a car so never had the idea that it was a necessary part of my life that many have. I haven't driven since 2000. My friends who think they need one (a regular point of contention) have to have a job which earns 3-4 grand more than me a year because they think they need the car. They need the job to pay for the car and they need the car to have the job which pays for the car. (Having said which, I do realise they have their uses.) The same goes for energy consumption... if you generate your own, you are not slave to the energy bill and you dont have to earn as much. I'd encourage everyone here to have an allotment or grow their own food in the back garden, even on your balcony. Out of purely selfish motives. Financially my allotment it saves a bit, especially on fruits I wouldn;t normally buy, but the food is just sooooo much better. It may be the Ikea effect, but wow! Spuds which taste like spuds should taste.

The frustrating thing with these discussions is that they are not new, the book I mention is from 1989, and that despite the words of our elected leaders and many of the companies I have mentioned... not much really changes.

 

Edited by funkyworm
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Mwahaha: I'd need to have my central heating on for almost all of the year to get anywhere near 78F. Here we are in August, I'm wearing a tee and sweater, and I'm just thinking about going to get a thick cardi.

 

19 degrees c today. Taps aff. ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Keith seems to make a fortune within walking distance of his front door - not much of a carbon footprint there.

Edited by Phil Robinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now