GS-Images

AIM issues - An update please

GS-Images    1,182

There are many threads here about various problems with AIM, and suggestions for making life easier. I have seen a few changes here and there that are all appreciated, but there are still big problems that have been there since AIM was introduced that make everything so much more painful than it needs to be. Overall I like the new Image Manager, but it needs quite a bit of tweaking to make it easier to work with.

One of the biggest problems for me personally is the fact we cannot delete more than one tag in one go. Some things would be simpler changes, such as changing the grey on tags where more than one image is selected, not having any field get focus on every page reload (so we can use mobile devices easier without the keyboard always popping up), not having tags entered automatically when pasting text, etc.. All these things and more have been mentioned many times over the past 8 months or so.

I still have a lot of older images to go through but it's so time-consuming that I often leave it. I know several contributors don't plan on going back over old ones at all, but with my smallish portfolio I really need to change quite a lot to give myself any chance of those images being found with all the search engine changes. Pressing the cross hundreds of times for each individual image (due to often needed several clicks before I hit the cross on 50 tags!) is a huge waste of time, not to mention causing wrist pain!  :)

Does Alamy have any plans to make the suggested changes to AIM in the near future please? I have seen that some things have improved, which is good to see, but it would be really nice if Alamy would share more with us regarding future planned updates, what's being considered or not, etc.. Nobody is asking for confidential information or any details that we don't want competitors knowing. Just an idea of things to come would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening,

Geoff.

• Upvote 4

Stokie    321

"not having tags entered automatically when pasting text" I agree with!

Some sort of feature whereby when the 'exceeded 50 tags' message is received the new tags are only added to those images that haven't reached 50 tags.

To be able to copy and edit tags.

To be able to search for our own image ref numbers (although I believe this has been addressed?)

John.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Stokie said:

"not having tags entered automatically when pasting text" I agree with!

Some sort of feature whereby when the 'exceeded 50 tags' message is received the new tags are only added to those images that haven't reached 50 tags.

To be able to copy and edit tags.

To be able to search for our own image ref numbers (although I believe this has been addressed?)

John.

Yes, you can now search your own filenames.

Personally my file naming is chronological in nature, but my editing and submissions aren't - would be so great to be able to organise them that way in AIM.

Official Alamy LR plugin (a la Photoshelter) would be fantastic, but that surely is asking for too much! (Gave up on the JK plugin due to stability issues).

geogphotos    194

Being able to order images by my own image ref.

A system that alerts if duplicates are submitted

Cut and paste doesn't seem to work for me

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 1

wiskerke    1,841

Do away with tags all together. Return to plain text for the desktop.

Build a real phone/tablet app and build a real desktop tool.

This one is neither. But it's easy to see that the design goal was to do a tool that would be both.

It's impossible to use on most phones and on most tablets. It seems to run fine on one or two iPads.

On a desktop clicking on tags with a pen is almost impossible.

Most normal things one does with text like copy/paste or a simple correction of a word is impossible in the tool itself.

It's telling that now people understand that this is it and will only marginally improve, they start to wish for a tool to use the tool.

wim

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Do away with tags all together. Return to plain text for the desktop.

Build a real phone/tablet app and build a real desktop tool.

This one is neither. But it's easy to see that the design goal was to do a tool that would be both.

It's impossible to use on most phones and on most tablets. It seems to run fine on one or two iPads.

On a desktop clicking on tags with a pen is almost impossible.

Most normal things one does with text like copy/paste or a simple correction of a word is impossible in the tool itself.

It's telling that now people understand that this is it and will only marginally improve, they start to wish for a tool to use the tool.

wim

I thought I was alone - drives me mad! Agree regarding the tags - wish they were just two normal text fields (i.e. supertags and normal tags).

• Upvote 1

GS-Images    1,182
2 hours ago, Martin Carlsson said:

I thought I was alone - drives me mad! Agree regarding the tags - wish they were just two normal text fields (i.e. supertags and normal tags).

That is a good idea. I do quite like the idea of tags and supertags but it hasn't been done very well. Of course it's too late now as I don't see Alamy changing it, but it could work like this.....

2 plain text boxes, one for tags, one for supertags. When we edit that image, all the stored tags are copied over to the 2 text boxes with commas between each tag. Then we can edit as much as we like, using commas to separate each tag and create phrases, copy/paste freely, etc.. Then when we're done and hit the SAVE button, then whatever was saved as tags is overwritten at that point and new tags/supertags created from the text boxes.

How would this work with editing multiple images at the same time though? Hmmm........I'm unsure and won't think about it too hard unless Alamy give me a job re-designing it! Somehow I don't think that will happen (and I wouldn't blame them).  :D

Geoff.

• Upvote 1

M.Chapman    518
2 hours ago, GS-Images said:

That is a good idea. I do quite like the idea of tags and supertags but it hasn't been done very well. Of course it's too late now as I don't see Alamy changing it, but it could work like this.....

2 plain text boxes, one for tags, one for supertags. When we edit that image, all the stored tags are copied over to the 2 text boxes with commas between each tag. Then we can edit as much as we like, using commas to separate each tag and create phrases, copy/paste freely, etc.. Then when we're done and hit the SAVE button, then whatever was saved as tags is overwritten at that point and new tags/supertags created from the text boxes.

How would this work with editing multiple images at the same time though? Hmmm........I'm unsure and won't think about it too hard unless Alamy give me a job re-designing it! Somehow I don't think that will happen (and I wouldn't blame them).  :D

Geoff.

I often find when trying to add a tag to multiple images it fails because at least one of the images has reached 50 tags. But there's no easy way to find out which one. I 100% support Stokie's idea "Some sort of feature whereby when the 'exceeded 50 tags' message is received the new tags are only added to those images that haven't reached 50 tags."

The other thing I find confusing when working with multiple images is the way that a tag only turns black if it's a tag in all images, or if it's a supertag in all images. If it's a tag in some images and a supertag in others it's grey. I then click on a tag that's grey thinking I need to add it to the other images, only to be given a message about it already being a supertag and the tag isn't needed, or something like that. Not sure what the solution is here (maybe I just need a new brain!).

I also find the jumbled list of tags very hard to read. Tag deletion is also difficult. Firstly you have to find the tag, then click very precisely.

I suppose, in conclusion, my feeling is that the additional features these clever tag "buttons" provide are just too fiddly/complicated unless you're only working on very few images at a time.  On balance I think I'd prefer a simple text box list of tags and supertags too, just like the old AIM.

But, if the cut and paste was to work properly and not be saved straightaway when pasting, and Stokie's request was implemented I could work around it.

• Upvote 1