Stockfotoart

English Term please

Stockfotoart    35

:)

How do you call this in english?

It's a hut or place in the forest for hikers to pause or to sit if it's raining - although you may have a picnic there it's not mainly a picnic site -  I found "refuse hut" but I guess it's not exactly the right term?

hiker-refuge-hut-in-forest-brandenburg-g

spacecadet    1,399

Refuge. But that's more of a mountain or wilderness thing. Shelter; belvedere if there's a view.

A tough one. I've looked at mine and I can't do much better.

btw refuse is a word for domestic rubbish.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 1

Joseph Clemson    465

I would use the term shelter. If it were mine I would also add thatched, bench seat, rustic, rural, woodland and the specific location (assuming you are not in a location which forbids commercial photography).

• Upvote 1

GS-Images    1,211

I'd call it a thingamebob. Maybe a thatched thingamebob.

Thatched SOMEthing. I can't honestly work it out and I've tried Googling too.

Sorry, I'm not much help.

Actually, they look like seats, so a thatched shelter maybe.

Geoff.

Edited by GS-Images

Stockfotoart    35

thanks guys I put everything inside

34 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

btw refuse is a word for domestic rubbish.

:lol: yes sorry but it's correct in IM though ;)

Allan Bell    987
11 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Try palapa

Put that search term into Alamy search.

2871 images.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

arterra    3,760
19 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Try palapa

+1

Question is: how many people know this word? I've never heard of it. I'd use palapa, but also lapa (South African version of palapa), thatch-roofed shelter, thatched-roof shelter, thatch roof shelter, garden shelter, ......

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra

Ed Rooney    1,302

Thatched-roofed, straw-covered, English-style, Cotswold-style, shady rest stop, covered, kiosk that sells nothing, that structure out near the edge of the woods. 

wiskerke    1,847

Gazebo; palapa gazebo; (garden) pavilion; belvedere.

Why upload if it's this hard to define?

wim

• Upvote 2

spacecadet    1,399
10 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Gazebo; palapa gazebo; (garden) pavilion; belvedere.

Why upload if it's this hard to define?

wim

If it's a particular destination, fair enough. I've sold pavilions before. Also as an example of the thatcher's art. Or, as it's a bit threadbare, to illustrate the need for more expenditure in public parks.

• Upvote 1

wiskerke    1,847
Just now, spacecadet said:

If it's a particular destination, fair enough. I've sold pavilions before. Also as an example of the thatcher's art. Or, as it's a bit threadbare, to illustrate the need for more expenditure in public parks.

Yes but how to keyword? How would clients be searching for such a topic or concept?

Agree on destination. Something like shelter hut in the XXX forest in Brandenburg.

Will that sell without people? Probably not. It cannot be bought either.

wim

Ed Rooney    1,302

Gazebo is a good one, as Wim points out above.

Since this was captured in Germany and not Mexico or Central America, calling it a "palapa" is something of a reach. The term palapa is not even European Spanish; it's based on a Mayan word. Is there a Mayan community in Germany? 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Upvote 1

M.Chapman    525
8 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I would use the term shelter. If it were mine I would also add thatched, bench seat, rustic, rural, woodland and the specific location (assuming you are not in a location which forbids commercial photography).

I would also add

circular, round, conical, thatched roof, woodland shelter, woodland refuge, forest shelter, forest refuge

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Upvote 1

Stockfotoart    35

I've just come home seeing your suggestions -thanks :)

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Try palapa

thanks but no it's not a palapa

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Yes but how to keyword? How would clients be searching for such a topic or concept?

Agree on destination. Something like shelter hut in the XXX forest in Brandenburg.

Will that sell without people? Probably not. It cannot be bought either.

wim

yes my thoughts but I like it - it's the same as with the "Bollerwagen" may be you remember - we call these shelter in Germany "Schutzhütte" and they are very very common. Normally they are run down but this one is the best I've ever seen -

If there aren't any people I can't shoot them....

1 hour ago, Barking said:

Thatched gazebo...or possibly a Lapas 😀

no it's not a gazebo

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Since this was captured in Germany and not Mexico or Central America, calling it a "palapa" is something of a reach. The term palapa is not even European Spanish; it's based on a Mayan word. Is there a Mayan community in Germany? 

I don't know any Mayas but I guess we have Mayan people in Berlin but you know I don't think that they are looking at alamy for a gazebo, palapa or Lapas and anyway that's not what it is

exactly it's obviously like the Bollerwagen something german and regional that's why I'll add "Schutzhütte"

thanks to all

arterra    3,760
6 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

Thatched parasol maybe?

Shouldn't a parasol be movable?

Cheers,

Philippe

Joseph Clemson    465

This is an interesting discussion on the difficulty in naming or describing relatively unusual objects. It does raise the question as to why a buyer would purchase this image. Granted, it is feasible that someone may need a picture of a thatched shelter. In which case we need to climb inside the buyers mind and think what terms the buyer might use to search fro such an image - 'thatched parasol' is wonderfully imaginative but seems an unlikely candidate for a search term :). However, it seems more likely to me that this image would be wanted because of the location. I don't know anything about the image but I presume it is in a well-known woodland location and/or on a named trail and I would tag, maybe even supertag the location. The other possible use I would want to explore in my keywords would be the unusual use of thatching in a structure like this - maybe someone producing an article on rural trades might line the image as an illustration of the ancient craft. 

• Upvote 1

arterra    3,760
24 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

This is an interesting discussion on the difficulty in naming or describing relatively unusual objects. It does raise the question as to why a buyer would purchase this image. Granted, it is feasible that someone may need a picture of a thatched shelter. In which case we need to climb inside the buyers mind and think what terms the buyer might use to search fro such an image - 'thatched parasol' is wonderfully imaginative but seems an unlikely candidate for a search term :). However, it seems more likely to me that this image would be wanted because of the location. I don't know anything about the image but I presume it is in a well-known woodland location and/or on a named trail and I would tag, maybe even supertag the location. The other possible use I would want to explore in my keywords would be the unusual use of thatching in a structure like this - maybe someone producing an article on rural trades might line the image as an illustration of the ancient craft. 

Indeed an interesting discussion. Certainly about difficult to name objects. There may be an "official" name for it or a special nomenclature used in that special trade and after some research, we may find the correct name. But does the picture searcher? :huh:

Therefore, I often add incorrect tags as well because I'm very well aware that picture searchers are not always very knowledgeable about the subjects they're looking for and use incorrect terms. 

E.g. bears do not hibernate but go into a deep sleep called torpor. But who knows the word "torpor"? So I use both "hibernating" and "torpor", knowing that "hibernating" is incorrect but WILL be used by picture searchers. Same with spiders, scorpions, tick, mites which are all arachnids and NOT insects. But I DO use the tag "insect" for those animals -_- So if you look at my port and find incorrect tags, it's not because I'm stupid :wacko: it's Belgian smartness :ph34r:

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra
  • Upvote 1

Stockfotoart    35
40 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Thanks Joseph,

I agree concerning the tagging and I'd like to add again one point. This "thing" seems to be unusual for most of you being British, French etc. but it's common in Germany. Take whatever german hiking map and look for a tiny often red symbol with the shape of the "thing" in the image and you find exactly this "Schutzhütte".

I wonder why many of you doubt the commercial value only because you have never seen such a shelter and therefore it's uncommon for non Germans.

I had recently a couple of zooms with the search term of the name of a very small village in Provence without any major interesting touristic attraction hotel or other touristic features being situated nowhere. To think what a buyer needs isn't easy and predictable in all cases.

Anyway many thanks for sharing your thoughts and I agree it's interesting.

17 minutes ago, arterra said:

There may be an "official" name for it or a special nomenclature used in that special trade and after some research, we may find the correct name. But does the picture searcher? :huh:

Philippe

I started this discussion because I couldn't find the right term for it and meanwhile I think there isn't any. And that's ok! Although the main language at Alamy is english I often see german or french search terms in AoA. So why trying hard to describe a "thing" unusal in english and not name it what it is in the language in which there is a term. Not all buyers are native english speakers.

spacecadet    1,399

My German search terms have usually been auto-translated by Alamy so I don't bother with many German words in my German images nowadays.

Although I did have a search on "flaschenuntersetzer" the other day- they were beermats but Herr Automatik had seen "bottle" and "coaster" and put 2 and 2 together and got 5. But usually Alamydeutsch is at least as good as Weltraumkadettdeutsch.

Edited by spacecadet