Brasilnut

My experience with Alamy coming from a Microstock background but disappointed with earnings after 2 years

Brasilnut    6

Why upload work that is not your best?

I cannot name the agency but probably won't take very long to find out who with a search on google. In any case, this agency does also submit to Alamy so indirectly I'm submitting my best work to Alamy but it doesn't show up in my portfolio.

As for the fine art stuff, I don't think it would do so well here anyway. Anyway, fine art is really subjective so what I think is interesting someone may think is junk. Stock tends to be more objective. 

ernest    15

Looking for inspiration ( in terms of travel photography) ? Check the collection of Alamy contributors like Pascal Mannaerts, Eric Lafforgue, Frans Lanting, Leonid Plotkin,...

geogphotos    195
9 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

.I'll be spending more time in the UK in the coming months and will think about which types of images will have the greatest prospect of success - perhaps themes related to : Brexit, security, protests, austerity and of course Alamy Live News on the weather :D

Norfolk is good but you probably know that there is nothing in Suffolk. Just get the train straight through from London to Norwich. ;)

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 2

M.Chapman    519
7 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

My best work isn't on Alamy, it's with boutique agencies (both fine art and travel). 

Alamy has a "virtuous circle". If you put your best images here, you're more likely to get sales. If you get more sales your Alamy Rank will improve, this will lead to your images coming higher up in searches. This will lead to more views and, if the images are good enough, more sales. Success can grow on Alamy. Similarly, failure to put your best stuff here can lead to a "vicious circle" of decline. No sales, declining ranking, fewer views, disappointing sales over 2 years. Give Alamy your best shots, keyword them well, and you may be less disappointed.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Upvote 2

spacecadet    1,386
12 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Norfolk is good but you probably know that there is nothing in Suffolk. Just get the train straight through from London to Norwich. ;)

You'll have to put up with me at the weekend. Anywhere within cycling distance of Leiston.

Do you have railways at all?

Edited by spacecadet

geogphotos    195
32 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You'll have to put up with me at the weekend. Anywhere within cycling distance of Leiston.

Do you have railways at all?

Might be one or two railway lines....

For me cycling distance of Leiston would be the outskirts of Leiston - do you know the area,  want any tips (other than try Norfolk :D?)

You coming up here for a cycling event?

Brasilnut    6

Looking for inspiration ( in terms of travel photography) ? Check the collection of Alamy contributors like Pascal Mannaerts, Eric Lafforgue, Frans Lanting, Leonid Plotkin,...

In light of my recent inspiration which has led to keyword perspiration, I've dug through my archives to upload these series of images of a school sponsored by an NGO in a Rio favela.

Do you think they would be interesting for buyers, considering it's now too dangerous to go up that favela? I think the one with the little girl is quite powerful, especially due to what's written on her arm. I'm surprised I never uploaded these to begin with, perhaps didn't feel comfortable as its kids and didn't have the consent of the guardian but then again it's editorials. 

I have many more of Rio which sometimes seem like non-stories but depending on the way I caption and keyword could be interesting for buyers (like homeless people, street vendors.)

I've put them as RM but any merit as RF? (I think not but open to ideas)

Ok now tear me apart :) 

Espaco Crianca Esperanca is an NGO in Rio de Janeiro which helps to educate favela children, literally meaning "Hope Stock Photo

Swimming pool at Pavao Pavaozinho favela in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Stock Photo

A girl (4-6) smiles with Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro background. A message written on a girl’s arm that translates to Stock PhotoA message written on a girl's arm that translates to "I miss you mom". Taken at a favela in Rio Stock Photo

Kids playing football in favela Stock PhotoA girl (4-6) smiles with Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro background. A message written on a girl’s arm that translates to - Stock Photo

Edited by Brasilnut

spacecadet    1,386
15 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

You coming up here for a cycling event?

No, that's how we get around on holiday.

We don't know it, just like it, been there a time or two. Limit probably Southwold- Aldeburgh sort of distance. Thanks, what can you share- apart from staying away from the NT now they've nationalised Sutton Hoo?. Though there is a public footpath to the tumuli.

Edited by spacecadet

geogphotos    195

Dunwich you must know? Orford

Blythburgh?

I'm into churches at the moment:D

Edited by geogphotos

spacecadet    1,386

I'm not taking my wetsuit! There was probably more of it when we dropped by 15 years ago.

Thanks for         , that's gone to the top of my list. Just our sort of thing. Cycling distance as well. I see you have it covered so I will refrain. Unless mine are really good of course.

Edited by spacecadet

geogphotos    195
4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I did get a message from the vicar so be warned!

Edited by geogphotos

20 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

I've put them as RM but any merit as RF

I'd say 99% of the posters on this forum upload as RM, Alamy are telling us otherwise though so upto you

GS-Images    1,183
21 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

In light of my recent inspiration which has led to keyword perspiration, I've dug through my archives to upload these series of images of a school sponsored by an NGO in a Rio favela.

Do you think they would be interesting for buyers, considering it's now too dangerous to go up that favela? I think the one with the little girl is quite powerful, especially due to what's written on her arm. I'm surprised I never uploaded these to begin with, perhaps didn't feel comfortable as its kids and didn't have the consent of the guardian but then again it's editorials. 

I have many more of Rio which sometimes seem like non-stories but depending on the way I caption and keyword could be interesting for buyers (like homeless people, street vendors.)

I'm not an expert on what may or may not sell, but to be honest they look like snapshots rather than professionally processed photos. Personally I wouldn't upload most of them, but maybe a couple with some better processing.

I don't tear people apart, I let others who are much better at it do that!  :lol:   So it's just my honest opinion.

Geoff.

GS-Images    1,183
1 minute ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I'd say 99% of the posters on this forum upload as RM, Alamy are telling us otherwise though so upto you

True, most do seem to stick to RM. I mainly do, but some are RF, more to see what happens than anything else, as the licenses and fees haven't been different between both for a long time anyway. I'm afraid that I struggle to accept Alamy's advice on using RF, as they often say whatever serves their purpose rather than what's either accurate or helpful. I've learned to listen to their advice and act on it, but with caution, and taking my own common-sense and findings as being more accurate to what's best for ME.

Geoff.

• Upvote 1

spacecadet    1,386
1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

=

Another for the list. Thankyou. Churches are our thing too.

Shame about PMs. This was just the sort of exchange they were meant for.

Edited by spacecadet

geogphotos    195
4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Another for the list. Thankyou. Churches are our thing too.

Shame about PMs. This was just the sort of exchange they were meant for.

That's why I have deleted my message! 

Secrets you know....

• Upvote 1

kay    97
45 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

A girl (4-6) smiles with Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro background. A message written on a girl’s arm that translates to - Stock Photo

Hi

I'd try and use the photos - especially if there's no likelihood of going back, and especially the one of the young girl.  Have you checked AoA - All of Alamy - in Alamy Measures to see what people are looking for in connection with favelas?  If you alter the date so it covers a full year, and then in 'Search Term' put %favela% it will be a good way to check you have keyworded well.  For example the word 'youth' seems to crop up more than boy, so I would add that into some of those images.

Best of luck

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brasilnut said:

Espaco Crianca Esperanca is an NGO in Rio de Janeiro which helps to educate favela children, literally meaning "Hope Stock Photo

A girl (4-6) smiles with Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro background. A message written on a girl’s arm that translates to Stock PhotoA message written on a girl's arm that translates to "I miss you mom". Taken at a favela in Rio Stock Photo

Kids playing football in favela Stock PhotoA girl (4-6) smiles with Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro background. A message written on a girl’s arm that translates to - Stock Photo

Nothing wrong with the images, I would add better captions though and include more detail (specially as you're saying nobody can get up there anymore)

spacecadet    1,386
51 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

That's why I have deleted my message! 

Secrets you know....

I've redacted mine, but I still see yours.

Brasilnut    6

I'd try and use the photos - especially if there's no likelihood of going back, and especially the one of the young girl.  Have you checked AoA - All of Alamy - in Alamy Measures to see what people are looking for in connection with favelas?  If you alter the date so it covers a full year, and then in 'Search Term' put %favela% it will be a good way to check you have keyworded well.  For example the word 'youth' seems to crop up more than boy, so I would add that into some of those images.

Great tip. B)

John Mitchell    1,894
On 2017-08-08 at 23:24, geogphotos said:

It was just plain obvious to me from the minute that I saw it that microstock was a dead-end.

Me too. I couldn't understand why anyone would embrace the micro model (except as an act of desperation). But then I felt the same way about RF when it came along...

geogphotos    195
On 08/08/2017 at 12:21, Brasilnut said:

I found Alamy relatively late on (nearly 2 years ago) and been submitting regularly since (2,700 portfolio).

So far I've sold 13 images on Alamy with 2/3 pending for just short of $400. I find this quite low. 

What you could do is analyse the monthly threads where people report their gross sales totals and number of sales.

See how many images a person has on sale, assess in terms of quality how yours compare and create some sort of simple index of what sort of image sales and gross sales revenue you might expect. It will be rough and ready but give some approximation. Is there any sort of rule of thumb emerging - 1000 average pics = so many sales each month. Then assess if you think your images are 'average', 200% better than average, 50% worse, or whatever. 

Out of all the people posting in that thread is there an overall per 1000 number of sales? 

Personally I don't do any of this, and I would judge mine to be quite a bit below average because of similars, my ability, I tend to upload everything etc. Consequently I get less than 1 sale per 1000 images, you will see others with much better ratios. How do you compare, who do you compare best with as a closest fit, etc

If you see a mismatch with your expectations based on quality etc then that might flag up some issues for you to address such as key wording, content, editing.

The last figure I heard quoted was Alamy turnover of around £15 million, so lets say 50% goes to contributors. 100 million images on sale. Do the sums to get a ball-park average figure per image.

Just some thoughts

You are young, intelligent and motivated so can certainly come up with something better using available information.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 4

JeffGreenberg    358
On 8/8/2017 at 07:21, Brasilnut said:

So looking for some advice on how to improve.

Just speaking to your "peopled" editorial,

(& assuming RF = RM in total $$$)

(assumes decent tagging, processing)

on you first 3 pages (120/pg) I found these

two standing out as salable IMO:

JGF5G9 RF
JENJ2A RF
Get busy & upload, say, 6-10K images like
these of varied locations & subjects &, IMO,
you will have many licenses weekly, maybe daily.
Just one bloke's opinion, but by cracky...

Ed Rooney    1,300
18 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Ed Rooney    1,300

Rio? Cariocas? Favilas? Children? What is it you think would not be of interest to buyers? 

• Upvote 3