fogwalker

No sales after 8 months here

Bill Brooks    682

Philippe how do you know what some microstockers think? Sounds to me like wishful thinking on your part if your only proof is that some microstockers no longer sign in and post on the forum.

+1 Philippe for deleting the contents of your post. Seems you thought carefully about your post that I am referring to, and subsequently deleted the contents.

Edited by Bill Brooks
more clarity
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

arterra    3,760
2 hours ago, fogwalker said:

Maybe a small part of my problem might also be that I am from a small country (Czech Republic) and I see that many of you guys are from either UK or US or Canada so maybe the buyers prefer that?

The nationality of the photographer doesn't matter, but of course UK based photographers tend to shoot more UK subjects that might interest UK based clients who visit a UK based agency ;). See the success Keith (Redsnapper) has and he hardly leaves Aberwr.. Abrewyt .... Abyrtwy ..... Abrywthy ..................... :wacko: &@%£§$# :angry:.................. his town ^_^.

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

arterra    3,760
3 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

Philippe how do you know what some microstockers think? Sounds to me like wishful thinking on your part if your only proof is that some microstockers no longer sign in and post on the forum.

+1 Philippe. Seems you thought carefully about your post that I am referring to, and subsequently deleted the contents.

How many names do you want of those microstockers who shared their disappointing thoughts? You're active enough on this forum. You should know.

Cheers,

Philippe

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Bill Brooks    682

Philippe:

In terms of sharing disappointing thoughts you seem to be more active in that regard, and you are not even a microstocker.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

arterra    3,760
20 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

Philippe:

In terms of sharing disappointing thoughts you seem to be more active in that regard, and you are not even a microstocker.

1. I'm not changing sides like a yoyo.
  2. I haven't smashed in my own windows!!!!
  3. And if I'm complaining about ever decreasing prices, I know damn' well who to blame! Starts with an "m"!

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

spacecadet    1,399
8 minutes ago, arterra said:

Ouch! Touched a delicate nerve :lol:

Cheers,

Philippe

Weird.

I've done what I can about that. I didn't know arrows were per-post so you've still got some red.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 2

arterra    3,760
1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Weird.

I've done what I can about that. I didn't know arrows were per-post so you've still got some red.

Guess where they come from :D

Cheers,

Philippe

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

John Mitchell    1,902
3 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Philippe:

There are two answers to this question that I am aware of and I suggest you take them both into account:

1) A buyer can get even a single image from Alamy without taking out a subscription (or worse, being pressured into taking out a subscription).

2) Alamy has a sales department that does picture research even for those who don't have subscriptions.

Alamy has always made them selling points and I think it's important that we remember them.

Good points. Still, it's probably not a wise idea to have the same images on both Alamy and microstock agencies where they are available for much less. No?

• Upvote 2

Bill Brooks    682
13 minutes ago, arterra said:

Guess where they come from :D

Cheers,

Philippe

You don’t have to guess. I gave one red for your post re naming disappointed microstockers, and one green for deleting the contents of your post claiming that you know what microstockers think.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

arterra    3,760
30 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

You don’t have to guess. I gave one red for your post re naming disappointed microstockers, and one green for deleting the contents of your post claiming that you know what microstockers think.

Why don't you give fogwalker some useful advice instead of attacking (as usual) contributors :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

GS-Images    1,211
I have just one thing to say....
black-headed-gull-standing-by-water-making-a-funny-face-F5A676.jpg

Philippe - I've done what I can about the "problem".  ;)

Geoff (the friendly, polite, non-bully who tries hard to bite his tongue when the usual culprits pick fights with good helpful people for no reason).

[Edit] I see that yet again the greenie I had here has been cancelled. I would ask that admin deal with the people who constantly give reds (and try to hide the fact because there is already a green, so they think it won't be noticed) but.....well we all know why there's no point complaining.  :rolleyes:
Edited by GS-Images
Added a bit because I'm annoyed
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

GS-Images    1,211

Fogwalker -  Well done for your decent, polite and friendly response to our posts. As you can see, most of us here are friendly and like to help newbies. It's great that you've taken the advice on board. Your photo quality beats mine, although it pains me to admit it!  :D  So I think you'll do well here. As others have stated, you do need patience. I've just chased up 4 uses of my images that haven't been reported - One from late 2016! That's just the way it is, and despite many of us moaning about it a lot, we just have to accept it unfortunately.

Give it a few more months then I look forward to hearing about your sales.  :)

Geoff.

Edited by GS-Images
typo
  • Upvote 3

KODAKovic    15

My best selling is a closeup where the skin color was the only "geographic" indication.

In my case, my first sale was exactly 1 year after sign up so 8 months i'm jealous :)

• Upvote 1

Bill Brooks    682
15 minutes ago, arterra said:

Why don't you can give fogwalker some useful advice instead of attacking (as usual) contributors :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Philippe

No need to give more advice after Geoff’s excellent post 8 hours ago. That is why I gave Geoff’s 8 hour ago post a greeny.

KODAKovic    15

I also want to say that putting the same images on micro and Alamy is wrong not only because prices but because it's a non sense.

Micro images are more "stock", location is often not useful and they have a strong concept.

Alamy has more to do with location and Editorial style.

John Mitchell    1,902
29 minutes ago, KODAKovic said:

I also want to say that putting the same images on micro and Alamy is wrong not only because prices but because it's a non sense.

Micro images are more "stock", location is often not useful and they have a strong concept.

Alamy has more to do with location and Editorial style.

That's true. However, Alamy Measures / All of Alamy indicates that plenty of buyers do look for "strong concept" images of the type you mention -- and there is now no shortage of them on Alamy  -- but they don't seem to be licensing them here for the most part. There must be a reason why they are going elsewhere to shop.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Upvote 1

KODAKovic    15

I've read yesterday a person makes usually 7k a month on micro and his pictures are for the most part seasonal pictures (he covers the whole year) or "patterns" like "shape" pictures. Sorry for my english, i don't know how to explain the word "shape" better :mellow:

I believe Alamy is the strongest place for Editorials after Getty (not iStock).

So for me is easy to know which pics to put here and which on micro, they are VERY different

Edited by KODAKovic
bad english
  • Upvote 1

KODAKovic    15
15 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

However, Alamy Measures / All of Alamy indicates that plenty of buyers do look for "strong concept" images of the type you mention 

John, what i mean is that on Alamy buyers look for strong concept images in a "editorial" style not "shape" images nor studio nor pics with people looking at camera nor people doing something without looking at the camera where it's clear they're models.

Things which sell here are REAL people doing REAL activities

Bill Brooks    682
51 minutes ago, KODAKovic said:

I've read yesterday a person makes usually 7k a month on micro and his pictures are for the most part seasonal pictures (he covers the whole year) or "patterns" like "shape" pictures. Sorry for my english, i don't know how to explain the word "shape" better :mellow:

So for me is easy to know which pics to put here and which on micro, they are VERY different

+1 Kodaovic

Very smart, you have a foothold in both microstock and Alamy stock using different images.

• Upvote 2

Bill Brooks    682
2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Good points. Still, it's probably not a wise idea to have the same images on both Alamy and microstock agencies where they are available for much less. No?

The rule that you should not have the same RF images on  microstock and on Alamy. I often hear it cited, but cannot find it anywhere. Is it in the Alamy contract?

I also hear the idea that if you have the same image in microstock, and on Alamy, that buyers will find it on Alamy and then spend their precious time trying to save a few dollars searching through thousands of microstock images to find the same image. I just do not buy that idea.

• Upvote 4

John Mitchell    1,902
20 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

The rule that you should not have the same RF images on  microstock and on Alamy. I often hear it cited, but cannot find it anywhere. Is it in the Alamy contract?

I also hear the idea that if you have the same image in microstock, and on Alamy, that buyers will find it on Alamy and then spend their precious time trying to save a few dollars searching through thousands of microstock images to find the same image. I just do not buy that idea.

Right, Bill, there's no such rule.

Actually, it can be very easy to find the same image on a microstock website. Just copy and paste the caption into the micro of your choice's search box. Most microstock shooters who come to Alamy don't bother to change their captions / headings. Give it a try. But I know what you're saying...

• Upvote 2

gvallee    919
43 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

No need, it's dead easy, it only takes one click. Do a reverse image search once you've identified one on Alamy and you'll get all the places where it's for sale. I know because I very often noticed it when I report on the 'Have you Found Images' thread.

• Upvote 4

Ed Rooney    1,302
4 hours ago, KODAKovic said:

Shape > forma? I think "design" is the word you're looking for. It doesn't translate. 

We're used to people speaking English as a second or third language in the forum, KK. Don't worry. Your English is OK. Sufficiente -- non che male.

John Mitchell    1,902
6 hours ago, gvallee said:

No need, it's dead easy, it only takes one click. Do a reverse image search once you've identified one on Alamy and you'll get all the places where it's for sale. I know because I very often noticed it when I report on the 'Have you Found Images' thread.

no secrets in cyberspace...