15 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

However, Alamy Measures / All of Alamy indicates that plenty of buyers do look for "strong concept" images of the type you mention 

John, what i mean is that on Alamy buyers look for strong concept images in a "editorial" style not "shape" images nor studio nor pics with people looking at camera nor people doing something without looking at the camera where it's clear they're models.

Things which sell here are REAL people doing REAL activities

51 minutes ago, KODAKovic said:

I've read yesterday a person makes usually 7k a month on micro and his pictures are for the most part seasonal pictures (he covers the whole year) or "patterns" like "shape" pictures. Sorry for my english, i don't know how to explain the word "shape" better :mellow:

I believe Alamy is the strongest place for Editorials after Getty (not iStock).

So for me is easy to know which pics to put here and which on micro, they are VERY different

+1 Kodaovic

Very smart, you have a foothold in both microstock and Alamy stock using different images.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Good points. Still, it's probably not a wise idea to have the same images on both Alamy and microstock agencies where they are available for much less. No?

The rule that you should not have the same RF images on  microstock and on Alamy. I often hear it cited, but cannot find it anywhere. Is it in the Alamy contract?

I also hear the idea that if you have the same image in microstock, and on Alamy, that buyers will find it on Alamy and then spend their precious time trying to save a few dollars searching through thousands of microstock images to find the same image. I just do not buy that idea.

20 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

The rule that you should not have the same RF images on  microstock and on Alamy. I often hear it cited, but cannot find it anywhere. Is it in the Alamy contract?

I also hear the idea that if you have the same image in microstock, and on Alamy, that buyers will find it on Alamy and then spend their precious time trying to save a few dollars searching through thousands of microstock images to find the same image. I just do not buy that idea.

Right, Bill, there's no such rule.

Actually, it can be very easy to find the same image on a microstock website. Just copy and paste the caption into the micro of your choice's search box. Most microstock shooters who come to Alamy don't bother to change their captions / headings. Give it a try. But I know what you're saying...

43 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

No need, it's dead easy, it only takes one click. Do a reverse image search once you've identified one on Alamy and you'll get all the places where it's for sale. I know because I very often noticed it when I report on the 'Have you Found Images' thread.

4 hours ago, KODAKovic said:

I've read yesterday a person makes usually 7k a month on micro and his pictures are for the most part seasonal pictures (he covers the whole year) or "patterns" like "shape" pictures. Sorry for my english, i don't know how to explain the word "shape" better :mellow:

I believe Alamy is the strongest place for Editorials after Getty (not iStock).

So for me is easy to know which pics to put here and which on micro, they are VERY different

Shape > forma? I think "design" is the word you're looking for. It doesn't translate. 

We're used to people speaking English as a second or third language in the forum, KK. Don't worry. Your English is OK. Sufficiente -- non che male.

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

No need, it's dead easy, it only takes one click. Do a reverse image search once you've identified one on Alamy and you'll get all the places where it's for sale. I know because I very often noticed it when I report on the 'Have you Found Images' thread.

no secrets in cyberspace...

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Shape > forma? I think "design" is the word you're looking for. It doesn't translate. 

We're used to people speaking English as a second or third language in the forum, KK. Don't worry. Your English is OK. Sufficiente -- non che male.

Your italian is good too :lol:

Well, i don't mean "design" with the word "shape" , may be a day i'll explain it better ... for the moment i'm working 90% on Alamy, 8% on footages and 2% on micro so micro could wait :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

I am astonished, I really thought this was so basic knowledge to forum members that there was no need to mention this..

21 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

I am astonished, I really thought this was so basic knowledge to forum members that there was no need to mention this..

Some do pretend...

A question and an observation;

- Why wouldn't the "ultra price conscious buyers" head over to one of the places that fits their wallet straight away, instead of wasting time browsing at Alamy and find images that may or may NOT be available/cheaper elsewhere?

- Taking a 360 degree view on the industry - the "common" lowest royalties reported for some time now are not necessarily coming from the cheap places, but "G"- I wonder where...

5 hours ago, KODAKovic said:

Your italian is good too :lol:

Well, i don't mean "design" with the word "shape" , may be a day i'll explain it better ... for the moment i'm working 90% on Alamy, 8% on footages and 2% on micro so micro could wait :rolleyes:

Is the word you are searching for "backgrounds"? Which would cover things like textures?

Those could include subjects like the bark of trees, brick walls, ripples in sand, wallpaper, and anything that shows subtle or bold textures.

Betty

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Is the word you are searching for "backgrounds"? Which would cover things like textures?

Those could include subjects like the bark of trees, brick walls, ripples in sand, wallpaper, and anything that shows subtle or bold textures.

Betty

Google Translate gives me the english word "schematic" for the corrrespondant italian word.

It could be a mix of patterns, backgrounds... in general everything which who's looking at the picture could say that has been prepared, organized by the photographer (like studio shots or everything with models)

REAL people making REAL things are not micro for my vision (even if you ask them to sign a model release on the street).

A brick of wall is repeatable millions of times (micro) while an african child using a mobile phone is repeatable may be thousand times (Macro with RF Editorial or RM licensing) while a niche photograph like the romanian church near my home could be sold like RM Exclusive to Alamy because there are no pictures of it on the whole Internet.

Shame on me if i sold it on micro sites like many did unfortunately thinking "it's better 1Euro than nothing".

This is as i see this thing of Micro/Macro market and RF/RM licensing

Schematic = schematico, hardly telling or helpful. Google Translate can often be helpful. It can also lead you down the wrong path. Languages have different size vocabularies . . . and they are constantly changing. 

"Simpatico" is an Italian word English speakers understand. In fact we can find it in English dictionaries. However, it has an extra meaning in English: Like-minded. That was not part of the original Italian . . . but I think it might be used now in Italian. ???

"Alfresco" is an English word based on two Italian words, "al fresco," which means "in the cool." In English, alfresco usually referees to outdoor dining. This term also might have changed recently in what I refer to as "lost and found in translation." 

Thanks to what happened on the south coast of England in 1066, about one third of our English vocabulary is French. Madonna mia!

KK, may I suggest that you post a couple of images as examples of what you mean?

10 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

I find reverse image searches to be inconsistent when it comes to finding my images on other agencies -- i.e. they don't always work -- so I'm not sure how useful they would really be to buyers looking for specific images.

Mind you, I don't submit much to other agencies these days.

6 hours ago, funkyworm said:

I dont have to think long to come up with instances where my own images have been gazumped (sold at a lower price) by my own images. But also cases where the buyer has chosen the more expensive option.

I am not sure in how much our own paranoia about getting gazumped leads to shooting ourselves in the foot. If on an individual image level it were endemic, then I should be getting a lot more direct enquiries and sales from my website. There is also a tendancy to overplay the global nature of the market and underplay agents personal relationships with buyers.

There is an element where photographers undervalue their own work... I have work at portals where creators can set your own prices... and some of them are shockingly low.

Interesting comments. A new word for my expanding stock photo vocabulary -- "gazumped". Thanks.

I too have a few images with one of those "set your own fee" outfits, and yes "shocking" is the word to describe much of the pricing. Some people like to gazump themselves apparently. B)

Archived