MDM    616
24 minutes ago, Alamy said:

Hi everyone,

The personal message feature was being misused by a number of people and it therefore had become too much of a strain on resources to continue to be viable. It's a shame but that's how things stand for now, sorry for not giving advanced notice.

To give you an idea of the type of things we're referring to, there were multiple instances but they included:

• Users using the PM feature to arrange "tactics" to work against other users
  • PM's between members containing details of false rumors and generally whipping up untruths 
  • Poor, incorrect or misleading advice being given to other members from some users
  • Verbal abuse and name calling
  • In one case we saw a user talking about inflicting physical violence on someone should they see them in person
  • Promotion of other sites and services

This is not an exhaustive list but goes some way to explain the type of thing we cannot allow to continue. 

We want the forum to be a productive place for our contributors and we feel taking this step is best for all concerned. 

Alamy

P.S - Using this site to promote or link to your own forum or any third party photography forums is prohibited

Thanks for the explanation and that is quite incredible. It is very interesting to know what goes on behind the scenes.

• Upvote 2

Alamy    0

We're locking this thread in order to call a close to the discussion around it. We feel we have made the correct decision without singling out any individuals and intend to keep it that way.

We are sure this will be beneficial to the forum in the long run. 

We're sorry a minority have caused this action to be put in place, however, we feel the resources required to effectively moderate this feature were no longer sustainable. 

Here's a link to the forum rules that have been in place since day one. They also cover (and refer to) the personal message feature of the forum.

Alamy

Alamy    0
32 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

If people are speaking about causing physical harm to someone in the messages then report it to the police and BAN THEM. If people are criticising other members or Alamy, then that is their right. This is not a dictatorship, or at least it shouldn't be. As I have recently been told by admin (paraphrasing), others have a right to an opinion.

---

I may as well say goodbye after writing this as I know full well I'm one of the people being referred to by admin.

To clarify, we've made no reference to criticism of other members or Alamy being against any rules. Your reference to us informing you that others have a right to an opinion was in relation to others having the right to use the "disagree" down vote arrow under posts.  

We have made no reference to yourself or any other user in this thread and the list of examples was used to give some clarity on the action we've taken.

Kind regards

Alamy