gvallee    918
14 minutes ago, DJ Myford said:

Oops, sorry. Apologies to all. I think I'll have to stop visiting here: it's having deleterious effects.

Nahh! And thank you for teaching me a new word.

Gen

Jill Morgan    674

After all these years, surely they can deal with the perpatrator(s). Blocking a whole group for the actions of others seems a bit drastic.  

Since the forum isn't actually Alamy's but provided by a third party, they may not have the option to set standards for PM usage.  Probably can just turn it off or on for the whole forum, not individual users.

Jill

MDM    616
2 hours ago, Doc said:

Will make life much more diifficult for those of us who meet up regularly - like our Cambridge/surrounds based group. 

Come on Alamy - there must be a better solution than this "all fits one" approach surely?

Kumar (the Doc one)

I have email addresses of all the (Cambridge meetup) regulars I think :).

Pity Alamy didn't give some warning on this. I would like to have saved some conversations.

Edited by MDM
  • Upvote 2

Jill Morgan    674
10 minutes ago, MDM said:

I have email addresses of all the regulars I think :).

Pity Alamy didn't give some warning on this. I would like to have saved some conversations.

Notice would have be nice to at least request a contact's email address before shutdown.

Jill

• Upvote 1

GS-Images    1,183

Well not many have my email address (I'm sure I qualify as regular!) and that's ok with me, but I would like to have the ability to contact a few regulars. I have a temporary address I don't care about that I have published elsewhere before, so maybe others could get a temporary one just to make initial contact, and post the address in the forum. Pretty silly to have to do that though, and some warning of this would have been nice.

Geoff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sultanpepa    408

Only used the function a handful of times but it was valuable. Alamy once again with overkill IMO. :(

• Upvote 1

MDM    616
19 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Well not many have my email address (I'm sure I qualify as regular!) and that's ok with me, but I would like to have the ability to contact a few regulars. I have a temporary address I don't care about that I have published elsewhere before, so maybe others could get a temporary one just to make initial contact, and post the address in the forum. Pretty silly to have to do that though, and some warning of this would have been nice.

Geoff.

I was talking about the Cambridge meetup regulars (as in Doc's quoted post) so, unless you have been hiding in the corner of our meeting place disuised as a cow or a large eye, then you don't qualify. However, you would be more than welcome if you ever wanted to join us :).  Next meeting is late September.

• Upvote 2

GS-Images    1,183
5 minutes ago, MDM said:

I was talking about the Cambridge meetup regulars (as in Doc's quoted post) so, unless you have been hiding in the corner of our meeting place disuised as a cow or a large eye, then you don't qualify. However, you would be more than welcome if you ever wanted to join us :).  Next meeting is late September.

Arrr I see, apologies, I didn't realise you meant that.

Thanks for the kind invite, that's nice of you. I promise I wouldn't wear my cow suit.  :)

Geoff.

• Upvote 1

Allan Bell    986
6 minutes ago, MDM said:

I am one of the meet up regulars too and found the PM'ing very useful to arrange meetings instead of clogging up the forums. Not just for that but also discussing technical points with another and sometimes a personal/private message too.

Yes if Geoff can manage it please come.

Others are welcome too.

For heavens sake it is what it says on the tin. PM = private messaging.

Allan

• Upvote 3

MDM    616
10 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Arrr I see, apologies, I didn't realise you meant that.

Thanks for the kind invite, that's nice of you. I promise I wouldn't wear my cow suit.  :)

Geoff.

We don't have a dress code so you are welcome to come dressed as a cow if you want.  :) I've just altered my original post as it was easily misinterpreted.

MDM    616
8 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I am one of the meet up regulars too and found the PM'ing very useful to arrange meetings instead of clogging up the forums. Not just for that but also discussing technical points with another and sometimes a personal/private message too.

Yes if Geoff can manage it please come.

Others are welcome too.

For heavens sake it is what it says on the tin. PM = private messaging.

Allan

I recall reading some time back that the PM could be read by Alamy (probably in the terms and conditions). So it was never really private. I wonder was somebody or other guilty of abusing Alamy through the PM system. Just a thought.

My only gripe though is that they didn't give us any notice.

arterra    3,756
10 minutes ago, MDM said:

I recall reading some time back that the PM could be read by Alamy (probably in the terms and conditions). So it was never really private. I wonder was somebody or other guilty of abusing Alamy through the PM system. Just a thought.

My only gripe though is that they didn't give us any notice.

Alamy has the option to disable the PM function red/green arrow function of individual contributors. At least, so I was told by auntie A herself.

Edit: correction made :unsure:

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra

Allan Bell    986
3 minutes ago, arterra said:

:ph34r: Maybe Kim Jong-un took over Alamy :ph34r:

Cheers,

Philippe

Nah! More like Trump.:ph34r:

Allan

• Downvote 1

arterra    3,756
2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Nah! More like Trump.:ph34r:

Allan

We are naughty, aren't we :ph34r:

Cheers,

Philippe

Allan Bell    986
1 minute ago, arterra said:

We are naughty, aren't we :ph34r:

Cheers,

Philippe

We are going to be banned from here too.

Better get over to the Facebook site.

Allan

arterra    3,756
2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

We are going to be banned from here too.

Better get over to the Facebook site.

Allan

A bit lonely there, apart from some invading microstockers.

Cheers,

Philippe

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

GS-Images    1,183

Oh no, please not FB. I really don't like social media and haven't felt comfortable with that FB group in the distant past.

Geoff.

Alamy    0

Hi everyone,

The personal message feature was being misused by a number of people and it therefore had become too much of a strain on resources to continue to be viable. It's a shame but that's how things stand for now, sorry for not giving advanced notice.

To give you an idea of the type of things we're referring to, there were multiple instances but they included:

• Users using the PM feature to arrange "tactics" to work against other users
  • PM's between members containing details of false rumors and generally whipping up untruths 
  • Poor, incorrect or misleading advice being given to other members from some users
  • Verbal abuse and name calling
  • In one case we saw a user talking about inflicting physical violence on someone should they see them in person
  • Promotion of other sites and services

This is not an exhaustive list but goes some way to explain the type of thing we cannot allow to continue. 

We want the forum to be a productive place for our contributors and we feel taking this step is best for all concerned. 

Alamy

P.S - Using this site to promote or link to your own forum or any third party photography forums is prohibited

arterra    3,756
5 minutes ago, Alamy said:

Hi everyone,

The personal message feature was being misused by a number of people and it therefore had become too much of a strain on resources to continue to be viable. It's a shame but that's how things stand for now, sorry for not giving advanced notice.

To give you an idea of the type of things we're referring to, there were multiple instances but they included:

• PM's between members containing details of false rumors and generally whipping up untruths 
  • Poor, incorrect or misleading advice being given to other members from some users
  • In one case we saw a user talking about inflicting physical violence on someone should they see them in person

This is not an exhaustive list but goes some way to explain the type of thing we cannot allow to continue. 

We want the forum to be a productive place for our contributors and we feel taking this step is best for all concerned. 

Alamy

P.S - Using this site to promote or link to your own forum or any third party photography forums is prohibited

Isn't it the task of the moderator to tackle those individuals instead of the whole community?

Cheers,

Philippe

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Alamy    0
2 minutes ago, arterra said:

Isn't it the task of the moderator to tackle those individuals instead of the whole community?

Cheers,

Philippe

That has always been our approach but we have found that often individual members don't react well and feel singled out. 

Thanks

Alamy 

funkyworm    635
6 minutes ago, Alamy said:

Hi everyone,

Alamy

Which sort of indicates that the personal messages weren;t very personal, i.e. private.;)

With the situation of the industry as it is, I have the feeling that the mechanisms of a forum of an agent is not in the top ten of challenges we face.

• Upvote 2

Jill Morgan    674

It would be nice to have it re-instated for a day simply to connect with people to ask for an email address.  To me it was the abrupt cancellation that was most annoying.

Jill

GS-Images    1,183
3 minutes ago, Alamy said:

That has always been our approach but we have found that often individual members don't react well and feel singled out. 

Thanks

Alamy 

Sure, when it's unjustified and others have caused a problem, but the victim receives a warning and a threat of a ban. Hardly good for relations especially when someone is a long-term member here and is well respected with over 1000 green arrows. Punish the real culprits, and when Alamy themselves make mistakes and are criticised, act responsibly and in a professional manner and own up to it and try to set things straight.

I feel that some of this the list you have is personal, and I recognise several points in your list directed at particular members, which is antagonistic, which is against your own rules. I'm sure you will disagree of course.

If people are speaking about causing physical harm to someone in the messages then report it to the police and BAN THEM. If people are criticising other members or Alamy, then that is their right. This is not a dictatorship, or at least it shouldn't be. As I have recently been told by admin (paraphrasing), others have a right to an opinion.

The "personal message service" SHOULD be private and I don't know why admin would want to waste their precious time reading all the messages.

Of course this post is likely to result in another warning or a ban. That's your choice but I am being police and respectful and giving my opinion. Target the right people, don't punish us all and don't take things we write IN PRIVATE personally.

25 minutes ago, Alamy said:

That is absolutely ridiculous.

I may as well say goodbye after writing this as I know full well I'm one of the people being referred to by admin.

Geoff.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3