RX100 being repaired two months after purchase and its all my fault

Hi.

So, my RX100 M3 is now in Birmingham getting its lens replaced. I dropped the camera while it was in its (Lowepro) soft case. It fell to the ground and the lens stopped turning. The next day I was at a fair, taking pictures of some ride in the sky, and someone's shoe fell, hitting me in the face and dropping the camera again.

Before that cursed weekend, I had dropped it twice I think.

How do other people hold onto their RX100s? The Lowepro is great for when I am walking, since its lightweight etc. But it offers little hope if you drop the thing. I used to have a hard case for my Canon G9x, though it was held around the neck and not that great or accessible. 

I am glad that I could get it repaired, but I am convinced it will happen again. Does anyone have any tips, other than to say "be more careful" ??

Thanks!

When I bought my RX100III I got an extra battery and and this case as a cheap package. I thought I would not use the leather case, but it seems to work excellently for a ready to go camera - and I look like a stupid tourist with it - which can be beneficial sometimes. The simple nylon wrist strap saved for later use.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1060915-REG/sony_lcjrxf_b_premium_jacket_case_for.html

A lanyard a bit longer than this one.

Either it goes around my neck and the camera in my shirt pocket.

Or the camera goes in my neoprene Zing belt pouch and when it comes out, the strap goes around my wrist twice. This way the camera fits my hand exactly. I can use either thumb or finger on the shutter. It falls naturally into the palm of my hand, when I walk. And it does not fall on the ground. I have lanyards on both with a slightly different weave, so I can tell them apart without looking.

I have hit things with it though. Usually a door or a chair. Got hit as well, usually bags and suitcases mostly on wheels.

The one time it was fatal, the aperture didn't function any more.

Focusing always returned to normal with the secret reset trick: Remove card just in case; hold the camera face down on the table with some force and turn it on. The calibration takes around 7 seconds. Follow the instructions on the screen. =Turn the camera off and on again ;-)

Mine got a fatal shock when it was on a 3,5m / 12ft pole and I let it come down laterally, stopping it just above the ground. That G-force was obviously too much.

There is a setting in the menu somewhere that makes the lens subtract when the built-in accelerometer senses a shock. Normally it's quick enough to withdraw the lens, before the body hits the ground. I seem to remember that the tests were done from table height.

wim

The RX100 is an elusive little thing which will attempt escape at every opportunity. I learned the hard way to secure it to my wrist every time it leaves the lowepro pouch on my belt with the wrist strap that came with the camera.

Thanks to all for your comments. I didn't mention the strap, but a friend nags me all the time to use one with my camera. As there were a few people suggesting this here, i will replace the strap to the camera, when it finally arrives from the repair center.

The hard case from Sony, which I love, isnt suitable as I have the extra grip stuck on the body (I already checked and it wont fit).

So, i will try the strap approach. That wouldnt have saved it in the kitchen as i was just sloppy in holding the case. But it could have stopped it getting smacked from that shoe.

Cheers. 

33 minutes ago, arterra said:

Don't you have a wooden leg? :huh:

Hmmmm.......... nah, wasn't you ............ Ed perhaps? 

I'm off topic again, ain't I? :o

Cheers,

Philippe

How dare you maline our dear Betty?:angry:

You! You Belgian you.:P

Allan

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I hope I'm not tempting fate with this remark, but I don't use a wrist strap or any strap, and have never fumbled or dropped either RX100 or mk 3.

Now where's that wood to knock on?

Betty

Maybe Sony have created the first female friendly camera.

55 minutes ago, arterra said:

It's YOU! :huh: YOU have a wooden leg, haven't you. If not, you should. You look like a whaler (though they appear to have whalebone pegs instead of wooden^_^

Cheers,

Philippe :P

I'll get your coat.

BTW Philippe, we're looking for a 2- night stopoff on the way to the Mosel next month. Always fancied the Cantons de l'Est, how about St. Vith?

It's a possibility, we will be camping but tend to like our comforts.

I can't match the face-licking boar but at Gordale Scar we were once woken up by the sound of sheep eating. The Yorkshire Dales are quiet.

St Vith, then, this time, with a handy campsite and only 59 images on Alamy (but no searches) . Maybe port and pig next time.

Thanks, Philippe.

Back to OP.

I always use some kind of support for my cameras when carrying them from wrist straps through neck os shoulder straps to bags of one kind or another. Never ever go freehand.

2 hours ago, arterra said:

It's YOU! :huh: YOU have a wooden leg, haven't you. If not, you should. You look like a whaler (though they appear to have whalebone pegs instead of wooden^_^

Cheers,

Philippe :P

I have a wooden something but it is not a leg.:P

Allan

7 hours ago, arterra said:

Don't you have a wooden leg? :huh:

Hmmmm.......... nah, wasn't you ............ Ed perhaps? 

I'm off topic again, ain't I? :o

Cheers,

Philippe

It"s my head that's wooden, Philippe!  But I can't knock on it or I'll smear my paint or muss my glued-on hair.

Archived