JeffGreenberg

easy way to remove these vertical bar artifacts?

JeffGreenberg    366

Used camera recently with sensor issues;

in some light areas, dark parallel vertical bars appear;

about 1/3rd of ~70 images;

often on light clouds, but not always;

is there any easy way to remove?

my current skill limits would involve surround clusters of bars with PatchTool & hope they disappear via ContentAware;

what about QuickSelectionTool & then some other tool within selection that only eliminates vertical bars...?

Advice appreciated.  If it involves layers, may need tutorial link...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

100% crop (click on image 2 times to reach 100% view)

FL170728d34crop.jpg

Edited by JeffGreenberg

Bill Brooks    682

In photoshop

Select area with bars and move only the barred area to a higher layer

change higher layer to lighten

move higher lighten  layer one pixel to right or left one pixel at a time until black bars disappear.

You are moving light higher area to cover black bars. The light area will cover the black bars. The black bars will not show up over the light area below because the moved layer is set to lighten

Not easy. get camera repaired.

• Upvote 2

M.Chapman    525

Certainly can't think of an easy way, and with $/image so low, it's not worth the time - unless some of the images are truly unique. Might be easier if the bars are in the sky, but still overly time consuming. IMHO.

Why not submit one captioned and keyworded as "Image showing digital camera sensor defect"? Although it might get a QC fail on the way!

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Upvote 2

JeffGreenberg    366
39 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

In photoshop

Select area with bars and move only the barred area to a higher layer

change higher layer to lighten

move higher lighten  layer one pixel to right or left one pixel at a time until black bars disappear.

Thanks!  Does anyone already know of a tutorial or youtube video covering this...?

Jon Lewis    88

Hi Jeff 

Its Moire look that up on you tube while your thinking of a way round download packs.

Jon 

Vincent Lowe    210

I've had good results with this technique to remove moire patterns (better than the Photoshop slider) so might be worth a go, though I imagine it will be a bit fiddly selecting the problem areas.  Just try it on one small area first to see if it works.

https://photographylife.com/how-to-remove-moire-in-photoshop

JeffGreenberg    366

I am near certain this is NOT moire pattern issue?!!

Click on OP image, then on "Full Size" lower left.

See parallel dark bars at 100%.

There's no repetitive pattern in image,

there ARE repetitive dark bar artifacts...

Edited by JeffGreenberg
  • Downvote 1

Vincent Lowe    210

No, not at all sure it's moire - looks more like a faulty camera - but I thought the above technique might used to salvage the images in this case.

Edited by Vincent Lowe

wiskerke    1,847

If you're talking about the colored bars/stripes in the sides of the overpass, that's moire.

In Lightroom there's a dedicated tool for it.

If I remember correctly you're on CS6, like I am.

Quick and dirty: use the desaturation tool aka the sponge.

More sophisticated: create new layer; if it's ok for the color to go grey, just desaturate it like before; now mask it in.

If it's not ok for the color to go grey, use the eyedropper to pick up the desired color from the affected area; paint the area with your brush set to color. After this just mask it in.

There's a ton of solutions for dealing with moire for all versions of PSP on youtube and google.

wim

• Upvote 1

JeffGreenberg    366

Wim & all,

Moire, I read, is caused by repeating patterns in photos, elements existing in reality captured in a photo...?

These vertical bars appearing mostly in white-ish areas like white paint in sunlight, some white clouds,

& these barsdid NOT exist in reality, they are artifacts caused by (I assume) faulty sensor...?

There are no patterns in reality that caused these bars, bright white areas caused these bars...?

Is there another moire causal factor I didn't read in moire definitions...?!!!

But I have found way to cover these bars:

a. surround them with QuickSelectionTool

b. click on SetForegroundColor

c. click on color between surrounded bars

d. cover surrounded bars using PaintBucketTool

Cruder than advice given, but within my wheelhouse...

Edited by JeffGreenberg

wiskerke    1,847

Moire does not appear in clouds.

However what you have here is a classic case of moire. It's the bars of the siding that are at an angle with the pattern of your sensor.

A screen printer will tell you that there's only one really safe angle: 22,5 degrees.

The traditional way of dealing with it in digital cameras is with a blurring filter just in front of the sensor.

Some Sony cameras are popular because they do not have a burring filter. The RX1R II has a variable filter. Your RX 10 III has a regular filter.

This is obviously not from that camera. It is from a drone. A Phantom Pro I presume. If you google DJI cameras, you will see many people looking for a solution for moire aka aliasing.

wim

• Upvote 1

JeffGreenberg    366
2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Wim & all,

In that image, no.

In other images, yes, for example,

artifact parallel bars define a lower cloud under an overcast sky & even bleed onto building rooftop:

(does this still fit moire theory?  regardless, going back to factory under warranty!)

artifact-parallel-bars-define-cloud.JPG

M.Chapman    525
7 hours ago, wiskerke said:

However what you have here is a classic case of moire. It's the bars of the siding that are at an angle with the pattern of your sensor.

A screen printer will tell you that there's only one really safe angle: 22,5 degrees.

The traditional way of dealing with it in digital cameras is with a blurring filter just in front of the sensor.

Some Sony cameras are popular because they do not have a burring filter. The RX1R II has a variable filter. Your RX 10 III has a regular filter.

This is obviously not from that camera. It is from a drone. A Phantom Pro I presume. If you google DJI cameras, you will see many people looking for a solution for moire aka aliasing.

wim

Wim,

It's not moire. Look at the sides of the white vehicles in the picture in the original posting. It looks more like some weird highlight overflow wraparound binning problem in the sensor. The slight distortion of the bands (they don't appear to line up perfectly with the sensor pixel grid) maybe caused by some in-camera lens distortion correction?

Jeff,

If you can post a RAW version of that image somewhere, then we can take a closer look. If all the bars are a single and identical colour and ONLY occur where the image should be white, then some of the global selection tools might work.

Mark 

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Upvote 1

wiskerke    1,847

And the second is also moire.

But how moire can show up in clouds with no screen of themselves?

So there is some double screen present. 1 is your sensor. So where does the other come from?

I'm off boating now, but when I have a time to use Google, I'll return to this thread.

You may have found the answer by then of course.

I know nothing of drones and their cameras, but here's a quote:

(it's about a video mode)

There is an inherent and well known flaw with 1080p 60 fps mode. The compression is specifically designed so that it can get back to the controller with extremely low latency using pixel binning. Great for FPV flying. However, if you shoot in that mode you will get bad quality footage with lots of Moiré & Aliasing.

So the answer lies in the settings of the camera.

wim

• Upvote 1

JeffGreenberg    366

1" sensor DJI P4P+;

will post camera DNG asap;

order of events:

1. no such artifacts for first 500 exposures over first several months

2. off to DJI under warranty for a repair

3. upon return & this first use, parallel bar artifacts** appear in ~25% of images,

almost always in bright near-white areas, but not all...

**most dark blue, but occasionally reddish, too

Edited by JeffGreenberg

wiskerke    1,847

Any possibility of a different setting than before?

Otherwise contact DJI support. Even when it turns out to be a known issue, you did not experience it the first months and you will want that state returned please.

In the mean time:

You do of course only use the RAW from the SD card.

Maybe test it on the ground without gimbal working.

Is 3D noise reduction on?
Have you used HDR or AEB?

Is there a way to set regular mechanic shutter or electronic shutter for stills?

wim

• Upvote 1

Betty LaRue    1,054
23 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Wim & all,

Moire, I read, is caused by repeating patterns in photos, elements existing in reality captured in a photo...?

These vertical bars appearing mostly in white-ish areas like white paint in sunlight, some white clouds,

& these barsdid NOT exist in reality, they are artifacts caused by (I assume) faulty sensor...?

There are no patterns in reality that caused these bars, bright white areas caused these bars...?

Is there another moire causal factor I didn't read in moire definitions...?!!!

But I have found way to cover these bars:

a. surround them with QuickSelectionTool

b. click on SetForegroundColor

c. click on color between surrounded bars

d. cover surrounded bars using PaintBucketTool

Cruder than advice given, but within my wheelhouse...

My wheelhouse would be in PS, to sample the color, set a semi-hard brush and paint over the bars.  If the real color darkens on one end or another, I would resample. Then where the two colors meet, change opacity and blend. 

Sometimes in LR, using the remove CA tool, I'm left with an obvious white line around tops of buildings. I sample the sky and remove it, or I use the clone tool, (favorite) and sample just above the white line with a small brush. This takes care of sky fades because the clone brush changes color, too as it moves and resamples.

For anyone unaware, sample your piece of sky or whatever, then start your brush at beginning of correction with a click. Then hold down the shift key on a Mac and put the brush at the end of your correction, click. Works perfect for straight lines like roofs.  If you have curves, you can still do it, but must use close together clicks. Using the clone tool in PS, even though the 2nd click moves the brush like lightning, it is still sampling right above each bit as long as you hold down the shift key.

I like it because just freehanding my mouse usually has wobbles from an unsteady hand, lol. Figure out how it works on a PC.

Betty

Bill Brooks    682

Jeff:

“Focal Point” may be working with drones and may know about the problem. 

He stopped posting to the forum, but if he is still a member you may be able to open a private conversation with him.

• Upvote 1

JeffGreenberg    366

Know FP.

Am near certain my artifact issue on still shots is a one-off.

Have to return to factory under warranty asap...

For those requesting a DNG, if still interested:

www.photosphotos.net/ArtifactsParallelBars.DNG

parallel bars found in sky, on bridge, on distant buildings, on boats, on dock...

After laboring over last 3 days to clean up ~25 of 71 images,

am especially curious if any quick technique works,

such as "move-1-or-2-or-3-pixels presto!" technique...?

Not asking anyone to show results of a labor-intensive technique...

Just one that takes only a minute or three for this DNG...?

Thanks in advance, if willing.

wiskerke    1,847
4 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Know FP.

Am near certain my artifact issue on still shots is a one-off.

Have to return to factory under warranty asap...

For those requesting a DNG, if still interested:

www.photosphotos.net/ArtifactsParallelBars.DNG

parallel bars found in sky, on bridge, on distant buildings, on boats, on dock...

After laboring over last 3 days to clean up ~25 of 71 images,

am especially curious if any quick technique works,

such as "move-1-or-2-or-3-pixels presto!" technique...?

Not asking anyone to show results of a labor-intensive technique...

Just one that takes only a minute or three for this DNG...?

Thanks in advance, if willing.

Is this from your SD card? It looks suspiciously like blinkies for over exposure.

Do you have one or two directly from your SD card, that have not gone through some sort of processing yet?

The fact that those stripes are not parallel is baffling. I have never seen anything like it.

wim

• Upvote 1

JeffGreenberg    366

Thanks.

Mavic images have single horizonal stripes

& a few long vertical stripes in black areas,

not in bright white areas.

This issue started after recent return from

factory for other camera issue.

PS. card has always remained in P4P+ & same DJI-provided

cable connects from P4P+ to laptop to transfer DNGs...

Edited by JeffGreenberg

wiskerke    1,847

I always mark my cards. Especially before handing a camera in. Usually a service dept does not want cards nor lens caps; straps and the like.

wim

• Upvote 1