Exclusivity inquiry ... (Trade Books/Cover)

As we know there are "Exclusivity inquiry" emails coming in last months. The client wants to buy an exclusive license as below:

Image: xxxxxa
Usage: Trade/Retail book cover
Duration: 10 years
Territory: Worldwide
Exclusivity: Industry/Spot (Trade Books/Cover)

The client’s fee would be $950 USD and is non-negotiable.

If you would approve, any similar/sister images should be restricted from sale in the same manner, including images: xxxxxb

Here are two of my images under inquiry: 

DEYJKX (and similar DEYJ7C)

DNBY4R (and similar F8C53D)

Curious, what are yours? 

Ok, the real idea is to see how many of us got that emails and what is going on...

Edited by Arletta

Philippe, that's the case - there are lots of inquiries in last around 12 months and nobody I know got any sale ever. Images are completly various in quality and subject, the price seems to include both the chosen image and any similar, so if you must freeze 6 images for their EX, you get only $950 for all, which is ridiculous. Even for one image for book cover, 10 years exclusivity, the price is not attractive at all. Of course if they will ever buy it... ;)

From what I see here and on the FB group, many people got that emails...

It would be nice Alamy cleared that thing to us, what is going on, as the whole case clearly looks weird.

Edited by Arletta
  • Love 1

I'm new here, and this letter was received for the first time, but I think that there can be no question of any motivation in this form. After all, the author can think that really someone interested in the work and if they are on other sites, then begin the procedure of removing therefrom, which as everyone understands, takes a lot of time and if the result is negative, you will probably lose profits.
All this is not quite right in my opinion. I would like to hear the opinion of Alami about this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Arletta said:

And here we go again... Maybe it's a new way to do this business? :P Or some kind of a game?

Interesting choice this time, don't you think? ;)

FXW112

I'm thinking maybe it could be composited with another image?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I remembered that I had read something about these 950 $ inquiries, had one today. Reading this forum I dont expect much, but as its only one mail to another agency I give it a try.

Anybody else here with this kind of inquiry ?

Usage: Trade/Retail book cover
Duration: 10 years
Territory: Worldwide
Exclusivity: Trade Books/Cover

I had one a couple of years ago for $950 - it was a simple, nicely shot, image of a herring gull - one never licensed before. I said yes, but nothing came of it.

A few years ago one of those sites we don't mention offered me $750 ($375 to me) for a one-year exclusive of a simple background image. I"d made a bit over $100 on it in the two years prior, so I said yes.

The restriction seems pretty narrow and I'd guess that you could put the restrictions in the caption and that Alamy would be aware of them since  they are handling the license. If you're not making over $100 in royalties a year on the image, I'd guess that $750 ($475 to you) over ten years might be worthwhile. I have some images that don't sell more than once every 5-10 years, and many that haven't sold at all, so I guess it depends on how well the photos in question do for you. 

The replies are as expected, but as the effort is low to block a picture at another agency I gave it a try. 

Would be nice if everybody who received similar mails shares the outcome, usually after 2 month decision should be made.

I had one of those enquiries back in early November 2018. It was the same terms/conditions from an American publisher.

kr7451 / Wonky garden gate.

Nothing came of it either.

Allan

• 7 months later...