geogphotos

Rakuten marketing affiliate scheme

geogphotos    194

I saw the Alamy blog about this and thought I'd sign up. I have created a Rakuten account easily enough and then following Alamy's blog instructions searched for 'Alamy'. I found what looks like the correct page, clicked to select Alamy US, Alamy Aus, Alamy UK and then get an error message

Has anybody managed to set this up?

More generally what are your thoughts about the whole scheme? 

Not sure what is wrong with my website - possibly because is at Photoshelter, could that be it? 

www.geographyphotos.com

Edited by geogphotos
grammar correction

I'm still pending for UK and US, didn't apply for AUS. Set it all up and applied Friday 3 days ago.

Edited by Martin Carlsson
Felt like it.

M.Chapman    518

Alamy's Affiliate program blog is here

Mmm... So if a customer buys some photographers' images within 30 days of having "clicked thru" to Alamy from an affiliate site (not associated with the photographers), the affiliate site owner gets 20% of the sales revenue as a referral commission... I wonder who pays for this? I imagine such image sales will appear as discounted sales, with Alamy and the image photographers sharing the cost of the referral commission equally? Or will Alamy pay all of it? In principle it should drive more business to Alamy's site, but does this come at a cost?

From the Alamy blog about the commission payed to affiliates...

For every customer that comes to Alamy via a text link or banner on your site, you’ll earn 20% of the sale for any image sales made, as long as the customer buys from us within 30 days of clicking the link. This commission rate applies to new and returning customers, so your visitors can click a link each time they buy from us and you’ll always get your commission if they buy within 30 days.

Sounds quite generous to the affiliate to me.  Or have I misunderstood totally?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

KevinS    35

Ian,

I signed up and selected Alamy US. Got the same message you did. In my case, I suspect my traffic count is too low. Don't really know anything about this, but I expect a message from Alamy soon explaining why or maybe even approving my site.

geogphotos    194
8 minutes ago, KevinS said:

Ian,

I signed up and selected Alamy US. Got the same message you did. In my case, I suspect my traffic count is too low. Don't really know anything about this, but I expect a message from Alamy soon explaining why or maybe even approving my site.

Yes, thanks, that could be it. But I don't suppose that many photographer sites have massive amounts of traffic. Can't see that they lose out anyway.

funkyworm    635

I am delving deep into the grey matter here so please allow for that.

One or two POD's I work with have affiliate programmes. Many see little returns but I have read that there are companies whose purpose is to drive traffic to the sites and earn on the affiliate payments. Which sounds great, but can lead to overdependency, eggs and baskets and such. A change in policy from one or two major players and these companies are stuffed.

There is also the question of who pays for the 20%. Does it come out of Alamy share or the suppliers or both? I recall with one POD where part of the percentage came out of the suppliers pocket there was suggestion that the POD itself was sometimes the referend party.

geogphotos    194

Well, I haven't thought about it at all :)

It took seconds to cut and paste the HTML code and would take milliseconds to remove it!

I am not expecting much if anything. No idea how the mechanics of it work with the 20%.

Perhaps I am now an Alamy distributor?

Edited by geogphotos

M.Chapman    518
1 hour ago, KevinS said:

Where the 20% comes from is shown on Alamy's affiliate help page:

http://www.alamy.com/customer/help/affiliate-program.aspx

Thanks for posting that. So the Affiliate gets 20% of the sale value, Rakuten get 6%, Alamy 24% and the photographer still gets 50%.

That's good to see. I'm pleasantly surprised. Let's hope it stays that way. :)

Shame Alamy distributor sales aren't set up like that.;)

It shows that photographers with their own websites could get 70% if they refer customers on to Alamy. Definitely worth doing...

Here's how the commission structure works:

If an image sells for $100, you, the publisher, make $20... and of course, we alwayspay our photographers 50%.

If you're an Alamy photographer with your own website, then this could be a great additional revenue stream for you!

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

fotoDogue    496
34 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

It shows that photographers with their own websites could get 70% if they refer customers on to Alamy. Definitely worth doing...

Mark

Doesn't that presume the client licenses one of the referring photographer's photos?

I wonder if the link goes to that particular photographer's images or all of Alamy.

fD

Reimar    185

Check the blog mentioned above John.  Looks easy if you have a website.

M.Chapman    518
47 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

Doesn't that presume the client licenses one of the referring photographer's photos?

I wonder if the link goes to that particular photographer's images or all of Alamy.

fD

Yes it does. So it maybe best to use a link to just your own portfolio on Alamy (if that's possible?) and/or hope they don't discover all the other Alamy contributor's images of the same subjects?

John Mitchell    1,890
1 hour ago, Reimar said:

Check the blog mentioned above John.  Looks easy if you have a website.

Thanks, I guess this must be the post.

I've been thinking of canning my PhotoShelter website because it no longer pays for itself. Not sure if the affiliate scheme would help, but I'm going to apply. Sounds as if chances of being accepted are slim, though.

fotoDogue    496
On 7/17/2017 at 08:20, geogphotos said:

I saw the Alamy blog about this and thought I'd sign up. I have created a Rakuten account easily enough and then following Alamy's blog instructions searched for 'Alamy'. I found what looks like the correct page, clicked to select Alamy US, Alamy Aus, Alamy UK and then get this error message

I0000keeO7onoZl8.jpg

Has anybody managed to set this up?

More generally what are your thoughts about the whole scheme? 

Not sure what is wrong with my website - possibly because is at Photoshelter, could that be it? 

www.geographyphotos.com

Seems to be working now.

http://www.geographyphotos.com/

geogphotos    194
9 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

Seems to be working now.

http://www.geographyphotos.com/

Yes, as reported above Alamy were very helpful in sorting it out. They sent me an invite through the Rakuten system and all I had to do was accept.

They told me that there was no reason why my website was not acceptable and that there must be a glitch in the system.

So, the message is clear. Any problems, contact Alamy rather than taking it as a rejection. They will check your website and send invite.

KevinS    35

After contacting Alamy, the affiliate link is on my site (text). Had a bit of trouble with the banner type of link, which I can try again when I have more time. That link is to Alamy's home page. A separate link (not affiliate marketing) has long been available from Alamy to direct traffic to just your images. 

www.kevinshields.com

M.Chapman    518
3 hours ago, KevinS said:

After contacting Alamy, the affiliate link is on my site (text). Had a bit of trouble with the banner type of link, which I can try again when I have more time. That link is to Alamy's home page. A separate link (not affiliate marketing) has long been available from Alamy to direct traffic to just your images. 

www.kevinshields.com

I see the affiliate link offers a 20% discount to those using it. So it will reduce $ per image, although more images might be sold. Consider a hypothetical Image that would have sold for $100. Originally Alamy would get $50 and the photographer would get $50.

Under the affiliate program, the same image sells for $80 (because the customer can claim a 20% discount).

The photographer gets $40 (50% of the sale revenue)

The affiliate gets $16 (20% of the sale revenue)

Rakuten get $4.80 (6% of the sale revenue)

This leaves Alamy with just $19.20 (24% of the sale revenue)

Quite a reduction in $/image for Alamy.

However, if the affiliate system generates new sales (that would not have occurred at all before), everyone still wins. :)

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Upvote 1

KevinS    35

Mark,

There are currently 28 different links available for Alamy US, some with discounts, some without. I chose a discount one to better see if I can send some traffic to Alamy. Not sure what the starting point is for any discount. I'd love to see some sales at 80% of the calculator price. Today I was able to get a banner type link to appear on my site, so I can say that the process is simple, no skills needed except point and click, copy and paste.

Edited by KevinS
  • Upvote 1

Cryptoprocta    280
On 19/07/2017 at 17:56, M.Chapman said:

Thanks for posting that. So the Affiliate gets 20% of the sale value, Rakuten get 6%, Alamy 24% and the photographer still gets 50%.

That's good to see. I'm pleasantly surprised. Let's hope it stays that way. :)

Shame Alamy distributor sales aren't set up like that.;)

Here's how the commission structure works:

If an image sells for $100, you, the publisher, make $20... and of course, we alwayspay our photographers 50%.

If you're an Alamy photographer with your own website, then this could be a great additional revenue stream for you!

Mark

I don't think it's that clear. To me, it's a bit obfuscatory that they say, "You, the publisher make $20, and of course, we always pay our photographers 50%.

But of course, that doesn't always mean 50% of the total sales value.

With distributors, the distributor gets 40%, and we get 50% of what's left, i.e. 30%.

So with this deal, togs could get 50% of the total, but equally well, they could get 50% of 80%, i.e. 40%.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
typo
  • Upvote 1

M.Chapman    518
6 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I don't think it's that clear. To me, it's a bit obfuscatory that they say, "You, the publisher make $20, and of course, we always pay our photographers 50%.

But of course, that doesn't always mean 50% of the total sales value.

With distributors, the distributor gets 40%, and we get 50% of what's left, i.e. 30%.

So with this deal, togs could get 50% of the total, but equally well, they could get 50% of 80%, i.e. 40%.

Fortunately the graphic at the bottom of Alamy's Affiliate program help page (here) makes it clear, it's 50%.

pie-chart.png

Mark

• Upvote 1

Cryptoprocta    280
3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Fortunately the graphic at the bottom of Alamy's Affiliate program help page (here) makes it clear, it's 50%.

pie-chart.png

Mark

Thanks for that. I was blinded by cynicism brought on by dealings with the big G. Apologies to Alamy.